BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bacon

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My fault, i did not clarify my argument properly. I meant the taste! I abviously know that each Subway/Mcdonalds is different as i travelled around the world a few years back and visited over 10 countries.

They tasted the same in Bangkok, Brisbane, San Francisco as they did Nadi.

So you've now agreed they don't have standard ingredients across the world. I take it you also agree they don't have standard ingredients in the same country, so the lack of bacon in one shop in Blackburn is hardly a portent of the end of the world.

My fault, i did not clarify my argument properly. I meant the taste! I abviously know that each Subway/Mcdonalds is different as i travelled around the world a few years back and visited over 10 countries.

They tasted the same in Bangkok, Brisbane, San Francisco as they did Nadi.

I do hope you didn't eat your way round the world on Subways.

BRB - didn't know that. I might try the Chorley one in that case. The advertisng outside made me assume it's just another chain full of standardised crap.

BRB - didn't know that. I might try the Chorley one in that case. The advertisng outside made me assume it's just another chain full of standardised crap.
You should give it a try the once, it's a pretty good feed for a sandwich. :brfc: .....I take it you can order bacon in Chorley ;-)

A few years ago Sir Jimmy Savile was asked in an interview about his wealth and how much he was worth. "I've given most of my money to charity," he said. "As long as I've got a bacon sandwich and a Rolls-Royce what more do I need in life?"

This seems to be a nice attitude to take in life - as long as you are fairly comfortable then there's no need for people to be greedy. But as far as the bacon sandwich is concerned, Sir Jimmy would be advised not to go into the 'Subway' chain in Preston New Road or indeed visit a number of other 'Subways' which are springing up across the North and also going halal.

I opted for a Chicken and Bacon Ranch but was informed that bacon was no longe being served at this subway store as it is now a halal subway (Preston New Road).

It's a sad sign of the times my friend - and I fear that things are going to get much worse.

Link: Subway goes halal

Seven new 'Halal Subways' in Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire will, I fear, be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the future.

Is it right that some folk can go into these Subway chains and order a chicken sandwich, possibly being unaware that it is halal meat and that the chicken sandwich has involved cutting the animal's throat with a sharp knife, while praying to Allah, without any pre-stunning of the animal - a method which the RSPCA has condemned.

An RSPCA pamphlet from 2006 said: "Research demonstrates that the slaughter of any animal without stunning can cause unnecessary suffering."

The RSPCA says that under the halal method of killing, animals can remain alive for two minutes after the cut.

The Farm Animal Welfare Council, which advises the government on avoiding cruelty to livestock, says that halal meat causes severe suffering to animals. The organisation 'Compassion in World Farming' agrees, saying: "We believe the law must be changed to require all animals to be stunned before slaughter."

Sir Paul McCartney has condemned halal meat, saying in 2005: "I'm unhappy that the slaughter of animals without pre-stunning has not been banned, as the government has admitted that it is cruel and causes severe distress".

Unlike Paul McCartney and Morrissey, I'm not a vegetarian - I eat meat - but I prefer to eat meat which is slaughtered by stunning the animal first and which doesn't cause unnecessary suffering to the animals.

McCartney's friend Carla Lane, who wrote the sitcom "Bread", has said that the Government's failure to ban the halal method of slaughtering animals is because of political correctness.

Carla says that the "inhumane practice" of halal meat has been allowed to carry on because the Government wants to avoid politically sensitive issues. "Ritual slaughter adds more terror and pain to the act of killing an animal," she said.

I was outraged and am considering complaining.

I'd advise you to tell your friends and family to boycott 'Subway'. Not only do they refuse to sell you a bacon sandwich in the Preston New Road shop, they also indulge in selling meat which the RSPCA and 'The Farm Animal Welfare Council' have both condemned for causing severe suffering to animals.

Call the Subway Head Office on 01223 550820 or e-mail them at info@subway.co.uk to tell them that you don't like what they are doing in Preston New Road. Tell them that you are organising a boycott of the shop. Print some leaflets off and hand them to customers going in to Subway to let people know that the meat in the shop is sold through the halal method, which causes severe suffering to animals.

Please read the link below:

"Cruel Halal and Kosher meat must end," say The Farm Animal Welfare Council

Tell everyone you can that 'Subway' in Preston New Road are a disgrace. Boycott the cruel buggers.

Wot a laugh, best load of ###### I have read in a BRFCS thread for a long time.

I don't eat pork and we will not have it in the house, prefer turkey sausage and turkey salami instead. This is a choice, the subway in Blackburn can also choose, and so can you: if you don't like it then go elsewhere, if the owners do not sell bacon for religious reasons then that is their choice and you can get your helping of pig meat elsewhere!.

The thing is, the whole issue with pork started because the meat did not keep well in hot countries.

Perish the thought, but if I were to kill an animal using the halal method, would I be prosecuted for cruelty by the RSPCA as I am not a muslim?

Is it right that some folk can go into these Subway chains and order a chicken sandwich, possibly being unaware that it is halal meat and that the chicken sandwich has involved cutting the animal's throat with a sharp knife, while praying to Allah, without any pre-stunning of the animal - a method which the RSPCA has condemned.

An RSPCA pamphlet from 2006 said: "Research demonstrates that the slaughter of any animal without stunning can cause unnecessary suffering."

The RSPCA says that under the halal method of killing, animals can remain alive for two minutes after the cut.

The Farm Animal Welfare Council, which advises the government on avoiding cruelty to livestock, says that halal meat causes severe suffering to animals. The organisation 'Compassion in World Farming' agrees, saying: "We believe the law must be changed to require all animals to be stunned before slaughter."

Sir Paul McCartney has condemned halal meat, saying in 2005: "I'm unhappy that the slaughter of animals without pre-stunning has not been banned, as the government has admitted that it is cruel and causes severe distress".

Unlike Paul McCartney and Morrissey, I'm not a vegetarian - I eat meat - but I prefer to eat meat which is slaughtered by stunning the animal first and which doesn't cause unnecessary suffering to the animals.

McCartney's friend Carla Lane, who wrote the sitcom "Bread", has said that the Government's failure to ban the halal method of slaughtering animals is because of political correctness.

Carla says that the "inhumane practice" of halal meat has been allowed to carry on because the Government wants to avoid politically sensitive issues. "Ritual slaughter adds more terror and pain to the act of killing an animal," she said.

I'd advise you to tell your friends and family to boycott 'Subway'. Not only do they refuse to sell you a bacon sandwich in the Preston New Road shop, they also indulge in selling meat which the RSPCA and 'The Farm Animal Welfare Council' have both condemned for causing severe suffering to animals.

Call the Subway Head Office on 01223 550820 or e-mail them at info@subway.co.uk to tell them that you don't like what they are doing in Preston New Road. Tell them that you are organising a boycott of the shop. Print some leaflets off and hand them to customers going in to Subway to let people know that the meat in the shop is sold through the halal method, which causes severe suffering to animals.

Tell everyone you can that 'Subway' in Preston New Road are a disgrace. Boycott the cruel buggers.

I'm sorry, but this is the most hypocritical thing I've read in a long time. As someone who stopped eating meat a couple of years ago because of animal welfare issues, I find this post incredibly antagonising. In fact, the sheer fact that you're hiding behind animal welfare issues to continue with your constant agenda angers me.

I'm not going to go in to great detail (I was tempted to counter your final link many far more revealing links, but decided against it for reasons in my final paragraph), but if you consistently buy meat from any takeaway and have the audacity to pretend you give a toss about those animals then you are a terrible hypocrite. Whether it takes 2 seconds or 2 minutes for the animals to die is irrelevant when compared to the weeks/months it will have spent suffering in order to provide you with cheap meat.

I've made a point of never being a preachy non-meat eater, because I can't stand people like that, so please don't misconstrue this as me trying to say 'don't buy takeaway meat', because I'm not, that's entirely a free choice to everyone. My only point is that if you do then you completely relinquish any right you may have to pass judgement on the treatment of animals bread for meat, and I'm very disappointed that you've chosen to hide behind a subject which I take an active interest in to further your anti-Muslim post count.

I don't eat pork and we will not have it in the house, prefer turkey sausage and turkey salami instead. This is a choice, the subway in Blackburn can also choose, and so can you: if you don't like it then go elsewhere, if the owners do not sell bacon for religious reasons then that is their choice and you can get your helping of pig meat elsewhere!.

It is there right to sell what they want, and it is other people's right to complain to their "boss" (the company) and to not go in. It is also their free speech right to organize a boycott, if they have nothing better to do with their time.

Not that I believe his agenda is truly for animal rights, but it was one of the more sensible ideas of what people should do if they are outraged.

A few years ago Sir Jimmy Savile was asked in an interview about his wealth and how much he was worth. "I've given most of my money to charity," he said. "As long as I've got a bacon sandwich and a Rolls-Royce what more do I need in life?"

This seems to be a nice attitude to take in life - as long as you are fairly comfortable then there's no need for people to be greedy. But as far as the bacon sandwich is concerned, Sir Jimmy would be advised not to go into the 'Subway' chain in Preston New Road or indeed visit a number of other 'Subways' which are springing up across the North and also going halal.

It's a sad sign of the times my friend - and I fear that things are going to get much worse.

Link: Subway goes halal

Seven new 'Halal Subways' in Greater Manchester and West Yorkshire will, I fear, be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the future.

Take it that you've never had an indian curry then??

Your just being ridiculous!

Personally, I shoot most of my own meat, so I'm entirely comfortable with the treatment of the animal. I am after all a very good shot.

My local farmer supplies me with what I can't shoot, and his pigs and cows all seem like very happy decent sorts, so I'm sure they were all very happy when they were sacrificed for my Sunday roast. And even they weren't, well, they're pigs and cows so I'm not going to get too upset about it either way. They are dumb animals after all. It's not like they would otherwise be roaming free across the Cheshire plain, frolicking in the pampas is it.

On the same logical stance are the Muslim community not capable of getting their Halal fix from somewhere else?

This country was built on Bacon! Where would we be if builders and contractors couldnot have their bacon sandwiches! (sarcasm cited)

That’s like a McDonalds owned by Hindu’s not selling a Big Mac. Its nothing at all to do with econmics its purely and simply religoius imperialism and the fact that certain ethnic gropus can get away with such non-pc behaviour , whilst the rest of us have to adhere to it by the letter.

Best post on here. That is exactly how I feel about this

On the same logical stance are the Muslim community not capable of getting their Halal fix from somewhere else?

This country was built on Bacon! Where would we be if builders and contractors couldnot have their bacon sandwiches! (sarcasm cited)

Maybe then everything would be built on time and to cost...maybe these folks are onto something...

Here's the question though, which obviously as a non-local I cannot answer, does this particular Subway appear to be doing well?

Archived