• Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • Santa Cruz
    • McCarthy
    • Tugay
    • Roberts
    • Derbyshire

That's very harsh, Paul.

Hughes' advice to any guy making a debut has always been, 'keep it simple.' And that's what Olsson's done when he's played. No doubt Steven Warnock was like that when he made his debut for Liverpool. It's with games that most young players develop the confidence to start taking more risks. Anyone see Nicky Shorey play for England would have noticed that he was not exactly trying to dominate possession of the football. It's natural for someone making a debut on a big stage to be conservative in their play - especially a defender.

Incidentally, I read that Gamst was booed by Rovers fans. That's very harsh and short-sighted. The guy is out-of-form and no doubt very anxious to get back to scoring spectacular goals for Rovers - and he will get back to that level.,

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

We were ineffectual and CRAP !!

Pedersen? what a waste of a first team place he was today... couldn't cross a ball, couldn't beat the first man from a corner, couldn't beat the wall with a free kick.... what the &**% do we pay him for ?????

Bloody Chris Samba had more idea about going forward today than our mid-field and attack put together !!

There was no passion, no desire ... apart from two people - Brad Friedel and Chris Samba... the rest might well have not been on then pitch !! and i I'm honest (after Thursday and todays performances... ) I wish they weren't !!

Incidentally, I read that Gamst was booed by Rovers fans. That's very harsh and short-sighted. The guy is out-of-form and no doubt very anxious to get back to scoring spectacular goals for Rovers - and he will get back to that level.,
I agree with that wholeheartedly Rover6. We know what we can do and he's just out of form. It happens but players can gain form just as quickly as they lose it. I believe that the feelings around him are borne out of frustration. We know how good he can be so when he plays poorly, it's just such a contrast and is easily picked upon.

Emerton was amazing last season and 1 bad game and hes useless

i respect you live in japan and would be dissapointing for you to come and see something like that but y cant we finish 4th? ohh yes 1 or 2 bad performances and were s***

Same as above really, nstead of slaging of the team get behind them!!!

As for the people who booed off mccarthy and pedersen, well im disgusted, absolutly shocking should be embarassed of yourselves!!!

GET BEHIND THE LADS!!!!!!!

ha ha sure you would, who could you buy better theses days for 5million

Still, at least you made me laugh andrew. Talk about blind optimism.

Although I do with rover6 would actually watch a match from time to time.

I agree with that wholeheartedly Rover6. We know what we can do and he's just out of form. It happens but players can gain form just as quickly as they lose it. I believe that the feelings around him are borne out of frustration. We know how good he can be so when he plays poorly, it's just such a contrast and is easily picked upon.

Don't remember there being too much booing but what are you meant to do give him a standing ovation?

He's just not playing well and needs to work hard to regain his form. Simple as.

Maybe a recall for Gallacher, he could play on the left perhaps. Don't think you could pin your hopes on Olsson.

I think Birmingham will have a full team out on Weds, don't know who will play for us?

Peter's injured. Silly boy.

That doesn't get in the way of a crusade against MGP!

The only surprising thing is that a certain board member isn't suggesting playing one of the U10s ahead of him yet. The basis for the opinion being he saw his name mentioned on a post on the internet regarding a schools trophy. Just as good as watching a match, dontcha know!

I think Birmingham will have a full team out on Weds, don't know who will play for us?

Bruce said after the game yesterday that he'd be making quite a few changes for Wednesday. (Not that that means he definately will)

Samba did OK compared to the others. However there was once when a Pompey player outpaced Ooijer and was clean through on the inside right channel. Samba had to go towards him but ran 30 yards parallel to the player who ended up dragging a free shot wide (I think).

Hughes said he will freshen up our team for the Brum game, as our players looked tired and leggy today. He also the said the "efforts" of Thursday led to fatigue. God help us if we get into the group stages of the UEFA then, as our away games (post UEFA cup matches) will be even harder to get any points from.

Apart from Reid/Nelsen, we do not have that many injuries/suspensions yet, I do worry how the team will perform when they injuries/suspensions inevitably come along.

Portsmouth played us very well today. 2 men closing down Bentley and MGP when they got the ball, 3 men overrunning Dunn and Savage in the middle and once they got ahead it didn't look like we were going to get back, apart from a mistake or free kick. MGP was our biggest threat for the first 10 minutes and then he was very poor. Was impressed with Santa Cruz's work rate - although next to Benny at the moment I'd look industrious! Just a real bad day at the office that we need to get out of our system quickly.

Why did we keep pumping the ball up the middle, bye passing the midfield.

We played to Portsmouth strengths with high balls that they were capable of winning all afternoon.

The ball should have been played along the ground, but where the heck is our midfield. Where were Bentley and MGP, were they hugging the touch line, were they heck. For those who having a go at McCarthy, what service did he get. When will fans realise that He's a poacher in the penalty area. Even Santa had to go out to the wings to find the ball.

We are not making chances for the strikers, heck I cant remember James being tested all afternoon. Although I did miss the first 15 minutes due to the highways department closing lanes on the M6, FOR WORKS THAT HAVENT STARTED YET.

For those who travel between junction 31 and 33 the M6 will have road works until December on both North & South bound carriageways. :angry:

Olsson has played for 15 minutes against a Finnish side, who were one step above a non-league team. Only a moron of the highest order could a. make any kind of judgement on that performance and b. suggest he starts a game at this level. As for the Axe being on the bench, it makes perfect sense when you're a goal up to steady things up in midfield.

my take on the game from the upper echelons of the JW Stand was that quite simply Rovers were crap apart from the first 15 minutes.

I remain mystified as to how Rovers can lose control of a game that should have been sewn up withing quarter of an hour. Cruz and Benni missed two golden opportunities between them then we go and throw the game away.

Rovers had no ideas as to how to bypass the 5 man midfield.

The idiot clamouring for Tugay failed to realise that he is an ageing player with some skill, he also failed to realise that he could not cope with the runs made by muntari and utaka, not to mention combat papa diop and davis.

I am very very disappointed about today.

Rovers are suffering the biggest hangover since Trelleborg.

Cant wait for Wednesday HONEST <_<

saw mr wilky after the game and we were both speechless...that was awful ,it was a very lazy all round performence ,there was no urgency and it boiled down to pompey wanting it more...cant believe a hughsie team as lacked passion for two in a row.

Biggest worry for me: Hughes had no plan b. We couldn't change formation, we couldn't do anything. He made the substitutions at pretty much his standard times (Tugay on a little early) and as one last throw of the dice made the third change. By the looks of things we're stuck with a 4-4-2 and if that doesn't work then we have to hope.

Am totally gutted by today, but in truth felt we didn't do anything to deserve to win, but didn't think Portsmouth were much better than us, so maybe a draw would have been fair. But saying that if it hadn't been for Brad we could have lost 3 games on the bounce 4-0!

What worries me most is that in 3 games we have failed to score and not looked like scoring, I'm not a big Benni fan but he is (given half a chance) a good finisher, Santa Cruz is class and for me has looked our best striker, Roberts & Derbyshire used in bit parts. So that asked the question what is our best front 2, last season at the end Roberts (power) and McCarthy looked unstoppable, but with Santa Cruz's class and Derbyshire's eye for goal a very difficult choice! We have 2 world class strikers but do they work together? (i don't think so) but what would you do?

Problem is that if our wide players do not create, then we do not offer much else in an attacking sense. We used to have a ball playing central midfielder (Tugay) in previous seasons.

It is a slight concern, as if I were an opposing manager, I would use Pompey as a template to beat us when coming to Ewood.

The main part of our game is playing with a high tempo and intensity, and if we do not have that, then we are going to struggle. Hughes has said that himself.

Guest fernhurstblue
Problem is that if our wide players do not create, then we do not offer much else in an attacking sense. We used to have a ball playing midfielder (Tugay) in previous seasons.

It is a slight concern, as if I were an opposing manager, I would use Pompey as a template to beat us when coming to Ewood.

The main part of our game is playing with a high tempo and intensity, and if we do not have that, then we are going to struggle. Hughes has said that himself.

couldn't agree more ..... also why lump ball, time after time, into the box when the have 4 huge defenders, didnt the players think it might be an idea to play balls down the channels and get the portsmouth defenders running at their own goal, just a thought, but then i dont get paid 40 grand a week to think ..... do i :angry:

Very poor performance.

We started well but then just got sucked into the way that Pompey wanted us to play. Their midfield totally and utterly controlled the game, Rovers players lacked their usual sharpness and could not work out how to break down Portsmouth. Friedal, Samba, Santa and Warnock played well the rest of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. I think on Wednesday Hughes will freshen up the team. I think that the last week has been a massive reality check for players and fans, we have a superb team but at the moment we are not ready to challenge for a top 4 place.

Guest fernhurstblue
Very poor performance.

We started well but then just got sucked into the way that Pompey wanted us to play. Their midfield totally and utterly controlled the game, Rovers players lacked their usual sharpness and could not work out how to break down Portsmouth. Friedal, Samba, Santa and Warnock played well the rest of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. I think on Wednesday Hughes will freshen up the team. I think that the last week has been a massive reality check for players and fans, we have a superb team but at the moment we are not ready to challenge for a top 4 place.

we never where ready, people get far to carried away with things ..... do think that over 38 games rovers would be more consistant than arsenal, chelsea, liverpool or man utd is living is cloud cuckoo land!!!!!

Archived