BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shirt Pulling

ABBEY

It is illegal to pull shirts, but I think most people just see it as being a rather soft penalty. It goes on all of the time and is so rarely given that when it is the punished side can feel hard done by. Personally I think they should clamp down on it and just starting calling it all of the time, players would soon sort themselves out. Sadly I don't think officials are capable of that sort of thing.

i personally didnt think pulling shirts was a red card offence-if thats the case there would be loads of red cards a game..but obviously since nelsen got sent off, if theres any consistancy in football, any one else who gets their shirt pulled should be sent off..

When we were discussing the Spurs penalty we all appeared to believe that it should be a penalty. However no one thought for a moment that it was a sending off offence. The same then applies to Nelsen. Penalty yes, sending off no.

I am becoming frustrated with all the ruined games because of sending off situations. It is unfair to the paying public to make so many matches one sided.

Sendings off used to be reserved for extreme violent play and the modern game has been ruined by messing about with the rules. Referees are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Football is basically a simple game, now over complicated by rule changes every season. I used to be able to explain the offside rule for instance and now I'm blessed if I know it myself and neither do the linesmen.

There has to be a simplification of the rules or this situation will happen again and again and the supporters will become more and more frustrated. I know that I do not enjoy football as much as I used to do.

OK RANT OVER

When we were discussing the Spurs penalty we all appeared to believe that it should be a penalty. However no one thought for a moment that it was a sending off offence. The same then applies to Nelsen. Penalty yes, sending off no.

I am becoming frustrated with all the ruined games because of sending off situations. It is unfair to the paying public to make so many matches one sided.

Sendings off used to be reserved for extreme violent play and the modern game has been ruined by messing about with the rules. Referees are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Football is basically a simple game, now over complicated by rule changes every season. I used to be able to explain the offside rule for instance and now I'm blessed if I know it myself and neither do the linesmen.

There has to be a simplification of the rules or this situation will happen again and again and the supporters will become more and more frustrated. I know that I do not enjoy football as much as I used to do.

OK RANT OVER

The offside rule hasn't changed in the 10+ years since I first became an assistant ref. It's pretty simple and I don't see why everyone complains about it hard to understand.

There's 3 things that are used to determine offsides.

Position of second to last defender

Position of ball

Position of halfway line

Whichever one of these 3 things is closest to the goal is the line of demarcation used to determine whether a player is offside. If a player is farther from the attacking goal than any one of the 3 items in the list above, then the player is offside. If the player is nearer to the attacking goal than all 3 of the items above, then the player is offside.

The offside rule hasn't changed in the 10+ years since I first became an assistant ref. It's pretty simple and I don't see why everyone complains about it hard to understand.

Position of ball

Position of halfway line

Whichever one of these 3 things is closest to the goal is the line of demarcation used to determine whether a player is offside. If a player is farther from the attacking goal than any one of the 3 items in the list above, then the player is offside. If the player is nearer to the attacking goal than all 3 of the items above, then the player is offside.

How long have you been in America? :rolleyes:

Position of ball

Position of halfway line

Maybe I'm being slow. According to your summation, when is a player onside?

If there's only three things to determine offsides does the position of the player not count as a fourth thing, and how about the direction that the ball is played, and whether it's a goal kick, or a throw in.

There's also that rule about big teams getting decisions written in invisible ink...

Finally, if all those things apply, why the hell was Djibril Cisse onside? You know the one I'm talking about...

defo pen but a red was harsh lets see how many more players get sent off for the same offence...come on us rover tell me it wasnt .

You'd average two penalties a game if you're calling that a penalty. We seem to get refereed by the book, to the letter, whereas others do not - such as the Villa hand ball.

Hopefully the club lodge a complaint.

I was commentating on the game for Hospital Radio and me and my co commentator were at a loss as to why a red card was produced, even after the game a couple of journo's in the press room were unsure of why the red was given (Nicko was not one of them).

If you look back to the England Croatia game, our penalty was given for shirt pulling on Defoe yet the Croatian player was not sent off, can't remember if he was yellow carded or not.

But I do think that Dowd is on a refereeing level with Wiley and D'Urso and there has to be better around.

It's the same as with a lot of other offences in football; give a yellow card and a free kick or penalty every single time a shirt is tugged, no matter how little. Nobody will do it anymore and the problem will be stamped out.

Likewise, ban any player from speaking to the ref, other than the captains of each team. Any player that remains in close proximity to the ref after he has told them to move away, gets a yellow card. That will end players circling and pressurizing the ref.

Archived