BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

Read The People today and according to Big Sam Samba is our new captain and The Admiral as accepted it!!!

Your grammar could do with a little improvement Seedstral.

I think it's a good move personally. Whilst Ryan Nelsen is probably a level headed guy and a good lifestyle example to the other players, he does not seem to me to possess the personality to be an inspirational driving force on the pitch. Many examples of sloppy play seem to happen and pass by without any 'captain type' admonishment.

Hope I'm not being over critical of a decent bloke but I think that it's possible that his low key leadership abilities might be pointer toward our poor away record. We've dropped points in situations where we shouldn't have. Some players who are motivated at Ewood might just need a bit more inspirational and forceful leadership when away from home and in a more hostile situation.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rubbish. I was present at the birth of my kids and to be quite honest and to use a football cliche it's a game of two halves. First half is the waiting period which can sometimes be long and drawn out and where a man can indeed be a comfort and help take the strain from the nursing staff, but once the 'job' is underway proper I simply felt that I was surplus to requirements and an unecessary consideration for the staff.

Also unless one has lived in a bubble or is of a sensitive disposition it's definitely not the life changing experience that some would claim.

But if you're not there, who is your wife going to swear at? And as for doing the maths, as someone said, if only it was that easy. Unless you get pregnant to order and the baby is delivered on the due date, it's a much more hit and miss affair than that. I don't have a problem with guys leaving big tournaments to be with their wives, if that's what both of them agree on. However, I like to think if it had been my husband playing for his country, I'd have let him stay there,particularly in the days of webcams and videolinks. But then again, I was lucky and had all 4 of mine without any real problems. You'd never forgive yourself if something went wrong and you weren't there for your partner

• 2 weeks later...

Are New Zealand playing any friendlies before the World cup?

Their website doesn't have them down for any.

May 24: Australia v New Zealand, MCG, Melbourne, 9.30pm NZ time

May 29: New Zealand v Serbia, Klagenfurt, Austria

June 4: New Zealand v Slovenia, Maribor, Slovenia

June 9: New Zealand v Chile, Nelspruit, South Africa

Aussie with a 93rd min winner :( 2-1

Ryan played the full game, No Emerton, Grella spent the first half passing to no one, and trying to ruin our players world cup dreams, subbed off at half time.

Aussie with a 93rd min winner :( 2-1

Ryan played the full game, No Emerton, Grella spent the first half passing to no one, and trying to ruin our players world cup dreams, subbed off at half time.

Good to see him taking his club form on to the international stage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great performance from Nelsen. There are few players around these days who display the leadership and passion like him (for club and country).

It can be easy to forget but he has been with Rovers since 2005, the day he leaves the club will be a sad day.

Great performance from Nelsen. There are few players around these days who display the leadership and passion like him (for club and country).

It can be easy to forget but he has been with Rovers since 2005, the day he leaves the club will be a sad day.

We should have a Ryan Nelsen theme day at Ewood next season. :D

Well done Ryan but time to cash in on the Admiral, methinks.

£15m should do it, given the old edict about World Cup performances inflating prices.

NZ can't be expected to get any better than that so Ryan's stock will never be higher.

Sam Allardyce has called him "My captain at Blackburn Rovers" on at least 3 different times during todays coverage on Al Jazeera Sports.

Good man, we need that sort of coverage.

Absolutely delighted for Nelsen. It must still seem unreal to him, it was only a couple of seasons ago we gave him time off to play for New Zealand in the Olympics because he said it would be the only chance he'd have to represent his country in an intentional tournament.

Read The People today and according to Big Sam Samba is our new captain and The Admiral as accepted it!!!

Sam Allardyce has called him "My captain at Blackburn Rovers" on at least 3 different times during todays coverage on Al Jazeera Sports.

Is Sam getting Alzheimer's?

Nelsen though despite twice costing me money has played bloody well, bloody well. Well done Ryan.

Archived