BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it's late, we'll probably end up with fat sam but though I'd share my 2 penneth

Firstly, the Premiership is becoming more of a 'European' style league and more teams are moving away from the traditional English approach in favour of passing the ball around, utilising technically good and often pacy players and playing on the counter. I feel that managers' such as Allardyce, Boothroyd etc aren't tactically aware enough to cope with this. If route one fails, your knackered. I also believe that Allardyce's 'star' has waned somewhat since the Newcastle debacle. Is he respected enough in the worldwide game (at present) to attract players - the way that Hughes did ( ala Santa Cruz)? We don't want a band of 30 somethings arriving, we've just spent 3 years getting rid!!

Is Big Sam's brand of football going to be an attractive proposition to the majority of fans (having just managed to increase attendances)? Probably not. Is it going to attract new ivestment? - highly unlikely.

Now in fairness, I have been distinctly underwhelmed with the quality of performance at Ewood this season, so some may argue there might not be much difference. Fine, if your happy to finish mid to lower table, playing mind numbing stuff.

Rovers for me, need a manager that ticks the following boxes:

Have a reputation for playing attractive football

Be able to attract players because of WHO they are.

Good European scouting network (the bulk of players within our price range operate in leagues such as France, Poland, Bulgaria, Russia, Netherlands etc).

Tactically aware, or at least have a plan b & c. Both of these rule out McClaren!

If a former player then they should have experience of winning major honours

Have enough about them to deal with pri madonnas.

Although you can probably shoot holes in both the following candidates I feel that in terms of a 'British manager' the only one would be Paul Ince. Gained experience in the lower league at both the top and bottom. Favours an attacking style. Won major honours, European experiance at Italy, respected within Europe, confident enough to lay down the law, used to opertaing on low budgets.

I personally believe that the best man for the job would be Slaven Bilic. Good reputation as a European manager. Excellent knowledge of the Eastern European football talent. Tactically astute and not frightened to ruffle a feather or two. If ever there was a cult manager in waiting - this is the guy. You can just see him up and down the touchline in front of the J Walker stand - fag in mouth - fantastic!

Other decent shouts would be Louis Van Gaal, if Zenit would consider letting him go and Michael Laudrup.

Hey even Mancini, after all...wasn't he going to come with Sven as his player/assistant all those years ago!!!! Maybe he owes us :rolleyes:

...or is Scholari saving himself for the Blackburn job...(sleep deprivation has now kicked in!)

First Post and what a time to dive in the deep end.

Hughesy has done a wonderful job for the club, created some of the most desired players in the league and that can only be a good thing as the search for his successor begins. It makes the job more attractive and should ensure a better calibre of candidate, which in turn may give confidence to some of the potential want away stars.

"It aint over til the Fat Laddie signs" and I have a hunch that the position may provide some interesting names on the short list, some that have not even been discussed yet.

Now the good news!

Squads in good nick (we nearly have two capable of staying up), they are all tied in with good contracts so if they go we'll get a proper payday.

By the time JW has cleaned City out we should have about 20m to spend if previous reports are near the mark. This is nearly as much as the 30m City have reportedly allocated to Hughes (yeah but will he get to spend it himself - doubt it. JW will have bitten into that somewhat by now too and no backroom staff have gone yet. You took the wrong club on here Franky)

Bowen is an astute coach and I might consider appointing him temporary manager with a view to becoming assistant manager under a manager like Billic or Ince, or manager if all went well. My worry would be if he could attract players.

I'm not sure Hughes would be the same manager without Bowen considering the freefall Birmingham went into after he left.

Some real ambition needs to be shown here now and I think we could well come up smelling of Roses either way here. Purse strings and tightness are probably the critical thing now.

Get this one right and we'll still be laughing at City long after Hughes has left them (X-mas odds anyone?) and Franks appointed his Wifes uncles sister as manager and turned the council tenancy into a big Kareoke Bar - or they sell it on the the Burmese Junta!

Glyn Hodges is the Reserve Team Coach brought in by Mark Hughes from the Wales set-up. Is is not Mark Bowen whom you are referring to? As far as I can make out Mark Bowen is part of Hughes' package to City.

Hodges is an astute coach and I might consider appointing him temporary manager with a view to becoming assistant manager under a manager like Billic or Ince, or manager if all went well. My worry would be if he could attract players.

That's good to know, but are you going to let Steve Patrick keep his job?

I hope this santa cruz talk is only talk , but if he goes he goes.We will have plenty to spend ,what with the 10 mil transfer budget,15mil bents and 15 mil santa cruz , oh isnt that exactly the same as you will have mr hughes yet again we will finish above you ###### city :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Allow me to speculate:

* Hughes asked to speak to City to force Chelsea's hand. This seemed to become less plausible as reports indicated that the process with City had progressed far. But now one or two reports claim that Hughes as yet hasn't spoken with City, perhaps indicating he wants to drag out the process to give Chelsea enough time. With Ancelloti ruling himself out, Chelsea still have time to go after Hughes if there was any truth to it being between him and Ancelloti as the only remaining short-listed candidates. Now reports are that Chelsea are going after Spellitti from Roma. Hughes might end up with his second choice.

* Hughes is running scared that Chelsea may come knocking at all. Perhaps he's not as ambitious as we all thought, and the idea that he'd be reported as the man who knocked back an ambitious move to Chelsea has frightened him into action. By moving to City, it can be said that they got in first, and Chelsea deferred. Reputation intact, and Hughes bides his time for the next opportunity.

And I've got to say that I still think that Hughes is trying to coax Chelsea into making a move. I think that if Bristol City, let alone Manchester City, had asked to speak with Hughes, he would have demanded Rovers let him. It just so happens that City present a two move opportunity, as the job has appeal in its own right.

Glyn Hodges is the Reserve Team Coach brought in by Mark Hughes from the Wales set-up. Is is not Mark Bowen whom you are referring to? As far as I can make out Mark Bowen is part of Hughes' package to City.

Sorry RM you're right - too early for my brain to be in gear! Edited

Other decent shouts would be Louis Van Gaal, if Zenit would consider letting him go and Michael Laudrup.

I think you're getting your double Dutch candidates confused. Dick Advocaat is the manager of Zenit - Louis Van Gaal manages AZ Alkamaar.

I really like the Laudrup shout.

I really like the Laudrup shout.

Ditto but this says he has agreed to join Panathinaikos, although it seems nothing concrete has come out.

Edit: Just spotted this line on sky

The Athens club are also currently without a coach which complicates the issue further.

They have spoken with former Getafe chief Michael Laudrup and offered him a three-year contract, although they have other options including Alain Perrin and former Chelsea coach Henk Ten Cate.

If shearer is determined to be a manager then why not blackburn ?? regardless of what has happened since he left he has legendary status,he knows how the club operates,the area well and who knows the newcastle job may never land in his lap.................he would imo be respected by the majority of players and would surely attract new players to the club. He would need an experienced number 2 but he would imo be the perfect appointment..........

Allardyce is by far the most appropriate candidate. I quite fancy him and Gary Speed as his assistant.

Steve Coppel would be my second choice, but I doubt he'd leave Reading just now. Seems like a pretty loyal guy.

My wildcard would be Alan Pardew. I liked his passion whilst at West Ham and was booted out unfairly.

Archived