BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nickos (newer) Thread

However, Rovers can't go out and buy the next Ronaldo.

Why not Mr Robinson? Everyone has to start somewhere, whats to say we can't scout him first and get him cheap, then sell him on to a top 4 club in 3 or 4 years.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not Mr Robinson? Everyone has to start somewhere, whats to say we can't scout him first and get him cheap, then sell him on to a top 4 club in 3 or 4 years.

Lol have you been playing football manager again Mr Rowley? :brfcsmilie:

Plus, isn't that what we have done with Bentley?

Savage is even less of a holding player than Vogel and Tugay. Savage is primarily a defensive midfielder, but is not the kind to sit back. He makes forward runs, and in defense he often quite far up the pitch trying to intercept/hurry passes etc. He's more of a Patrick Vieira than a Claude Makelele, if we were to make comparisons to French internationals. While Tugay and Vogel are more in the mould of... uh... Andra Pirlo (Italy is next to France, so close enough), i.e they sit back but for a different reason; they do it to always be open and to keep the ball rolling. Mokoena is the only typical holding midfielder, in the defensive-minded sense, we've had for a long time, but he's not good enough for it in a 4-man midfield.

A player with the defensive skills of Makelele and the passing of Tugay would be awesome though. Sadly there are very very few of those around.

I agree its just with Samba and Nelsen last year, they where prone to making one or two errors of judgement Samba especially, we all know on there day they are Rocks, but having a step up from the axe in front of them gives us more cover and solidity. Vogels ability to spot and execute a pass, if played in a 4231 with a holder alongside it allows him to push on and use that ability to greater effect, If ince does play as i suspect then, i do not want to see Vogels passing wasted in that role when he would be more effective and creative further forward, as everyone on here has said we lack creativity.

The Pirlo comparision is a fair one, but when defensive solidity is required AC and Italy use a different player - Gattuso or they play the two next too each other, gattuso wins it and gives it to Pirlo

I do wonder if Mokoena is up to this we've never seen him play in front of the back two with two real central midfielder in front of him, I just believe he not composed enough for the role and can't pass wind let alone a ball.

I don't remember Hughes playing 4-4-2 all that often last season. He spent a fair few games playing with Cruz up top with either Benni or bentley playing behind him. Sometimes with Cruz up to alone and benni in midfield. Hughes was fairly defensive last season and played one up top for large parts.

Ince is supposed to prefer an attacking style - are you sure he played 4-5-1 and not a more attacking variation like 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1?

We defo started 442, with a switch to 4411 later on, I saw Mk once last year it was 451 ala chelsea, but he had pace out wide, we don't, I' think he'll adapt it to the 4231 ala Man utd with a hole player, its a bit more solid defensively and allows the attacking midfielder a bit more licence to roam, the two midfielders would also help protect the flanks when the wingers push on, and their lack of pace becomes less of an issue.

Plus, isn't that what we have done with Bentley?

Indeed it is and what we did with Duff. There is young talent available to us, it's just spotting it and getting it before the big European clubs. That's the biggest challenge, otherwise we have to rely upon scraps from failed top 4 team youths, like we did with Bentley and that has worked well.

Bryan: Our kit should be Orange next season :P

Only problem is would Lennon be anymore happy to play for us than Bentley? Villa have the pacey approach and it works well for them, but would we then need a pacey left winger as well? Then you ask the question of crossing ability, according to some Lennon has virtually non, which would be a massive problem for rocky.

I would guess the first you hear of Ince's targets will be when they are confirmed signings, we seem to be very good at avoiding the media.

Lennon has family up here though.

yeh his uncle is a teacher at St Augustines school near Blackburn!

think the rest of his family live near Leeds!

And for anyone who said Lennon is no good 9 England caps says otherwise!

Doesn't Bentley? His family aren't from London anyway.

Hopefully Lennon still has his ego on the ground unlike some. As i have said he wouldn't be the worst buy but I can't help but feel we would lose to much if we directly replaced Bentley with him and then didn't bring in some other good crosser.

Hi_Mack: Phil Neville, Michael Ricketts, Chris Powell. England caps aren't the be all and end all. And in the right role he would be good for us.

Ince is only seeing his players for the first time next Monday as a group so I cant see anything happening at all on the transfer front until about the 12th when he`s had time to talk to one or two players. I think he will be crazy to even consider selling Bentley and Santa or Samba as he will be committing professional suicide. He wants to succeed in the Premiership and he knows that if those players were to go then he would struggle. So I expect that he will tell them in no uncertain terms that they are not going anywhere and will play their heart out for the team.

He will stengthen the team by adding a couple to the squad probably a right back and a speedy midfielder as he seems to favour a good pacy style of play.

There is always an air of excitement in every club at this time of year and I can feel it down at Ewood.

Doesn't Bentley? His family aren't from London anyway.

Hopefully Lennon still has his ego on the ground unlike some. As i have said he wouldn't be the worst buy but I can't help but feel we would lose to much if we directly replaced Bentley with him and then didn't bring in some other good crosser.

Hi_Mack: Phil Neville, Michael Ricketts, Chris Powell. England caps aren't the be all and end all. And in the right role he would be good for us.

Phil Neville was a decent player! Aaron Lennon has been picked in a WC squad not a meaningless qualifier!

I do agree tho in the right position he could be a real asset!

I would guess this could actually be pretty dangerous:

Bradley

Bert--Samba--Nelsen--Warnock (Ooijer when applicable)

Vogel

DB/AL--Reid--Dunn--Gamst

Cruz

If we get a new AM, replace Reid.

I think Benni should be given a few games, he says he has changed and I don't think he's just saying it for the sake of it. Since he pledged himself to Rovers, he hasn't managed to get a single 45 minutes as far as I know. I know he came on and straight away hassled a Liverpool player before shooting and missing narrowly against Liverpool. I think he may have got his old fire back. Yet, Cruz is arguably our best striker when on form, so if we use a 4-5-1 we will have to pick between them and I have to say I wouldn't have a clue.

I would guess this could actually be pretty dangerous:

Bradley

Bert--Samba--Nelsen--Warnock (Ooijer when applicable)

Vogel

DB/AL--Reid--Dunn--Gamst

Cruz

If we get a new AM, replace Reid.

I think Benni should be given a few games, he says he has changed and I don't think he's just saying it for the sake of it. Since he pledged himself to Rovers, he hasn't managed to get a single 45 minutes as far as I know. I know he came on and straight away hassled a Liverpool player before shooting and missing narrowly against Liverpool. I think he may have got his old fire back. Yet, Cruz is arguably our best striker when on form, so if we use a 4-5-1 we will have to pick between them and I have to say I wouldn't have a clue.

Our centre midfield is still absolutely toothless.

What Roberts needs, is space in front of him. He'll get that at certain away grounds but doesn't get it at Ewood. He doesn't have the technique to break open solid defences anywhere.

Oh I dunno... he broke open a pretty solid one at OT in the semi.

If the current 4 all stay then we can forget messing with the forward line. They are all so different and offer managers such different options. Often the power, pace and directness of Roberts is not only complimentary but more useful than the guile of McArthy and the sharpness of Derbyshire.

I see Mk Dons have got Roberto Di Matteo and Eddie Newton in.

Di Matteo huh? He was a good player in his time in both Italy and in this country, and he played under some top managers too so he must be absolutely nailed on certain to be a great great manager.

err... btw .... Has he got any coaching badges? ^_^

Di Matteo huh? He was a good player in his time in both Italy and in this country, and he played under some top managers too so he must be absolutely nailed on certain to be a great great manager.

err... btw .... Has he got any coaching badges? ^_^

More badges than Paul Ince ironically.

Thats why its taken him this long to get into management. He has spent the last few years aquiring the badges... :wacko:

That's why I'm hoping we get a new AM. :)

However, I think Dunn is underrated. I am certain we played better when he was on the field, he is just about the only player we have who can actually run at people with the ball and not try whumphing back to the defence.

I don't think I'd be thrilled to have either of Reid or Dunn consistently starting matches for us next season. Dunn played well at times last season, but he seems to run out of gas too early on. Signing an AM is apparently a priority for the club... but in addition to that I think we'd do well to sign a versatile central mid. like Michael Bradley if we coud get him for a fair price. Nicko, heard anything about Bradley lately?

I don't think I'd be thrilled to have either of Reid or Dunn consistently starting matches for us next season. Dunn played well at times last season, but he seems to run out of gas too early on. Signing an AM is apparently a priority for the club... but in addition to that I think we'd do well to sign a versatile central mid. like Michael Bradley if we coud get him for a fair price. Nicko, heard anything about Bradley lately?

I think Michael Bradley is an offensive mid. He netted 15 goals in 54 apps for SC Herenveen.

I believe that is from midfield position.

I think Michael Bradley is an offensive mid. He netted 15 goals in 54 apps for SC Herenveen.

I believe that is from midfield position.

A fine player in my opinion, has a lot of international expericance too. Level headed player that has a great coach for a father.

A fine player in my opinion, has a lot of international expericance too. Level headed player that has a great coach for a father.

He's also very young, 20 yrs old.

I beleive he has a great future and the fact that Moyes showed interest in him is a quality sign.

Archived