• Santa Cruz
    • McCarthy
    • Tugay
    • Roberts
    • Derbyshire

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing that happened yesterday that was a surprise was we failed to receive a single yellow card! Not one, not even Savage could get himself booked!

I may have a short memory here but I can not remember this happening in the recent past, and does that mean we were missing our aggressive side yesterday and not pressurising the opposition as we normally would?

A few random points:

MGP is taking a lot of stick but golden boy Bentley was equally as poor if not worse yesterday and has been most of the season. I'd have brought Roberts on for either of them at least 20 minutes earlier and gone 3 up front.

I've been one of McCarthy's biggest critics but I actually thought he worked a lot harder than usual yesterday. Unfortunately he was dropping far too deep minimising his effectiveness and leaving Santa Cruz completely isolated. They don't work well as a pairing.

Still don't think Ooijer is anywhere near Premiership standard.

i agree with you -on these points, rev.

bentley- put in a couple of decent crosses, in the 1st 15mins, but after that he did precious little. i dont know how he seems to escape flak, maybe because he's english ?

mgp- i'll say this for him, no matter how bad he plays, he still puts the effort in (in tracking back and closing down). his touch and vision have left him at the moment, and he didnt seem his usual smiling self yesterday (when he greeted the riverside). something is definetly up.

benni - i thought he put a shift in yesterday, but nothing came off. he did drop far too deep at times though.

ooijer- i've given the guy a chance and he still doesnt convince me. the only thing he offers us is arial prowess(although diop out jumped him for kanu's goal), and that's not enough. his positional play is poor and he consistantly gets too tight to his men, and if they have the presence of mind to spin in behind him, he has no answer to it - and cant catch them (same goes if he's being run at - like benjani yesterday).

he's obviously been a decent player in his time, but he's used to playing in a side that plys 3 at the back/at full back, and holland arent famed for having great defenders. whenever i watch the dutch league, it reminds me of a giant five aside game.

it was a blip and we were devoid of ideas yesterday. we'll get frustating games like that- but hopefully not too many!

MGP is taking a lot of stick but golden boy Bentley was equally as poor if not worse yesterday and has been most of the season. I'd have brought Roberts on for either of them at least 20 minutes earlier and gone 3 up front.

Can't agree with ya there Rev. Don't get me wrong we need Pedersen back to his best asap but Bentley was trying to do everything in midfield yesterday coz no-body else looked likely to effect the game.

Yes some of Bentleys balls into the box weren't as good as they sometimes are, but Pedersens were terrible again. How many times does he hit the side-netting lately???

Obviously teams are fully aware of Bentley's abilities now and will try to counter him. He seems to be moving into a lot of different positions this season so maybe we to accomodate him somewhere else than on the right.

Agree about Ooijer though. Zurab next game please Sparky...

how can a team playing good football against the likes of City and Arsenal put in a preformance like that. The likes of McCarthy and MGP should be ashamed of themselves they were dire yesterday, do they think they are some kind of superstars or something and don't need to put in the effort anymore.

The only ones to come away with any credit yesterday were Brad, Samba and Cruz, i really do hope McCarthy and MGP get dropped for the next game. because they deserve it

:rover: noticed anything about the last 2 home games,

:ph34r: savage was clattered in the opening minutes,thus making him a target off opposing teams :wstu::brfc:

mmmmm .... funnily enough Waggy I mentioned this at the game yesterday.

Have to agree with TND - wouldn't say they played that much better after the first 15 mins Pomey but they played their game to perfection and controlled it from then on - we just played into their hands with our hoofs forward and lack of imagination. Another thing is the doing something different - Rovers do not have a Plan B

The worrying and disappointing aspect from my point of view is

1. I expected a big big reaction to Thursday 's performance - which for the first 15 mins it looked like we where going to get - but then we just seem to lose the plot and gave up.

2. As has been mentioned , that was the the third game running where we have failed to score and have hardly looked like scoring in the process except for the odd chance and the opposition goailes have not had to work.

3. Yet again, in IMO we gave away yet another goal - how many this season? We must cut out the defensive lapses.

4. Also mentioned , and what I have commented upon before - our laborious and often slow attacking approach and why does it take us so long to decide on a pass.

5. Your goalkeeper should not have to perform like Friedal did yesterday at home to keep you in a game

Anyway going forward - my suggestion would be the following for Wednesday.

Give Brown a chance

Drop MGP for Sergio if he is fit or as also mentioned -or as already mentioned by somebody push Warnock forward and give Olson a chance

Rigters /Derbyshire on the RHS

Roberts /Derbs (see above) /Santa to start up front

Push Bents into the middle with Tugay as he spends half his time now covering all over midfield.

Samba and Kish in the middle.

Brett or OOJER at RB

is that we lack pace an outlet and don’t have any alternative to Bentley or MGP who have both started the season poorly IMO

Bentley and MGP are playing well so far in this game. Dunn and Savage are being overwhelmed by three big men in the centre of the park. Harry's 4-5-1 is working because for once Kanu is shooting on target.

:rolleyes:

Have those people advocating wholesale changes to our team for Wednesday actually seen the players they want to include recently or are you just plucking names out of the squad list? If you think MGP is poor you should have seen one or two of our reserves recently. I have no doubt that Mark Hughes will make changes but I doubt he'll be as drastic as some seem to think he should be.

Both the Chelsea and Pompey games have seen the opposition out-fouling Rovers roughly 2 to 1.

It did strike me - in our last two games, teams have done to us what we normally do to them. Both in Greece and yesterday - there was a number of "iffy" looking challenges in the first 20 or so minutes from the opposition that went unpunished. After that we always seemed to look second best in most challenges (with the exception of Samba). Amazing that when we try to play football - we are offered little protection by referees - somewhat ironic. <_<

Have those people advocating wholesale changes to our team for Wednesday actually seen the players they want to include recently or are you just plucking names out of the squad list? If you think MGP is poor you should have seen one or two of our reserves recently.

It's all about competition for places. If Peter isn't fit and our reserves are poor then MGP knows (either consciously or subconsciously) that his place is under no threat. At the moment the same applies practically all over the pitch except up front.

The likes of McCarthy and MGP should be ashamed of themselves they were dire yesterday, do they think they are some kind of superstars or something and don't need to put in the effort anymore.

The only ones to come away with any credit yesterday were Brad, Samba and Cruz, i really do hope McCarthy and MGP get dropped for the next game. because they deserve it

Daft post.

1. they are superstars and especially so in their own country.

2. According to your final sentence we should surely be dropping ALL 8 who you say came away with no credit.

Can I hear the sound of someone jumping on a bandwagon I wonder? After Sherwood, Wilcox, Carsley, Dailly, Davies, Dickov etc etc it's apparent that the fickle no-nowt supporters of BRFC always HAVE to have a scapegoat out there on the pitch. If no one qualifies then no matter we'll just pick on one and make it stick.

btw anybody ever kept hens?

You must credit Pompey. Defensively sound - Campbell and Distin were rock solid. Dangerous attack - Kanu's technique and a pacey midfield. I'm only suprised their points tally isn't higher.

We were not great but we'll improve.

I thought MGP and Benni were awful. Mccarthy doesn't look fit to me - not injured - out of shape.

I thought Rocky looked the business - but I'm not sure him and Benni are a great pairing.

Tugay proved he is the only midfielder we have (fit) capable of dictating the match tempo. Steven Reid hurry up and get fit.

Gutted yesterday - feeling better today. Chance to put it behind us on Wednesday. Play Tugay, Roberts, Mokoena.

first of all, all teams have bad games.

second we have a good back four and forwards.

Our midfield is not bad, but it has taken us as far as we can go with it ie top 6-8. Ifwe want to move to a top 4-6, then we need midfield players who can both attack and defend.

Yes we have players who can be one or the other, but are not good as doing both, ie sav, great at closing down, but lack a touch of class when he has the ball. tugay when he has the ball he has a real touch of class, but lack a bit in defending in the middle of the pitch, the player who can be both is dunn, and that says it all, yes a good player, but would a top four side buy him? All the top teams all have very good midfield unit who are all at ease, both in defending and attacking, and that is something that we lack however

The problem is

1 finding the players who can do this

2 finding the money and getting them to sign for us.

so good luck MH

My two main concerns over the pompey game were-

1) why was bentley forever playing out of position, he was playing centre midfield most of the time and kept popping up on MGP's side of the pitch. He seems to have gone off the boil since his england debut,

2) McCarthy doesn't seem to look happy at the moment and seems to be playing in a deeper role then usual, I don't know if its because of the partnership with santa cruz isn't working.

Why arent you all questioning the lack of influence from the centre of midfield, Dunn and Savage have been utter garbage in the past few games they've looked like championship players. The Sun today gave them both 4 out of 10 which i thought was an accurate reflection, i know eddie had asked for a further central midfielder during the summer transfer window which right now looks an accurate assesment for me.

Thank god for Friedel!

Why arent you all questioning the lack of influence from the centre of midfield, Dunn and Savage have been utter garbage in the past few games they've looked like championship players. The Sun today gave them both 4 out of 10 which i thought was an accurate reflection, i know eddie had asked for a further central midfielder during the summer transfer window which right now looks an accurate assesment for me.

Thank god for Friedel!

I agree JAL on both points. The last 3 games have seen very little from Savage and Dunn and we lack the personell to change it with the current squad. However prior to this spell the midfield centre had played well against City, Arsenal and Everton. In the case of the players taking the majority of the stick at the moment they haven't contributed at all this season from an attacking point of view.

Oh, and thank god for Friedel.

Thank god for Friedel!

You mean, I cant quite believe this, but you mean - you dont like David Dunn?

My two main concerns over the pompey game were-

1) why was bentley forever playing out of position, he was playing centre midfield most of the time and kept popping up on MGP's side of the pitch. He seems to have gone off the boil since his england debut,

2) McCarthy doesn't seem to look happy at the moment and seems to be playing in a deeper role then usual, I don't know if its because of the partnership with santa cruz isn't working.

Because there was a bl00dy great big gap between Savage/Dunn and the front two. We need a more attacking midfielder that fills the gap. I think we need a change of formation to get Bentley or Dunn playing behind the front two.

McCarthy is a box player but spent very little time in there or trying to get in there.

At no time was there a midfielder making runs into the box.

We were relying on Santa scoring but Distin and Cambell were comfortable coping with a single threat.

I agree JAL on both points. The last 3 games have seen very little from Savage and Dunn and we lack the personell to change it with the current squad. However prior to this spell the midfield centre had played well against City, Arsenal and Everton. In the case of the players taking the majority of the stick at the moment they haven't contributed at all this season from an attacking point of view.

Pretty poor state of affairs if Hughes does not trust any one of our other 4 central midfielders to come in and do a decent job.

As I said in another thread, question marks remain on Tugay (with his age) and the Axe. Reid will be a couple of months away from making a significant impact, so we do not seem to have quality cover, which is odd, considering we are a team facing potentially many games if we progress in the UEFA.

Daft post.

1. they are superstars and especially so in their own country.

2. According to your final sentence we should surely be dropping ALL 8 who you say came away with no credit.

Can I hear the sound of someone jumping on a bandwagon I wonder? After Sherwood, Wilcox, Carsley, Dailly, Davies, Dickov etc etc it's apparent that the fickle no-nowt supporters of BRFC always HAVE to have a scapegoat out there on the pitch. If no one qualifies then no matter we'll just pick on one and make it stick.

btw anybody ever kept hens?

they might be superstars in there country and on there day over here they can be, but when they are not putting the effort in like they didn't on Sunday, that really pisses me off

By the way you think everybodys post on here are daft, if i was you i would look at yours a bit more

Archived