BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

Personally, I would be quite happy to swap Bentley for Bent and Lennon and no cash - spurs could then get Bent of the wage bill and could use it as a smokescreen for spending so much money on him in the first instance !

At the moment Rovers don't want a striker...so there would be no need for Bent. He is vastly over-rated anyway and not worth it.

IF Spurs are that interested they should pay the price and move their unwanted players elsewhere.

IF Rovers got £15 million they would probably sell and spend the dough.

That would look like an ideal end game to me.

The trouble is that it is unlikely to come to that for some time.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I would be quite happy to swap Bentley for Bent and Lennon and no cash - spurs could then get Bent of the wage bill and could use it as a smokescreen for spending so much money on him in the first instance !

Yeah good idea Taggart! And of course accepting that Sky money is static this year that you would be quite happy to see your admission price rise by 50% simply to pay for Darren Bent moving to our wage bill? :rolleyes:

Phew! At last I can go to my bed and actually get some sleep now. Thanks to Dave S, and Gumboots.

P.S. (just for you two): I bet there were thousands more that didn't know either but were too afraid to admit it! ;)

I heard his name on talk radio. Then I referred to the dreaded Wikipedia.

OK Wikipedia is not the best source but it gives an idea of at least where a player is from and where he plays.

I know some of the bigger foreign names, but have no idea when it comes to the type of foreign player Rovers are likely to sign.

Probably like most of the MB.

I thought Villa had already offered £15m cash and that had been rejected?

Bent is on about £80k a week and isn't worth a third of that.

I think the Villa stuff was propaganda, possibly even put out by Rovers. ;)

I thought Villa had already offered £15m cash and that had been rejected?

Bent is on about £80k a week and isn't worth a third of that.

Both are just rumours and not true I think.

Spurs have a wage cap of about £60k don't they?

im not entirely sure what i think of the "power to the players" debate. on one hand they should respect the club and their fans.. BUT its THEIR life. THEIR career. THEIR happiness. If i was under contract, and was forced to stay at a job, even though i wanted away i would be totally :angry: :angry: and trying my best to get the move i wanted. you only live once, and even though you should be happy to have a well paid job etc. you have to be cynical with these issues. dont waste your time at a place you dont feel is right.

dont you agree?

dont you understand players who want away should get the oportunity?

Maybe so, but there's a way of doing it. If a player wants to move, fine fair enough, but it should be done in a professional manner and not by barking off to the media at the earliest opportunity to try and engineer a move. And until a suitable buyer comes in with the valuation that matches Rovers, the player should still give 100% for Rovers on the field.

Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. :rolleyes:

The Riordan confusion continues. You appear to be a lone voice in your assertion that a new bid has been made.

All other media sources report no bids have been made.

I quite like being a lone voice...

Bear in mind that the quotes from Coyley would have been made on Wednesday morning.

A lot can happen in a short space of time.

And has.

As we see regularly (Eduardo) injuries are an occupational hazard. It's tough but it's the luck of the draw imo.

Yep. It's the line athletes always fall back on when asked why they are paid so much (that and they only play until their mid-thirties). Now they want to have the massive wages but cover for the risk as well?

At the moment Rovers don't want a striker...

Nicko What is the situation with Jason Roberts?

He seemed to want out at least on two occasions last season. Also Rovers were prepared to sell him.

If this happens we will need to replace him.

I quite like being a lone voice...

Bear in mind that the quotes from Coyley would have been made on Wednesday morning.

A lot can happen in a short space of time.

And has.

He could very well be a bad influence down the road anyway, aren't they after that Dutchman I said and 2 Man Utd loanees too? My mates seem quite excited again for the end of this week.

Also, I'd stay miles clear of Bent, he had a couple of good years at Championship level with Ipswich and one good one with Charlton? £15m - pah, I think not.

Spurs have a wage cap of about £60k don't they?

It was on here a while back. When there was a list of the top paid footballers in the world. Just after the Risse pay cheque came out.

I'm sure it was around £80k, may be wrong and it may be £60k but he was right up there with some big names on the world stage.

Edit: I can't find the picture version but here is the list Link

Darren Bent: £94,669, 19th best paid in the world(at time of printing)

Edit2: Download Link to the image

im not entirely sure what i think of the "power to the players" debate. on one hand they should respect the club and their fans.. BUT its THEIR life. THEIR career. THEIR happiness. If i was under contract, and was forced to stay at a job, even though i wanted away i would be totally :angry: :angry: and trying my best to get the move i wanted. you only live once, and even though you should be happy to have a well paid job etc. you have to be cynical with these issues. dont waste your time at a place you dont feel is right.

dont you agree?

dont you understand players who want away should get the oportunity?

No thats absolute rubbish. If any players want to keep their options open then all they need to do is insist that THEIR contracts that THEY with THEIR agents have negotiated and that THEY have signed willingly and freely are for no longer than 12 months. What could be simpler hawkiiz?

Here check this out.......

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp...5&dict=CALD

He could very well be a bad influence down the road anyway, aren't they after that Dutchman I said and 2 Man Utd loanees too? My mates seem quite excited again for the end of this week.

Also, I'd stay miles clear of Bent, he had a couple of good years at Championship level with Ipswich and one good one with Charlton? £15m - pah, I think not.

Aye, my bro was on about the Dutchman and kids from Man U too.

Not sure I agree about Bent. I think he could be a decent signing. He just needs a fresh start.

No thats absolute rubbish. If any players want to keep their options open then all they need to do is insist that THEIR contracts that THEY with THEIR agents have negotiated and that THEY have signed willingly and freely are for no longer than 12 months. What could be simpler hawkiiz?

have you never agreed to a contract and then learned that it was the wrong move? people should not be locked to a business just because a piece of paper says so. when bentley signed he was what? 21 years old? he was young, got his firstt real big contract and thought he was on the top of the world. now he have (at least in his eyes) developed to be the main force at rovers, and want to try himself at a higher level. I understand him 100%. you HAVE to be cynical with these things.

At the moment Rovers don't want a striker...so there would be no need for Bent.

They might not want a striker, but heck we need one. If Rocky gets injured for any length of time we'll be in for a long, stressful season. Even with him, we're so short of strike power it's untrue.

If i want a new job, I go to my boss and say I'm applying for new jobs and will he give me a reference. Football contracts are different. If i want to move there's no fee involved. I apply, I get the job I want and I hand in notice, which I serve and so on. You can't liken football to ordinary jobs because of the fees involved and the way contracts are. I don't blame any player wanting to move clubs but I do blame a lot of them for the way they go about it, especially when they don't immediately get their own way.

Over the last couple weeks due to rovers being fairly quiet on the transfer front, theres been alot of Burnley,Hull,Fulham etc transfer talk. Is there not a seperate topic for these?im sure nicko wouldnt mind answering them on a seperate topic!

Just seems like this current thread is getting filled with other teams going ons!

have you never agreed to a contract and then learned that it was the wrong move? people should not be locked to a business just because a piece of paper says so. when bentley signed he was what? 21 years old? he was young, got his firstt real big contract and thought he was on the top of the world. now he have (at least in his eyes) developed to be the main force at rovers, and want to try himself at a higher level. I understand him 100%. you HAVE to be cynical with these things.

What?

So you're advocating that all contracts should be treated as worthless, just because you may have made a decision that you've now changed your mind about?

Seriously, have you thought about the ramifications of that? A contract is a contract. It should not be entered into lightly - That's why people are paid fortunes for negotiating the contracts in the first place. To say "oh no actually i didn't mean that" isn't exactly something that would stand up against that.

Hawkiz, can I apply your logic to my next phone contract? My first big loan?

I mean, I am young and I'll probably sign up for some things that later on I'll realise I shouldn't have. Can I just ask to be let out?

Many times but you must take the rough with the smooth. How about you contracting a builder to stick an extension on your house and him bguggering off with it half finished and you not being able to find anybody else able or willing to complete on the original estimate. If anybody breaks a contract a clause should be in place to re-imburse financially the aggrieved party.

Breaking agreed contracts for no good reason (unless mutually agreed by both parties) is simply a cop out for weak minded individuals.

If i want a new job, I go to my boss and say I'm applying for new jobs and will he give me a reference. Football contracts are different. If i want to move there's no fee involved. I apply, I get the job I want and I hand in notice, which I serve and so on. You can't liken football to ordinary jobs because of the fees involved and the way contracts are. I don't blame any player wanting to move clubs but I do blame a lot of them for the way they go about it, especially when they don't immediately get their own way.

You have not got a fixed term contract though gumboots.

Archived