BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers "no" Castillo

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can Besciano play a holding role? I thought he was more of an attacking player, particularly out left... with the Chilean coming in that spot seems to be taken?

For me we need a big player who can tie up the midfield with strength, ability and legs, but who can also distribute the ball well and protect the defence. Castillo was supposed to do all those things. Are there many of this type of player around?

Bresciano for 2m is good business but you have to wonder if it is what we need.

As for Castillo - I am sure his attitude must have counted seriously against him. I can't imagine Ince would have a lot of time for a character like that. Back to the drawing board....

Andrews has NOT signed has he?

I would much prefer Bresciano, he is low risk, 28 years old and technically an excellent player who can play in a variety of positions.

True but all reports have suggested Ince was keen to bring him to Ewood.

Bresciano would be my choice too, would sooner have him over Castillo, he's been a consistently good performer in Serie A. Can play on the left too and give Gamst a kick up the backside.

I am a little bit puzzled about what our midfield needs. I think we will have a decent holding player who can distribute the ball in Vogel. I clearly think we need another box-to-box midfielder who can run his ass off defensively and create something. Not many of them out there

Can Besciano play a holding role? I thought he was more of an attacking player, particularly out left... with the Chilean coming in that spot seems to be taken?He can play all across the midfield right left and in the hole

For me we need a big player who can tie up the midfield with strength, ability and legs, but who can also distribute the ball well and protect the defence. Castillo was supposed to do all those things. Are there many of this type of player around?A bit like Reid before his injury then, Off course there are you just have to find them

Bresciano for 2m is good business but you have to wonder if it is what we need.There's no doubt this boy can play, and yes we do need him. He's established pineapple is not you can't just throw him in the deep end and hope he swims. Our other options are Dunn, who's not what he was, Reid Ditto. Bresciano would give us cover on both flanks and play in the hole allowing pineapple to be eased in, it makes sense

As for Castillo - I am sure his attitude must have counted seriously against him. I can't imagine Ince would have a lot of time for a character like that. Back to the drawing board.... At the end of the day, I thought he reminded me a little of ince and Savage TBH

I am a little bit puzzled about what our midfield needs. I think we will have a decent holding player who can distribute the ball in Vogel. I clearly think we need another box-to-box midfielder who can run his ass off defensively and create something. Not many of them out there

Keith Andrews ?? ;)

Brett Emerton

I don't really see Vogel as that effective a defensive forcem although his distribution is good. If we play him we will need to have another more powerful player alongside him.

Ultimately I guess it comes down to how we play....

If go with two very attacking wingers - for arguments sake Villa'pinenapple'nuava and Bentley - then we need two quite defensive central midfielders to provide the balance and the stability. Presumably the two in that instance will be Vogel and Emerton or AN Other who we are looking to get in.

If on the other hand we play a more defensive minded wide player(s) (like Pedersen or Emerton) then we can afford to have a more attacking central player. But then this attacking central player is something we already have quite a lot of options in: Dunn/Reid/Pinenapple.

If we get in Bresciano it would make sense in my mind to sell either Dunn or Reid, and get another proper defensive midfielder in (who can forage forward, but mainly a holding player). With just Vogel there we will be brittle if we play with the quick clever wingers Ince wants.

Okay - so the next Samba, Bentley etc. will tell Rovers to get stuffed. Surely we should be looking at these players before we tell them they've been signed and then they havn't?

The word coming out of Blackburn Rovers Football Club has been consistent - that the player was being invited on a TRIAL. No-one from BRFC ever said he was signed.

The (much ridiculed on here) LET stated as much on July 16th --

BLACKBURN Rovers boss Paul Ince has invited the Ecuador midfielder Segundo Castillo on the club’s pre-season trip to Germany.

Contrary to reports elsewhere, Rovers have not agreed a deal to sign the 26-year-old for a fee in the region of £6 million.

However, Ince is keen to take a closer look at the Red Star Belgrade player, after he was approached by his agent, and he is trying to get permission to take him to Bavaria, where Rovers will be based for the next week.

SO the LET has been right about this one all along. It's only pushy agents and tabloid journalists who wanted the story to come out in a more sensational way.

Can't say I'm too disapointed with this. £4 - 6 million is a lot of money to spend on a player I'd never even heard of before. We've also just signed Vogel and got Emerton on a new long term deal so the team's hardly crying out this kind of player.

Just please tell me this doesn't mean we're going to sign Keith Amdrews!

With the Castilio thing it had to be attitude, he had said he was not coming on Trial and he was too good for that.. so he turns up finds its a trial and gets the boot aftr three days..

I cant think of any other reason for just a three day trial.. except maybe a fall out with Cruz lol

Not overly worried about this one but Castillio did sound good.. had a decent reputation as a box to box player who was both good defensivly and on the attack.

Wonder who is next in the list?

that sounds odd to me.

wasnt it yesterday they said he was good enough, but they wanted to meet him and get to know him a bit, and that he had a 22 hour flight behind, so he had to get some time. then today, LET says he has been sent home? which is really news from yesterday... doesnt add up.

i was thinking the same thing...he must have been with the team for what 2 days? with a 22 hour flight,the guy must have been exhausted....strange this one,and im trying to think how Ince could possibly make a decision on the guy with him not being with the team that long,or even being involved in at least one competitive game :unsure:

Well we have been linked to the world class talent that is Keith Andrews...

Well I do have the feeling Ince is looking for someone in his own mold to sit in the middle of the park.. Andrews.. isnt he an attacking midfielder? I hear that he is what one would classify as a proper captain type player but i agree he really does not seem to have the quality even if he is a late developer and has suddenly come good (remember he won the player of the season for the league, but hey it was div 2).

Would be nice to have a proper inspirational style player in the middle of the park, obviously Ince did not feel Castillio was that man, but I cant really see many of those guys out there...

I suppose that Chelsea guy who went of to PSG would of fit the bill but he is getting on a little, as for others.. hell I cant think of any that would be available.

On a side note this transfer had been going on for quite a while, Ince has played Emerton in that kind of role and maybe he feels he is good enough to fit into that role with the likes of Vogel as backup... afterall we must remember Ince has only seen his players for a couple of weeks so far.

Anyways just glad to see Ince taking a strong position on this one..

Looking at this article, I'd hazard a guess that you're roughly right due to the lack of comments from JW. Maybe JW didn't want to come across offensive by saying Castillo wasn't good enough, but I think something has been lost in translation along the way.

Look again at this quote from a player earninig his corn in the pub league of Europe

"This is a very interesting step for my career because I will have the chance to be near the big teams," said the 26-year-old.

"I am very happy I am going to play in the Premier League and what makes me very happy as well is that I have been told that the coach of Blackburn (Paul Ince) has insisted on signing me, and that gives me confidence.

Nearer the big teams? Just a clue as to why the PI man launched him from the training camp. Nothing like a public execution to keep the natives in line. Caeser Ince is taking no messing and good luck to him.

I guess that this lad did not impress then. We'll have to look elsewhere.

Not really surprised, this is the problem with appointing a manager from league 2 he has no real knowledge of current talent from around the globe and is simply watching dvd's and listening to agents

Explain this one please. Ince played for Man U, Liverpool, Inter Milan, and represented his country in major competitions. Your saying that all that counts for nothing because he spent 2 years with cloggers?

Nicko didn't see that one coming.

Good one. I've said before that I think the messageboard has lost some of it's lustre because of Nicko's postings. Many people only now come on to find out what he has to say even though we all know that nothing happens quickly. He's a journo and makes his money on insider knowledge, speculation, and for want of a better word; 'scandal'. He's posted some good information but he's also posted some tripe, and a fair few times his opinion is taken as gospel. He knows as much about football as the rest of us, yet he has far better contacts and is able to make a living as a result.

I'm ready for the season to start as the board may return to normalcy, that being moan when we lose, and complain when we win.

Nearer the big teams? Just a clue as to why the PI man launched him from the training camp. Nothing like a public execution to keep the natives in line. Caeser Ince is taking no messing and good luck to him.
VERY good point. I remember the comment well, and laughed it off as a mistranslation or something along with most others.

We certainly can't write off an incredibly dodgy ego as the reason he was thrown aside.

With comments like that, tied into a refusal to a trial, it all signifies a character that i wouldn't be too impressed with.

• 2 months later...
I wouldn't gloat. Vince and Keith haven't exactly set the world alight.

That's a little harsh on Vince. He hasn't had much of a chance. Andrews has looked decent in the games I've seen him in, better than Castillo anyway!

Andrews to be fair, has suprised a few im sure. His pass against United to Roberts was class.

He has also done ok in the games so far (except Arsenal). Im Sure like any player as he gets used to his team mates he will improve further.

Grella hasnt had a chance yet.

Castillo has been poor and been hauled off twice at half time so far.

Archived