BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover Thread

Persevering with Ince too long; running up a big overdraft and spending all the extra Sky money on overly-generous contracts for pedestrian players were funny ways of meeting that aim; that's why I suggest all three of those issues were taken out of his hands

While I wanted to see him out, it seems funny to suggest that we perservered with Ince to long :lol:

Your suggestion that the ticket prices have been dropped in order to fill the ground and make the club look like a more viable purchase is interesting.

I personally never looked at it as any more than an attempt to get more bums on seats, though this suggestion does add an interesting perspective.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Persevering with Ince too long; running up a big overdraft and spending all the extra Sky money on overly-generous contracts for pedestrian players were funny ways of meeting that aim; that's why I suggest all three of those issues were taken out of his hands

He was stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea where it came to Ince and acted pretty quickly following the Wigan defeat. I think it is frankly ridiculous to suggest he is having his strings pulled like a puppet mind you. I've met the man a couple of times and he doesn't strike me as a 'yes' man. He could have pulled the plug on Ince earlier but he did so at the right time and got the right man in very quickly to replace him. That's good management. I'm not getting into a debate on John Williams btw. I've met him, I've talked to him and I genuinelly like the man and respect what he's done for the club.

As for the rest, if those issues were taken out of his hands as you say then I wouild suggest he would no longer be in post and would have been replaced long ago. I think your criticism of John Williams is somewhat skewed and unfair. That's my opinion.

He was stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea where it came to Ince and acted pretty quickly following the Wigan defeat. I think it is frankly ridiculous to suggest he is having his strings pulled like a puppet mind you. I've met the man a couple of times and he doesn't strike me as a 'yes' man. He could have pulled the plug on Ince earlier but he did so at the right time and got the right man in very quickly to replace him. That's good management. I'm not getting into a debate on John Williams btw. I've met him, I've talked to him and I genuinelly like the man and respect what he's done for the club.

As for the rest, if those issues were taken out of his hands as you say then I wouild suggest he would no longer be in post and would have been replaced long ago. I think your criticism of John Williams is somewhat skewed and unfair. That's my opinion.

I wasn't criticising him; I was pointing out how the Trustees are perhaps following a 'sell at 40 million' agenda and are thus making some radical readjustments to things which any normal CEO, let alone a Chairman, would expect to have operational control of. It's the Trustees who apparently aren't happy with his past decisions that resulted in us carrying an overdraft and the size of our wage bill.

I wasn't criticising him; I was pointing out how the Trustees are perhaps following a 'sell at 40 million' agenda and are thus making some radical readjustments to things which any normal CEO, let alone a Chairman, would expect to have operational control of. It's the Trustees who apparently aren't happy with his past decisions that resulted in us carrying an overdraft and the size of our wage bill.

Genuinue question, is there rumours that the trustees aren't happy with what JW has done? I haven't seen anything before like that on here is all...

Genuinue question, is there rumours that the trustees aren't happy with what JW has done? I haven't seen anything before like that on here is all...

Personally, I believe quite the reverse is true. Far from being unhappy with JW, I believe that they are allowing him to run the club without any inteference - including putting any further money in. In those circumstances it would explain why JW is anxious to balance the books and ensure that debt doesn't mount. JW is now having to operate in the same way that Bill Fox and Bill Bancroft did before him.

Broadly speaking debt, and the way in which the banks and rich elite profit from common individual debt is criminal. The banking system only really serves the people running it, and this imoral and disproportionate distribution of wealth is, sadly, like the difference in wages the players get and the wages most fans get. Debt is a bad thing.... nobody should be in debt, it's a question of great greed that some have all and most have very little. It's a shame football exists as it does at the moment - beautiful game, suffering from the economic system it is a part of!!! Bit of a rant, sorry, not directed at you Boz, just some things that have been playing on my mind recently. :brfc: 4 EVA!

Nobody should be in debt? Gee whiz, I don't know how that would fix things there elwaxo. Don't see how anybody could ever buy a house, either as an investment or to live in. Can't see how that would redistribute the wealth more fairly. From a football standpoint no team could ever build a stadium without debt, just as one example.

As someone who works in finance I find your viewpoint a little shortsighted. As the poster above mentioned, debt is a good thing when sensibly managed. It assists with funding growth when things are going well and managing cashflows when things are tight.

That applies both in life and in football.

So do you know for a fact that the 10m surplus from sales went to "the Bank" and not Jersey?

YES

Or that even if it did go to "the Bank" that that was absolutely necessary and wasn't simply an attempt to reduce the debt level to facilitate a sale?

YES IT WAS NECESSARY

NO ITS NOT TARTING UP

Nobody should be in debt? Gee whiz, I don't know how that would fix things there elwaxo. Don't see how anybody could ever buy a house, either as an investment or to live in. Can't see how that would redistribute the wealth more fairly. From a football standpoint no team could ever build a stadium without debt, just as one example.

As someone who works in finance I find your viewpoint a little shortsighted. As the poster above mentioned, debt is a good thing when sensibly managed. It assists with funding growth when things are going well and managing cashflows when things are tight.

That applies both in life and in football.

Of course you're gonna say my viewpoint is short sighted if you're in the business of capital economics, it is in your interests to defend the institutions that keep you. We would still have all the means and resourses to house everyone without a system of debt, just that the fat bankers couldn't leach off us; wood, bricks and mortar would still exist without banks and money lenders. Anyways I don't want to get into an ideological debate on here, but as my last word on the matter (please feel free to respond, I will read it)... the exponential 'growth' of the economy/market is, and has, caused untold problems for most of the 'developing' world (and western working classes) aspiring to adopt systems and ways of life which ultimately prioritise the individual's financial and material gain, and say hell to the next man. The system is, through the comfort allowed us by technology, a legitamised form of control. Life is more than just cash flow...... and what is good about football is the people, the community and the artistry, not the commercial structure, debts and all.

Of course you're gonna say my viewpoint is short sighted if you're in the business of capital economics, it is in your interests to defend the institutions that keep you. We would still have all the means and resourses to house everyone without a system of debt, just that the fat bankers couldn't leach off us; wood, bricks and mortar would still exist without banks and money lenders. Anyways I don't want to get into an ideological debate on here, but as my last word on the matter (please feel free to respond, I will read it)... the exponential 'growth' of the economy/market is, and has, caused untold problems for most of the 'developing' world (and western working classes) aspiring to adopt systems and ways of life which ultimately prioritise the individual's financial and material gain, and say hell to the next man. The system is, through the comfort allowed us by technology, a legitamised form of control. Life is more than just cash flow...... and what is good about football is the people, the community and the artistry, not the commercial structure, debts and all.

I enjoy the same things about football as you do, however I see the commercial side of things as a necessary evil rather than just pure evil. I appreciate your romantic notion of the world, and I would love if it were plausible, but it isn't. The problem isn't the institutions, it's the individuals who are corrupted by them. But that's a different story altogether and we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I enjoy the same things about football as you do, however I see the commercial side of things as a necessary evil rather than just pure evil. I appreciate your romantic notion of the world, and I would love if it were plausible, but it isn't. The problem isn't the institutions, it's the individuals who are corrupted by them. But that's a different story altogether and we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Indeed... but it's all good, a bit of debate every now an then is important :):rover:

hi all,

just a couple of questions how about we do what that other club did advertise it on ebay?. Secondly the club has been up for sale for years now we have several buyers lookat it. Obviously the buyers are being put off, even though there are clubs in lower divisions being sold. Obviously it is a case of price so it begs the question what price are the trustees asking for the club? because surely the trustees can see if god forbid we slipped into the championship we would probably never come back and the club would be worth a lot less. also on a side note soz it's a bit off topic hope sam gets the selgado transfer sorted.

hi all,

just a couple of questions how about we do what that other club did advertise it on ebay?. Secondly the club has been up for sale for years now we have several buyers lookat it. Obviously the buyers are being put off, even though there are clubs in lower divisions being sold. Obviously it is a case of price so it begs the question what price are the trustees asking for the club? because surely the trustees can see if god forbid we slipped into the championship we would probably never come back and the club would be worth a lot less. also on a side note soz it's a bit off topic hope sam gets the selgado transfer sorted.

It isn't price that is putting buyers off. It is the terms that Jack's Will effectively place on anyone who might buy.

Everyone who has come forward thus far have been leveraged borrowers or asset strippers and we can all be extremely happy that the Trust did not sell to them.

On the big club take over if he was trying to take over Rovers I would be a shade worried.

The company has lost money for the last four years so how much investment they are going to make and where from.

Plus the name doesn’t inspire me as it sounds like the circus is coming to town. Maybe someone who knows more about business could say different.

...or asset strippers and we can all be extremely happy that the Trust did not sell to them.

Those would be people who would sell our best players and not reinvest the money on the playing side? Thank goodness we don't have any of those in charge or we wouldn't have been able to reinvest all that money we got for RSC!

Has anybody from Rotschilds, who is handling the sale of the club made any sort of statement? Would be nice to hear where things stand, in terms of finding a suitable buyer.

Well when they do, we will ask your bank manager to make a statement about your account just to balance things out...

Being more serious, this is one of those things that will be handled with the utmost professionalism and I would expect that the amount of noise made about a prospective buyer will be inversely proportional to their chances of closing a deal.

Well when they do, we will ask your bank manager to make a statement about your account just to balance things out...

Being more serious, this is one of those things that will be handled with the utmost professionalism and I would expect that the amount of noise made about a prospective buyer will be inversely proportional to their chances of closing a deal.

I'm sorry Phillip but this kind of response sadly typifies this mb. Iceman, as Rovers fan wants to know what is going on, as we all do. We are not all privy to what is going on behind the scenes or work in the financial sector.

Perhaps if you and Jan bore this in mind and cut out the disdainful and dismissive sarcasm the board might be a better place to visit.

Those would be people who would sell our best players and not reinvest the money on the playing side? Thank goodness we don't have any of those in charge or we wouldn't have been able to reinvest all that money we got for RSC!

:lol:

Archived