BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hey Everyone

bblue

Hi all

Couldn't find any separate place for new members so I thought I'd do this here. Newcomer to this place, I live in Romania and hope to fit in quickly here :)

Hi bblue,

Welcome to the site

Are you a Brit living out in Romania or a Romanian who types & punctuates his English much better than most English people? :huh:

Hi bblue,

Welcome to the site

Are you a Brit living out in Romania or a Romanian who types & punctuates his English much better than most English people? :huh:

Hehe, ah, you're making me blush. I'm a Romanian and this is simply the English they teach us here... Bloody teachers told us we have to spell things right and stuff so I had to do it :P

Hehe, ah, you're making me blush. I'm a Romanian and this is simply the English they teach us here... Bloody teachers told us we have to spell things right and stuff so I had to do it :P

Bloody hell !! you write better english than some of the teachers at my kids school!

Welcome aboard bblue ! :rover:

Can we stop generalising about the poor standards of English among our teachers? I don't bother too much on here because I usually want to make my points quickly but I, as a member of the teaching profession, can actually both spell and punctuate in 3 languages. So there!

• 1 year later...
Guest Wen Y Hu

New member here. Hello, everyone. Didn't want to start a new thread and this one was the nearest I could find to a new members thread, so feel free to move it if need be, mods. I thought I'd better introduce myself before I cause anyone a hernia trying to read through one of my posts. Can be a bit long, I'm afraid. But at least I don't repeat myself. Memory's failing, so I can't guarantee that, mind you. But at least I don't repeat myself.

Anyway, a bit of personal history and what have you. I've lived in Japan for most of the last quarter-century and have been away from the UK for much of the time since Roy Hodgson's day, managing a few pre-seasons and the odd game at the start of the season when over for the summer, but mainly I've been keeping up with things via Sky Sports and the Internet - especially the brfcs site. I've just had a shufty and the site is in my Bookmarks list from 2001, so I must have been coming here on and off since early on. I remember when I first started regularly visiting, a certain CoolClaret was one of the main "attractions" :blink: . I don't know when that would have been, though. I was on Lee's mailing list that he set up in the mid '90s, I guess, but work demands meant that I had to give up that little pleasure toward the end of the '90s when I left the UK.

I really like the brfcs site and think it's a great little community - there's such a great variety of both characters and opinions around. I love the references back to the 1960s and '70s, when I first started watching the Rovers, and the insights of the older members. Dare I mention I even enjoy the ICBINF section and I'm talking about the positive aspects here: F1, knee injuries, boxing, where to eat out - you name it. Sure, the board has been through rough periods, I'd say, and this season has been a bit tense at times on the board. But it's the one place I come to for Rovers news and views and I must say that Glenn, SteB and the often maligned mods do a sterling job to keep it running. Much appreciated in these quarters. :wub::D

My Rovers connection? Well, I started going down to Ewood regularly around 1967/68 with my grandad - with a nod and a "Not charging for the little un' are ya - there's nothing to him!" he'd lift me over the turnstile and into a fantastic world. I was a season-ticket holder from 1969, I believe - my combined Christmas and birthday present each year. We sat in the Nuttall Street about halfway toward the Darwen End and I seem to remember the backs of the seats reserved for season-ticket holders were painted white. I also remember it being only rather sparsely populated - mainly elderly men, though that could be the memory of a young lad at work. What I do remember is some of the comments, which were typical of my grandad and his generation: "Call yerself a striker, O'Mara? Couldn't strike a match!" :lol: and, if we managed more than a couple of goals, "Who we playin' today, then? Blind school? Rubbish are this lot!" All said with a poker face, but full of humour and without malice. Well, except for when the likes of O'Mara were playing...

From around '73 I started going on the Riverside with me mates and saw the epic games of the mid '70s from there. Plymouth. 5-2. Incredible day.

Heroes? Plenty of them. My first was Tony Field, who I watched from my seat in the Nuttall Street, transfixed as he'd weave his way around and through the opposition. Fantastic dribbler. Stuffing Watford and Hull by 4 or 5 one season sticks out in my mind. I'm pretty sure Tony Field scored at the end of one of his 50-yard dribbles in one of those games.

My other hero from the early '70s was Roger Jones - widely acclaimed by the older members of this board from what I have read. No gloves, greasy old-fashioned ball, mud everywhere. No problem. Didn't punch the crosses, no flapping, just caught it. Ball heading for the top corner? Catch the damn thing! Safest pair of hands I've ever seen, allied to supreme agility. The best keeper outside the top division when he was with us and, if I remember correctly, he was long chosen as one of the over-age players for the England Under-23s.

There were plenty of others from the '70s, notably John Bailey (remember him coming on as a chubby-looking sub at a midweek night match at Blackpool, playing left wing and extremely rapid - possibly his debut??), Kevin Hird (30-yard torpedoes, anyone?) and one of the finest passers of the ball, David Wagstaffe (40-, 50-yard crossfield passes on a sixpence).

The '80s, however, passed me by as I was out of the country for most of the decade. So, I missed Duncan Mackenzie and Simon Garner - though I was back in the UK by '89 and managed to take in his record-breaking hat-trick against City. The trip back to Sheffield after the match wasn't a happy occasion, though, as news filtered through of the Hillsborough disaster. In '92 finally going up to the newly formed Premier League helped to draw me back from afar and I spent much of the '90s back in the UK and with a season ticket again, travelling over the Pennines for the games. And what a treat it was to see Big Al and co. Sensational football under Kenny and Ray Harford - and, for a while, under Woy for that matter.

As I said at the beginning, I've been away for most of the time since Woy took over, so I'm reduced to following games via satellite and t'Internet. Not much of a substitute for being there. Live. In the flesh. Pouring down with rain. Absolutely love it.

But, I'm not there, so that's why I'm here...

-- weny

Can we stop generalising about the poor standards of English among our teachers? I don't bother too much on here because I usually want to make my points quickly but I, as a member of the teaching profession, can actually both spell and punctuate in 3 languages. So there!

Lol, we love you to Mrs Gumboots.

Hi all

Couldn't find any separate place for new members so I thought I'd do this here. Newcomer to this place, I live in Romania and hope to fit in quickly here :)

Where abouts in Romania are you from? I went to Bucharest a a few years back and had a brilliant time. Very nice people and lovely food!!!!

I'm a Romanian and this is simply the English they teach us here... Bloody teachers told us we have to spell things right and stuff so I had to do it :P

An incredible indictment of the state of our schools in England .

(Sorry Gumboots ..... :unsure: )

I'm reduced to following games via satellite and t'Internet. Not much of a substitute for being there. Live. In the flesh. Pouring down with rain. Absolutely love it.

But, I'm not there, so that's why I'm here...

-- weny

What, Wen Y Hu??

How?

And where?

;)

Welcome to the messageboard. As nobody else has taken the time to explain, you must understand and abide by the following unwritten rule of this site. If anything good happens you must, and I cannot stress the importance of this enough, you MUST find something negative to moan about. A lot. That is all. Carry on.

;)

An incredible indictment of the state of our schools in England .

(Sorry Gumboots ..... :unsure: )

Thing that really annoys me is that everyone assumes it's just here that standards are low. We get mail from French friends who are quite well-educated and we can spot their mistakes. They are just as bad as we are at correct spelling etc. When children ask me whether spelling matters, I always say yes because it's as easy to learn correct spellings as to learn them incorrectly. I'm a bit old-fashioned about these things. As I say, I don't always bother on here because I type quickly and my hands sometimes don't do what I intend them to!

Archived