BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

I'm glad things are so black and white and simple as that, ta I was confused. If you think that's as simple as it is, there is no point continuing that discussion.

I'm glad we can agree.

You seriously think Nelsen is a better player than Ooijer? :blush:

I don't remember saying that.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You seriously think Nelsen is a better player than Ooijer? :blush:

i think he is better suited to the premiership

ooijer should have moved over when he was younger and could offer more. the fact he didn't set a club like blackburn rovers alight with his talents shows he isn't all that.

Added to which he has that very rare quality these days in that actually seems to care for BRFC as a club, and is happy to be playing for them.

I agree.

I think Ryan has been, and continues to be, an excellent club captain.

Allied to that, we are Blackburn Rovers, and shouldn't be looking to ship out our club captain so readily. It says a lot about a club about how it treats its more respected players, and that commitment works both ways. Ryan should see out his contract before returning to New Zealand/Australia to see his career out.

:brfcsmilie:

i think he is better suited to the premiership

ooijer should have moved over when he was younger and could offer more. the fact he didn't set a club like blackburn rovers alight with his talents shows he isn't all that.

The fact he is centre back and was shunted to right back must of missed your observations. And obviously every time Nelsen was out, and Ooijer pushed inside, we looked a far more solid team. Also, Ooijer can pass a ball along the ground, something i still waiting to witness from Nelsen.

Nelsen is that great his club sides consist of 2 us college teams, DC United and us... wow.

I agree.

I think Ryan has been, and continues to be, an excellent club captain.

Allied to that, we are Blackburn Rovers, and shouldn't be looking to ship out our club captain so readily. It says a lot about a club about how it treats its more respected players, and that commitment works both ways. Ryan should see out his contract before returning to New Zealand/Australia to see his career out.

Or flog him now for some cash, save on his wages and he doesn't even need replacing seeing as Givet is a far better centre half, and it also gives Jones more of a chance of playing, a 18 year old lad who came in and looked twice the player Nelsen has been for the past 2 years.

The fact he is centre back and was shunted to right back must of missed your observations. And obviously every time Nelsen was out, and Ooijer pushed inside, we looked a far more solid team. Also, Ooijer can pass a ball along the ground, something i still waiting to witness from Nelsen.

Nelsen is that great his club sides consist of 2 us college teams, DC United and us... wow.

no. i know he played at right back. there was a reason he was played at right back - he wasn't in our top two centre backs. i disagree that we looked better with him at centre back too, he was dirtier and gave silly free-kicks away and couldn't read the game as well as nelsen. i agree that distribution isn't nelsen's strong point but he offers other qualities that we need.

yes, the fact that the best club nelsen has played for is us clearly makes him ###### :rolleyes:

I don't know why people are suggesting we get rid of Nelsen. He's our club captain and an extremely good defender who's just had a fantastic World Cup for New Zealand.

We wouldn't get much for him even if we did decide to sell him and considering our financial restrictions, we wouldn't be able to replace him with a better defender because we simply don't have that kind of money to get anyone younger with as much experience and potentially better. What we do have is a young defender who will learn from Samba and Nelsen as well as featuring in the first team who will probably go on to become a regular. We also have yet another young defender who is also close to knocking on the first team door as well.

Let's just leave it as it is at the moment. We've got 2 great experienced centre halves and 2 potentially great replacements.

I don't know why people are suggesting we get rid of Nelsen. He's our club captain and an extremely good defender who's just had a fantastic World Cup for New Zealand.

Someone already made the point, but our fans are as hypocritical as the next. They complain about a lack of loyalty and then want to cash in on a Rovers veteran.

Someone already made the point, but our fans are as hypocritical as the next. They complain about a lack of loyalty and then want to cash in on a Rovers veteran.

Agreed, can't believe some of this rubbish about 'cashing in' after a good World Cup. Welcome back to Blackburn Ryan, eh?

Agreed, can't believe some of this rubbish about 'cashing in' after a good World Cup. Welcome back to Blackburn Ryan, eh?

Not just you doaksie but there is such a lot of shallow thought on here.

Has anyone ever thought that Ryan Nelsen himself might also want to cash in on his World Cup performances? Not only could BRFC have a good pay day but Nelsen's agent might also be receiving 'unmissable' once in a lifetime offers. Nelsens on the edge of retirement it might be in his own interests to cash in.

Tell you what how would it be if Nelsen landed back to Ewood with a 'increase my pay or I'm off to a club that will' demand?

I've no doubt that Ryan Nelsen is a sound bloke and I'm pleased that he's named in somebody's worlds best X1 but lets be brutally honest he isn't even the best centre half at Blackburn.

Try thinking outside the box for once people.

Keep him for now, but he is starting to struggle to 'own' a starting place, considering he is getting older and is starting to slow down & pick up little niggles....if Jones continues his rapid improvements then I fail to see how he cannot be 1st choice with Samba by Christmas.

Has anyone ever thought that Ryan Nelsen himself might also want to cash in on his World Cup performances?

Not only could BRFC have a good pay day but Nelsen's agent might also be receiving 'unmissable' once in a lifetime offers. Nelsens on the edge of retirement it might be in his own interests to cash in.

Tell you what how would it be if Nelsen landed back to Ewood with a 'increase my pay or I'm off to a club that will' demand?

IF my granny had balls she'd be my granda. <_<

In this hypothetical world we should sell him and IF Messi wanted to join us we should sign him too. In the real world, he has to stay for this season for me.

IF my granny had balls she'd be my granda. <_<

In this hypothetical world we should sell him and IF Messi wanted to join us we should sign him too. In the real world, he has to stay for this season for me.

Yes...very good.

Of course, when discussing hypothetical situations, you tend to only debate those that have the potential to happen.

The scenario thenodrog laid out could easily happen, players do get bumper offers on the back of strong world cup performances.

Your Messi part just drivel. Admittedly you intended it that way, but all that shows is that you missed the point in spectacular fashion. The post you quoted deserved a better answer than that because it made a lot of sense.

The post you quoted deserved a better answer than that because it made a lot of sense.

Thank you Le Chuck. It appears quite a few have forgotten the way Brad suddenly departed for a bumper final pay day when we all thought he'd retire with us.

He's been a loyal servant to the club and should be allowed to leave if he gets an offer from a big club after having had a superb world cup.

Lets not get carried away with the hypothetical stuff duggers...... If that offer came in we'd still require a suitable fee or he'd have to stay.

The post you quoted deserved a better answer than that because it made a lot of sense.

Of course, I had exaggerated to emphasise a point - the Messi inclusion was intended merely for emphasis (as you allude to). Not sure what sort of hypothetical/real argument we seem to be debating, as Tim says, let's see how it pans out in reality. I certainly haven't forgotten how Brad left us, but this only highlights my original point, which seems to have become lost.

What I have meant is:

I don't think we should be actively looking to sell him by any means, and we shall deal with anything above and beyond that if it occurs i.e. bumper offers or the player wanting a move.

p.s. Hope yous both got that awkward scratch taken care of on each other backs!! ;)

Archived