BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roque Santa Cruz Thread

Well done to Roque on achieving his goal he set when he joined, of 20 goals for his first season.

We all know that when a foreign player comes into the premier league, in many cases it takes the player some time to find his feet and get used to the power and pace that is the main feature of the league. But like Benni, Roque has done terrifically well in his first season.

The guy just oozes class, and in my opinion is built for the premier league and the style of play involved. He is tall, strong, great in the air, strong with both feet, doesn’t have electric pace but is far from slow and what really stands out for me the most is his work rate and top draw movement.

What an absolute bargain at £3.5 million, I hope he stays for many years to come at Rovers, he really is a joy to watch. :brfcsmilie:

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well done to Roque on achieving his goal he set when he joined, of 20 goals for his first season.

We all know that when a foreign player comes into the premier league, in many cases it takes the player some time to find his feet and get used to the power and pace that is the main feature of the league. But like Benni, Roque has done terrifically well in his first season.

The guy just oozes class, and in my opinion is built for the premier league and the style of play involved. He is tall, strong, great in the air, strong with both feet, doesn’t have electric pace but is far from slow and what really stands out for me the most is his work rate and top draw movement.

What an absolute bargain at £3.5 million, I hope he stays for many years to come at Rovers, he really is a joy to watch. :brfcsmilie:

I second that RVR! Spot on!

Top notch player!

Dan

I wonder what Roque is worth in todays market?

Ronaldo 28 goals, 6 assists = 100 million (Age 23)

Torres 22 goals, 3 assists = 30 million? (Age 24)

Adebayor 21 goals, 3 assists = 40 million (I'm sure he's rated himself this highly) (Age 24)

Santa Cruz 16 goals, 6 assists = ???????? (Age 26)

Berbatov 15 goals, 11 assists = 40 million (Age 27)

Keane 14 goals, 6 assists = ??????? (Age 27)

Benjani 14 goals, 3 assists = 3.87m (Age 29)

Tevez 13 goals, 7 assists = 30 million (Age 24)

Yakubu 13 goals, 2 assists = 15 million (Age 25)

All the above goals and assists are just from the Premier League games - and values are the sort of figures banded about by the media (or most recent fee in Benjani's case).

I'd have to say Roque must be worth 20 million - at least based on those valued above.

I wonder what Roque is worth in todays market?

Ronaldo 28 goals, 6 assists = 100 million (Age 23)

Torres 22 goals, 3 assists = 30 million? (Age 24)

Adebayor 21 goals, 3 assists = 40 million (I'm sure he's rated himself this highly) (Age 24)

Santa Cruz 16 goals, 6 assists = ???????? (Age 26)

Berbatov 15 goals, 11 assists = 40 million (Age 27)

Keane 14 goals, 6 assists = ??????? (Age 27)

Benjani 14 goals, 3 assists = 3.87m (Age 29)

Tevez 13 goals, 7 assists = 30 million (Age 24)

Yakubu 13 goals, 2 assists = 15 million (Age 25)

All the above goals and assists are just from the Premier League games - and values are the sort of figures banded about by the media (or most recent fee in Benjani's case).

I'd have to say Roque must be worth 20 million - at least based on those valued above.

None of the above prices are really relevant, he is only worth what another club is willing to pay for him.

If he announces in the summer that he wants to leave - his value will fall.

If a takeover goes through and we are suddenly awash with cash - his value will rise.

If a takeover goes through and we are in the hands of asset strippers - his value will fall.

None of the above prices are really relevant, he is only worth what another club is willing to pay for him.

But surely the point is that when players like King are costing 5m - then real quality like Santa Cruz costs that little bit more.

If he announces in the summer that he wants to leave - his value will fall.

If a takeover goes through and we are suddenly awash with cash - his value will rise.

If a takeover goes through and we are in the hands of asset strippers - his value will fall.

Too true. Perhaps most relevently his value can tumble for 15m to a third of that in 6 months if he has a dry spell like McCarthy or Pedersen. These things are not set in stone.

In his favour though is he is young and has a lot to his game. He is strong, good in the air, has reasonable pace and good technique. So hopefully it will be harder for teams to pin him down than McCarthy or MGP next year.

For me he's as good as Berbatov and he's being touted around for megabucks. I'd say he has a better work rate than Berbatov though.

Just a shame him and Benni cant seem to play together, would have been nice to see the pair of them bag 20 odd goals this season.

Can't really argue about Torres being considered the transfer of the season, he has been immense for Liverpool.

But if we are talking pound for pound Roque has to be the signing of the season 20 goals for £3.5 million, compared with 29 goals and £20 million for Torres.

The writer did say RSC was the bargain of the season.

Also find it interesting that over 38 million was spent by Rafa on 2 players on that list, yet he complains about a lack of finances to compete. :unsure:

Top league scorer at away ground with 12 goals. Adebayor has 11 and Ronaldo 9.

He is also only behind those + torres in the overall top scorer.

Reports today that United like him and fancy him for £10m. Dont make me laugh! He is worth twice that at least!

Roque has been sensational for us this season- a model professional in every sense.

He's a year younger than Berbatov and has a better all round game. Spurs are reported to have said that if anyone matches their £30m reserve price for Berb, he will be off and they think he is going.

Berbatov.

Everything he does thats class gets highlighted. I've seen him do a piece of control and it's world class. Robbie keane does something better moments later and it hardly gets mentioned.

He could urinate in the goalmouth and the commentators would be wetting themselves.

Sure he's a good player but he's not half overhyped.

Why is that I wonder?

Tottenham - don't believe the hype.

What the hell?! Thats ridiculous Philip - even for you!

Hello, it's my one man fan club again.

Spoken to any Spurs supporters about Berbatov this season? They are not happy about him and are getting pretty indifferent about him staying or leaving.

RSC has contributed far more all round the pitch and worked massively harder than Berbatov has. Berb has scored about the same number as Benni has this season and whilst Benni has been smacking them in from the spot, 4 of Berb's came in the 6-4 against Reading.

Hello, it's my one man fan club again.

Spoken to any Spurs supporters about Berbatov this season? They are not happy about him and are getting pretty indifferent about him staying or leaving.

RSC has contributed far more all round the pitch and worked massively harder than Berbatov has. Berb has scored about the same number as Benni has this season and whilst Benni has been smacking them in from the spot, 4 of Berb's came in the 6-4 against Reading.

Thats typical of your usual rationale. You somehow find a way to criticise a player for scoring 4 goals in one game - if a Rovers player did that you'd be mentioning it in every thread for the next year!

For the record I have a very good friend who is a Spurs ST holder - I'm well aware of their feelings towards him. His opinion is that Spurs fans are preparing themselves for his exit, and his refusal to dismiss the speculation has led to him being criticised for things that he previously wouldn't have been.

Berbatov is a tremendous player - he's a better finisher than Roque, has a better touch and better positioning. Infact the only place Roque is better in my opinion is in the air.

Don't get me wrong - Roque is superb and should be valued higher - and the comparisons to Berbatov and his value are perfectly valid. However, to call Roque a better player shows quite astounding Rovers bias. Even for you.

Archived