BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

Not getting carried away, but trying to take something positive out of our recent slump (it is Xmas).

Our one genuine combative midfielder showed signs today he is finally on his way back. Playing against the Chelsea midfield is always a difficult test but I thought Reid looked ok today.

He broke up some Chelsea attacks and looked full of running. He was trying to get into the box as well and was unlucky not to score (great save from Cech).

He is simple with the ball at his feet but at least he does not give it away (well today he did not).

I am sure he still needs more games to get properly back in the groove, but a fully fit Reid in our midfield is a bonus, and at least something to look forward to.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

having seen Reid play in the reserves i was doubtful as to whether we could really expect him to get back into the first team but I'm glad to see that he's proving me wrong. He's now played consecutive games and is looking like he can cope with the demands of the premier league. great!

Not writing him off as it will take time, but he has been very morbidly ordinary since he's returned.

He was poor yesterday, and only Rovers fans could even try and convince themselves otherwise.

I thought he was alright, not brilliant but arguably had as good a game as Dunn and Pedersen and a much better one than Tugay. Only Bentley outshone im (although admittedly by a fair distance) in the midfield.

After yesterday it would be Dunn I woul dbe worrying about more in the CM stakes. Just didn't have the pace to close down at all, although when he was on the ball he did show moments of quality.

I think to say he was poor is a huge exaggeration. He's not going to be back to anywhere near his previous standard after such a long lay of from not one but 2 potentially career threatening injuries, but I thought he might never really get back on the pitch and am delighted to see he's slowly but surely improving.

One ting that was so obvious to me yesterday was just how one-footed Reid actually is. I just dont think he can even control the ball with his left foot and that then means he has to run in big cirles to get the ball on his good foot!

Good to see him back though - would love to see another Wigan screamer again soon!

• 1 month later...

Ominous news that Reid has been sent back from the Ireland squad with what their caretaker manager has described as a condition "more seriuos than first thought" on his "suspect" knee. This follows reports in national papers that he had a knee problem a couple of weeks ago. It is not unusual for cruciate repairs to fail to stand up to the rigours of training and matches. If this turns out to be serious Rovers are back to exactly where they were 12 months ago in terms of centre midfield...Moko, Tugay and Dunn. It also underlines the folly of not getting someone in during the January window.

Ominous news that Reid has been sent back from the Ireland squad with what their caretaker manager has described as a condition "more seriuos than first thought" on his "suspect" knee. This follows reports in national papers that he had a knee problem a couple of weeks ago. It is not unusual for cruciate repairs to fail to stand up to the rigours of training and matches. If this turns out to be serious Rovers are back to exactly where they were 12 months ago in terms of centre midfield...Moko, Tugay and Dunn. It also underlines the folly of not getting someone in during the January window.

Was'nt he on Ireland duty before when he suffered a set back.

If this turns out to be serious Rovers are back to exactly where they were 12 months ago in terms of centre midfield...Moko, Tugay and Dunn. It also underlines the folly of not getting someone in during the January window.

Add to that, we have got two wingers in Bentley and Pedersen, plus two unproven ones in Treacy and Peter, behind them we've basically got none. Our midfield is starting to look weak..

Any update on this? Maybe another ploy by rovers to keep players fit? Hopefully....

End of Article

"Elsewhere, Steven Reid ha been pulled out of the Republic of Ireland's friendly against Brazil with a knee injury.

Reid failed to train at all, but Mr Williams said it was too early to say whether it would effect his chances of facing Arsenal on Monday."

Doesn't sound good. With Dunn already out i bet we are starting to regret not getting anyone at all in.

Rather we rested Reid against Le arse to be honest. We're not going to get anything from there, so we might as well give Reid some more rest until our far more important game after which i think is bolton at Ewood! :rover:

nonsense

English-Carling-Cup-2007-2008

Blackburn vs Arsenal 2:3

English-Premier-League-2007-2008

Blackburn vs Arsenal 1:1

English-FA-Cup-2006-2007

Blackburn vs Arsenal 1:0

Arsenal vs Blackburn 0:0

English-Premier-League-2006-2007

Blackburn vs Arsenal 0:2

Arsenal vs Blackburn 6:2

English-Premier-League-2005-2006

Blackburn vs Arsenal 1:0

Arsenal vs Blackburn 3:0

Recurrent fluid on the knee is a very ominous sign after a knee reconsruction. It suggests cartilege damage due to incorrect alignment in the joint and this is a condition that ends more playing careers than anything else eg David Thompson and Ledley King. It points to Rovers going into next season with only 4 reliable midfielders - Mokoena, Dunn, Pederson and Bentley though he'll probably have gone by then.

Recurrent fluid on the knee is a very ominous sign after a knee reconsruction. It suggests cartilege damage due to incorrect alignment in the joint and this is a condition that ends more playing careers than anything else eg David Thompson and Ledley King. It points to Rovers going into next season with only 4 reliable midfielders - Mokoena, Dunn, Pederson and Bentley though he'll probably have gone by then.

I thought you said 4 RELIABLE midfielders?

Archived