BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryan Nelsen

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has a new manager and he's choosing to not be part of the squad for pre-season to play in the...Olympics. Hardly a major footballing event now is it. How many on here can name the last two winners off the top of their heads? If these were world cup qualifiers or something significant I'd agree, but to play in the Olympics it's nonsense. I hope we don't pay his wages while he's there.

The Olympics is the biggest International event that Nelsen is ever likely to be able to play in for his country. While not ideal it shows goodwill to allow him to go for two games before returning. Nelsen seems like the type of guy who would remember this and be loyal to Rovers. Sure he will miss some training but he will soon get back up to speed. Ince and Williams would not have let him go if they believed his absence would be too detrimental.

Don´t see any reason to take the captaincy away from Nelsen...especially as if he has got over the injuries of last season and we can expect a better campaign from him. Not unless Ince decides he is not going to be a regular starter.

The Olympics is the biggest International event that Nelsen is ever likely to be able to play in for his country. While not ideal it shows goodwill to allow him to go for two games before returning. Nelsen seems like the type of guy who would remember this and be loyal to Rovers. Sure he will miss some training but he will soon get back up to speed. Ince and Williams would not have let him go if they believed his absence would be too detrimental.

Don´t see any reason to take the captaincy away from Nelsen...especially as if he has got over the injuries of last season and we can expect a better campaign from him.

This man is quite sensible

This man is quite sensible

I have my moments both good and bad to be honest. ;)

Nelsen grateful to Blackburn for Olympic release

Nelsen quotes: "I put the new manager in a difficult position in all honesty and I really appreciate that he's allowed me to go.

"With New Zealand we don't get to go to very many major tournaments and the Olympics is obviously a major one and I really wanted to play.

"Thankfully he's met me half-way and let me go for the first two games."

We now have a player who is very grateful to the club. This could work in our favour as remember it is only a year ago Pompey were trying to sign him and if you had asked fans then who our best player was there would have plenty saying Nelsen. Last season was injury-ravaged but if he can get back to fitness this year which should lead to improved form than he is the natural and by far the best best choice as club captain.

I remember in the past (2002?) Brad Friedel was allowed to miss some games at the end of the season for something related to the national team. Look how he has repaid our kindness toward him! Probably best not to mention the Shearer affair in 96 here... :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

If Ince is interested in getting in younger players, as he seems to be, then I hope so. Some of the skill of the games I've seen so far (Italy v Honduras & Ivory Coast v Argentina) is pretty good.

Has the match finished. I had a look at the Olympic website and noted that it was 0-0. Not sure if that was a latest score or a final score. NZ also down to 10 men.

I cant check the BBC live stuff as I'm at work and cant access it.

Has the match finished. I had a look at the Olympic website and noted that it was 0-0. Not sure if that was a latest score or a final score. NZ also down to 10 men.

I cant check the BBC live stuff as I'm at work and cant access it.

They have just started the second half and your right New Zeland are down to 10 men.

"Steven Old recieves a second yellow card for a deliberate handball"

I see Messi has scored for Argentina

Anyone following the Olympic footy?

Anderson took advantage of a mix-up in the NZ defense to score for Brasil in the 4th minute according to the BBC. Where was the Admiral?

On the ground, having slid in on Pato, who skipped away. But to be fair (and i've seen Pato play in real life), and he's really, really, quick.

Archived