• Santa Cruz
    • McCarthy
    • Tugay
    • Roberts
    • Derbyshire

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Rover_groo comes up with his review, we can merge it with this one.

Sitting on the fence on this game.

We could watch Pompey walk all over a Euro-hungover Rovers side or we could paste them in a Hughes hairdryer mkII inspired backlash. Glad I'm not a betting man!

Pompey have a large squad now and most of their players fit again so Harry could go 4-4-2, 4-5-1 or 4-3-3. Got to watch Utaka's speed and hope Kanu doesn't have one of his supremely brilliant days.

James is top of the goalkeeping charts for the number of saves made which means the opposition is getting through the Pompey defence most often for him to have the saves to makes. That said, Pompey have had a far tougher start to the season fixture list than we have.

Fortunately, Rovers on song are good enough for it not to matter what Pompey side turns up. A Larissa repeat and we'll get a larruping.

Win and we are certain to be at least 7th and a quite probable to move up to 4th looking at the other fixtures.

Lawrenson has gone confidently for a Rovers win 2-0 which makes me very nervous. I think we will edge it and it could be 3-2.

Right, come on chaps and chapesses let's all cheer up and be positive.

David James is the worst keeper I have seen (I honestly think that!) and will gift us at least one goal on Sunday. Traore may also play :D

We have won 5 out of 6 home games in the Prem against Pompey.

We can't be as bad as Thursday.

Roque is due a goal, and we are due a pen.

Samba will be sent out there as long as he knows where he is (not necessarily who he is).

That reminds me....remember the story about Bill Shankly when a midfiielder got a kick on the head and at Half Time the physio said "he can't carry on boss, he doesn't know who he is", Bill told him to "Tell him he's Pele and send him back out"

Rovers 3 Pompey 0

Santa Cruz, Dunn (pen), Derbyshire

David James is the worst keeper I have seen (I honestly think that!) and will gift us at least one goal on Sunday. Traore may also play :D

We have won 5 out of 6 home games in the Prem against Pompey.

We can't be as bad as Thursday.

Roque is due a goal, and we are due a pen.

Samba will be sent out there as long as he knows where he is (not necessarily who he is).

That reminds me....remember the story about Bill Shankly when a midfiielder got a kick on the head and at Half Time the physio said "he can't carry on boss, he doesn't know who he is", Bill told him to "Tell him he's Pele and send him back out"

Rovers 3 Pompey 0

......and Portsmouth haven't won a game away from home this year!

Rovers 3 Pompey 0

:lol: Oh yes, that was Shankly alright. He was a real hard man and a joker with it. I can believe he actually did say that.

Rovers v Pompey games since start of premier league........

92/93.....no game

93/94.....no game

94/95.....no game

95/96.....no game

96/97.....no game

97/98.....no game

98/99.....no game

99/00 Rovers 1 v 1 Portsmouth.....17,263 (div 1)

00/01 Rovers 3 v 1 Portsmouth.....24,257 (div 1)

01/02.....no game

02/03.....no game

03/04 Rovers 1 v 2 Portsmouth.....22,855 (prem)

04/05 Rovers 1 v 0 Portsmouth.....20,647 (prem)

05/06 Rovers 2 v 1 Portsmouth.....19,521 (prem)

06/07 Rovers 3 v 0 Portsmouth.....17,434 (prem)

Goals for :brfc: 11

Goals against 5

:brfc: W4 L1 D1

total attendance (in premiership)... 80,457

average attendance.....20,114

I used to love his interviews, in fact I'd pay for a DVD full of them.

The sourpuss that is Maureen couldn't hold a candle to the great Shanks. True football legend.

Thursday was an aberation and I fully expect Rovers to play with a determination to erase that result from our minds. We've seen some excellent and entertaining football at Ewood this season and I see no reason why it should not continue on Sunday. Rovers to win a fast, physical and committed game 3 - 1.

That's rubbish. We're much tougher but that's not the point. Sherwood's not siding with either side. <_<

I think it could be a draw but I'm hoping for a 2-1 win with Benni and Santa scoring for Rovers and Taylor getting a consilation goal for them so my fantasy team can get a few points. ;)

My team:-

..............Friedel...................

Emo, Samba, Zurab, Warnock

Bentley, Tugay, Sav, MGP

..........Benni, Santa.............

I think we'll need a strong line-up to get 3 points. :unsure:

It will be interesting to see if Hughes 'freshens' the team up. I do think Pompey have a talented squad.

There should be a lot of energy in our play, as Hughes would have kicked some butts after Thursday.

The top teams usually react with a win after a bad defeat, so lets see how we get on.

I think tommorow will be a good guide to the rest of the season. If we are serious about a top 7 finish then home games with mid-table teams should be wins. A win over Pompey should leave us in the top 6 with a (winnable) game in hand still over the teams around us. Then things will start looking an awful lot bewtter than they did at 6.00pm last Thursday.

Archived