BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bacon

Well, the only way to find out if that statement is wrong or not is to complain to Subway corporate. As a business owner, the franchisee, while respecting laws and franchise agreements, can run their business any way they want. The best way to get them to change is not to go in. If they lose their business, they will hopefully be smart enough to bring it back.

But then again, the government can tell you that you are not allowed to permit smoking, so maybe they should tell you that you aren't allowed to ban bacon!

I have no intention of complaining, if I go to a subway and they don't have what I want I leave, but I can gaurantee that if I go to Mc Donalds or Burger King they will have what they advertise because they have no option but to sell the franchise products

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That’s like a McDonalds owned by Hindu’s not selling a Big Mac. Its nothing at all to do with econmics its purely and simply religoius imperialism and the fact that certain ethnic gropus can get away with such non-pc behaviour , whilst the rest of us have to adhere to it by the letter.

I'll take your word for it.

Jesus, it's a bacon sarnie. Subway haven't banned it everywhere on religious grounds. One store in Blackburn doesn't sell them because it probably makes more cash by not doing.

I struggle to get a Racing Post from many newsagents in Blackburn because nobody wants them in this area. When I go down south to Somerset or Wiltshire there are piles of them in newsagents, supermarkets and petrol stations. I've asked why my local paper shop doesn't haver them. They say "nobody buys them and it cost us money".

Fair enough. I've never felt the need to throw a paddy about it.

There's a subway in Leeds that never has honey oat bread. I have been so incensed that I've written to the local MP, the Queen, the Pope and Bob Geldof.

It's the neo-facist commie b*st*rd anti-right wing, pro-thatcherite, loony leftie tree-hugging liberal owner that's to blame. I bet he also supports the EU and wants to be left out of a federal set up, can't stand the colonies and wants to emigrate to Australian as well.

That’s like a McDonalds owned by Hindu’s not selling a Big Mac.

It really is nothing like that.

I have no intention of complaining, if I go to a subway and they don't have what I want I leave, but I can gaurantee that if I go to Mc Donalds or Burger King they will have what they advertise because they have no option but to sell the franchise products

That doesn't even make sense. Google 'Franchising' then try again.

McDonalds and Burger King are not franchises so the comparisons are completely unjustified. The franchisee of the Subway store in question will have put both time and money in to setting that shop up, they are completely within their right to try and maximise profit, and if that involves taking pork off the menu then they're free to do so.

It really is nothing like that.

Explain why it isn't.

McDonalds and Burger King are not franchises

We Have Always Been A Franchising Company

McDonald's has always been a franchising company and has relied on its franchisees, our Owner/Operators, to play a major role in the System's success. McDonald's remains committed to franchising as a predominant way of doing business.

source- http://www.mcdonalds.com/corp/franchise/franchisinghome.html

So they are, my apologies.

Well in that case, it is the same thing. You'll have to ask McDonald's owners why they don't 'go Halal'. The main point about the Subway franchisee being within their rights to take pork off the menu is still the same though, regardless of McDonalds etc.

Because McDonald's aren't a franchise company whereas Subway are. McDonald's is a PLC anyway, I'm not sure which level of the company you were putting the hypothetical Hindus.

See above post, youre way off. Mcdonalds is a franchise, they even have a corporate section on franchising. That’s why some McDonalds vary in menu, especially overseas.

McDonalds, Burger King etc radically change their product offerings from one country to another.

Mostly it is done to suit local tastes.

You will have to drive to Preston for Bacon on your Subway now! I think some people are really missing the point here and some idiots are trying to change around my initial statement. However, some great points too!

I thought they sold the same at every outlet? It totally detracts from the whole standardisation ethos that Subway and Mcdonalds run their business platform around in my opinion. It should taste the same in every outlet in any country you visit, however my chicken and bacon ranch wont taste the same in Blackburn as it would do in say Brisbane because a fundamental part of the title/sandwich is missing!

I understand the franchisee may have the authority to do this but in my opinion it is wrong and is again a clear indication how divided our town is.

Claytons Left Boot - So you know exactly how i felt then! Tool.

So they are, my apologies.

Well in that case, it is the same thing. You'll have to ask McDonald's owners why they don't 'go Halal'. The main point about the Subway franchisee being within their rights to take pork off the menu is still the same though, regardless of McDonalds etc.

They do Halal in some countries, but the burgers taste the same.

The terms of a Mc Donalds franchise are very strict, and if you sign up for one, you sign a contract for 20 years, but they gaurantee you a good living. The current cost can be expensive depending on how you want to finance it, about £250k min is needed

:rover:

Claytons Left Boot - So you know exactly how i felt then! Tool.

:lol: Steady on! Personal abuse could lead to a ban!

I was only making light of the situation Vintage - I do actually agree with what you are saying. I had the misfortune to drive through Blackburn on Sunday and saw the number of green onions dotting the skyline. Plonk someone who emigrated say 30 years ago into most of the areas just beyond the town centre and they would think they had been dropped into Lahore or Karachi. I've nothing against immigrants (you have always to put in a disclaimer!) but the sheer volume in Blackburn is beyond belief.

Of course it would Abbey. Whoever bought the franchise has his money on the line, he can do what he wants with the place. If he is out of line with regards to the overall Subway policy then that is something that they will have to take up with him, but I very muich doubt that this is the case.

Claytons Left Boot - okay, i retract my tool statement after reviewing your reply.

Napoleon:

"Is bacon really that important to you? I don't know how some folk on here manage to go about their every day lives, getting annoyed about such trivial things"

It is the fact i am not allowed to have it! Not that i love Bacon so much.! Can you not comprehend that Removed

That’s like a McDonalds owned by Hindu’s not selling a Big Mac. Its nothing at all to do with econmics its purely and simply religoius imperialism and the fact that certain ethnic gropus can get away with such non-pc behaviour , whilst the rest of us have to adhere to it by the letter.

Which is in fact exactly what they do in India...

Part of running a business is making it suitable for your target audience. If this particular subway owner feels that he'll make more money by not having bacon than by having bacon then that is his choice.

Can't believe all of this started because of a bit of bacon.

Guest Kamy100

All that has happened is that the Franchise holder has decided to offer an halal menu which he/she is entitled to do, in fact according to the Subway UK website there are lots of these type of stores and it is even more common in the US:

http://www.subway.co.uk/halal.asp

If people are unhappy about this then what you should do is let the franchise holder know your viewpoints, who knows he/she might even decide to change the menu.

Archived