BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Thread

Guest benmaxwell
Pogrebnyak would be a decent replacement for Santa Cruz and i think he's a better player than Zigic and Janko. I believe his contract is running out soon as well.

Pogrebnyak spent the whole of January slagging us off stating we are 'too small a club to join', and if he was going to leave Zenit it would be to a bigger team.

He seems like he has a bigger head then Cruz, and that is saying something!

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pogrebnyak spent the whole of January slagging us off stating we are 'too small a club to join', and if he was going to leave Zenit it would be to a bigger team.

He seems like he has a bigger head then Cruz, and that is saying something!

I know he talked down a deal in January, but I don't recall him 'slagging us off'. I didn't say it would be easy or that there is a 100% chance we would get him but if this interest from clubs like Arsenal or United doesn't materialise he's going to have to make a hard choice on where he goes. He's made it well known that he wants to come to England and with his contract running out, (in November?) fee wise he should be cheaper than Zigic or Janko plus he's better than both of them.

I don't see the harm in making enquiries to see if his viewpoint has changed or whether he is open to a move. If he's not interested then fair enough.

I think he didn't want to join a club in a relegation fight. He might find joining us pre-season to be a different proposition.

Russian clubs pay best players more than we could offer him. And Russians feel home sick easily. And of course they can´t speak a single word English. Great player but just can´t see him leaving home because of us.

Russian clubs pay best players more than we could offer him. And Russians feel home sick easily. And of course they can´t speak a single word English. Great player but just can´t see him leaving home because of us.

They also have a different alphabet. Must be difficult for a Russian who has never learned basic English before.

I suppose you mean me Bazza? :)

You have to admit the radio interviews in Paraguay, where rovers couldn't stop them, did the clubs image no good whatsoever. They were totally unnecessary as well because he would have got the move without them.

Top quality player - no doubts about that at all. Why do players need to put down their old clubs though?

Probably because they are paid far too much money and become (or think they become) bigger than the club they play for. Also because they mouth off before putting their brain into gear. :rock:

A lot of footballers are quite thick, you know. They're not all Stuart Ripleys and Graeme Le Saux's :)

Absolutely gutted that Santa is going.

I know we have lost brilliant players in the past but it doesn't make it any easier when we lose another one.

Crouch isn't good enough to be RSC's boot boy. All you "sell RSC and we'll buy lots of good players" fools must be over the moon about Kevin Davies.

I know we have lost brilliant players in the past but it doesn't make it any easier when we lose another one.

Crouch isn't good enough to be RSC's boot boy. All you "sell RSC and we'll buy lots of good players" fools must be over the moon about Kevin Davies.

Let me caveat by saying that I don't want him back but Kevin Davies IS a good player. He certainly isn't great player. I'm sure Allardyce thinks he could do a job for us but:

1) We already have our own version in Jason Roberts so not just mould him into the system

2) Kevin Davies has a reputation as a bit of a battering ram. Hard but fair. Put him in a Rovers shirt though and he'd be booked every game and red carded every 3.

Doesn't stop him being a good player.

I know what you mean about Santa Cruz but would we see "07/08 Roque" or "08/09 Roque", if he were to stay? I expect he will have a great first season at City but it hardly matters since we are no longer competing with City for our league position.

So you'd rather have a man in his late twenties who's had only one season his ENTIRE career where he's scored more than 5 league goals, versus that much money to strengthen the team when we have so little money to spend otherwise?

He is a proven goal scorer in the Premier League and not a risky expensive mistake that we could quite easily make (history in account) with the money from him

Sure on his very best he's been great, but history suggests he's not too likely to produce that form in a hurry.

I beg to differ, with a manager like Sam behind him I am sure the motivation would be there for sure to give it his all, defo wouldn't have happened if Ince was still in charge.

If Sam makes the right signings it can usher in a new era at Rovers.

Umm

Like replacing Santa Cruz with Kevin Davies?

If Mr Nixon's Davies rumour is true then I think a lot will be hoping there are and that Mr Santa Cruz can't find anyone to buy him.

davies for santa cruz..............jesus wept, all this talk of sam will get the best from davies? has'nt he just had his best season under gary megson.

would'nt be sorry right now for a minor niggle with santas knee.

Guest Kamy100

Very sad to see RSC going, we have lost a world class player who will be impossible to replace. Yes I know we managed without him for the majority of last season but it still does not change the fact that he is a class player, he showed against United at Old Trafford how good he is, he on his own gave Vidic and Ferdinand so many problems that they struggle to cope.

Bellamy and Cruz could work I think at City.

Ah, so you think he'll be going now?

Cruz is going to still be here come August guys. Get used to it.

You're mental. City are the only team that would pay a massive fee. And Bellamy was in rich form when they got him. And Spurs wanted him which massively forced up the price.

Roque is injured and out of form. You would have to be a nutter or utterly desperate to pay any more than 7m.

Get used to it. Cruz will stay. We will have to raise funds without him going.

Agreed! I can't believe people on here think that anyone will pay 7m+ for Roque given the recent performances and fitness. He will be at rovers next season.

I still don't see how amyone will sanction the 15m we need for Cruz due to his recent injury record and loss of form - not even Citeh. No one has ever paid that sort of money when the player involved has only managged 50% of games and scored 4 goals..... pretty terrible. A non starter.

Roque will be a Rovers player next season

:rolleyes:

Good job nobody paid any attention. Roque's leaving for £18 million. Get used to it. ;)

Very sad to see RSC going, we have lost a world class player who will be impossible to replace. Yes I know we managed without him for the majority of last season but it still does not change the fact that he is a class player, he showed against United at Old Trafford how good he is, he single on his own gave Vidic and Ferdinand so many problems that they struggle to cope.

Wouldn't agree with world class but certainly very good.

You just know he'll score against us first game of the season.

There's no doubting Roque was a class act for us on the pitch, and he will be missed. However, you can't help but feel we got lucky with his first season here. His track record at Bayern for sitting on the treatment table, suggests more of the same next season had he managed to stay.

Not my fault our manager is a pillock.

if there is about £20m to spend, (which there should be easily), then we should be able to buy 3/4 really good YOUNG players to improve our squad, and lower the average age! if allardyce buys kevin davies i wont be the only one im sure to booo from the stands! and this time i wont be told im wrong like i was with andrews! :angry::unsure:

Guest benmaxwell
I wish he was staying now :(

That makes two of us.

If Davies is the quality (+price) of players Sam is looking at bringing in, then i doubt he will bring in what we really need to replace Roque.

In that case. I have gone from looking forward to seeing what Sam will bring to Rovers for the new season. To hoping Roque stays.

Sad turn of events. When that Sky story broke about Roque, i was genuinely excited about what we could do this summer, and then in 2 fell minutes last night, all that optimism was replaced by dread! :(

Archived