BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Local Lad Dunny Vice Captain

Yeah. 5.5 million for a player who barely played while he was gone and obviously had an attitude problem at the time was a rubbish deal. Sack Souey!

Even after all this time, the brainwashing is still in place. Sign of a very weak mind. I notice he has had a terrible attitude problem since he's been working with a manager who didn't have one (Hughes). It's clear to all but the perennially "he left me" brigade was that the attitude problem was all on the manager's side.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He still had an attitude problem for a while at Birmingham, he just seemed to get over himself a bit. The guy was touted as being a great prospect, highlighted as a potential future England star and did well at first in the premiership, I think it just went to his head a bit. When he was then told that a bit more was expected of him or that needs meant that he had to play out wide he didn't like it. I think he's realised since then that his career has materliased into what it could have been , partially through bad luck with injuries, partially through the fact that he didn't keep himself fit enough (which is linked to the first one) and also because he didn't manage to continue to develop in the way that was hoped.

I don't doubt that a lot of the clash with Souness was down to Souey himself. I'm sure that he often wasn't an easy man to work for, but no matter what you think Dunn you can't possibly think that it was all the fault of the manager (talk about brain-washed and shutting your eyes). At the end of the day the manager is the big man on campus, if you love your job and your club then you listen to him and get on with your job. That is how it works in most work-places, why should we expect Dunn to be able to call the shots when it was really Souness' head on the line? You also can't possibly ignore the fact that Dunn played very little football whilst away from us and hasn't even managed a huge amount since he has been back, although he has done better. To be able to turn a profit on a player when you sell young and buy back in his prime is unusual and it is a sign that we made the smart move several years ago. Dunn needs to now absolutely prove that we made the smart move in bringing him back. So far he's done fairly well, but he needs to do more, especially now that he is vice-captain.

Eddie

Dunn didn't play in Brum because he was devastated that he left and then Souness did just one season later. Much of the time there was little wrong with him, except a great desire to be home. Allegedly

Should the manager rule the roost? Even when he's clearly rubbish? I don't think so. At the end of the day, if it's a choice of losing a £10m asset or a £1m one, lose the £1m one. The trouble is I struggle to find another manager in the league who would do that- except Sir Alex and we know he has the talent to replace with better. Souness didn't.

Eddie

Dunn didn't play in Brum because he was devastated that he left and then Souness did just one season later. Much of the time there was little wrong with him, except a great desire to be home. Allegedly

Should the manager rule the roost? Even when he's clearly rubbish? I don't think so. At the end of the day, if it's a choice of losing a £10m asset or a £1m one, lose the £1m one. The trouble is I struggle to find another manager in the league who would do that- except Sir Alex and we know he has the talent to replace with better. Souness didn't.

Hope you didn't celebrate promotion, winning a cup and finishing sixth then. Get over yourself. You're the one who is blinded by Souness dislike and Dunn love.

Eddie

So you would have the players make the descions, if thats the case why even bother with one sack the lot and let the players do what they want, train themselves! The second you give in to the players with no basis for doing so something called anarchy comes in.

I'm shocked you think souness was rubbish I had an awesome day at the millenium stadium, Souness lived and died by his desicions as do all managers, I thought Ferguson would push us on, he had done so well in scotland, it didn't happen. We move on, and remember the good times.

Anyone think that Ince is going out of his way to win over the Blackburn public after a so-far dismal pre-season.

Only hours after the "Derbs will play this season" headline - we have Dunn made vice-captain. Not saying I don't agree with the decision - as he obviously has the club at heart. But do wonder if it has been done for the right reasons.

What better way to win over the fans than bigging up two of our own ?

I think anyone who knows about football knows that we haven't had a horrible pre-season. It has been eventful, but very few of those things have really been within our control. The signings could turn out to be bad, the appointment of Ince as manager could turn out to be a poor one, but as of yet we can only say that we've dealt with everything that has come our way and only time will tell if we made the right decisions.

The results don't matter. Any other summer and the majority of people on here wouldn't pay attention to the results. Yes, a few would be getting worried and it would have been nicer to have won every game, but when tested against good teams in Portugal we put on a good show.

Eddie

Speaking of brainwashing....

Even after all this time, the brainwashing is still in place. Sign of a very weak mind. I notice he has had a terrible attitude problem since he's been working with a manager who didn't have one (Hughes). It's clear to all but the perennially "he left me" brigade was that the attitude problem was all on the manager's side.

Good posts Jan, however I'm glad you added the 'allegedly' proviso. It seems you either think you know the reason, or hedging your bets. There were other more salient reasons as to why things didn't work out, and it wasn't simply a case of being devastated he left. Allegedly.

"Dunn didn't play in Brum because he was devastated that he left and then Souness did just one season later. Much of the time there was little wrong with him, except a great desire to be home. Allegedly"

Souey - for all his faults - called one thing right on the Dunny situation at that time, and that proved to be the source of the majority of the problems. However it's also fair to say that Dunny had other issues at that time, but he's faced his demons & come through it seems. Well done to Ince for acknowledging the lad's effort, and for Hughes and all he did too. I know Souey had his detractors for many reasons, but on reflection he got this one right in my book - though I didn't agree at the time.

Anyone think that Ince is going out of his way to win over the Blackburn public after a so-far dismal pre-season.

Only hours after the "Derbs will play this season" headline - we have Dunn made vice-captain. Not saying I don't agree with the decision - as he obviously has the club at heart. But do wonder if it has been done for the right reasons.

What better way to win over the fans than bigging up two of our own ?

Think it's worthy of note the club spun well in the last 24 hours, not just with the two stories you refer to but also to get Roque's brother in & also a story linking Benedict away (I'm loving the Tugay link, he probably started the rumour to be rid!) would warm the cockles of most fair minded fans...

Back to Dunny, just hope he doesn't suffer the vice/club captain curse (note that Dunny's only been made the vice captain AFAIA, club capt often a third appt-if at all!). Personally, I think there can be only one captain, on the pitch playing. All this jibber jabber about vice captain is a bit of a fluff, though it's a good chance for positive PR & spin so we can't knock it too much & I'm sure it's a lift to Dunny (which is clearly the aim). However, I also think (though not the case here) whenever someone is appointed 'club captain' it's usually an emotional appointment & often proves to be the kiss of death to someone that hardly will play.

If there is anywhere in the world where there should be a place for sentimentality, then it should be football.

I am delighted for Dunny, he is, like us, a Rovers fan, what more csan you ask for?

He is also a good footballer, who plays the kind of football I like to watch. I am not certain how good he can be this year but i am delighted he is being given a chance, and that he is being rewarded for hard work and a good attitude, showing other senior players how to approach this new and difficult time at rovers.

Hope he will be a big success.

great news with Dunny being the new vice captain, the lad deserves it he was one of our best players last season, and always gives 100% every game he plays, plus he is a local lad so even the better, no doubt that Jal will disagree but who cares what Jal says!!

jan - there's one chink in your armour on this argument.

After Dunny came back, he admitted publicly that he'd made quite a few mistakes when he was here the first time and that his attitude was better now...

great news with Dunny being the new vice captain, the lad deserves it he was one of our best players last season, and always gives 100% every game he plays, plus he is a local lad so even the better, no doubt that Jal will disagree but who cares what Jal says!!

Are you a member of the junior blues B)

Dunn was really quite positive on Radio Rovers. He described the training as good, he thought that being made vice captain could mean he would play more regularly and he said Villanueva had trained a couple of days with them.

He said Cruz jr looked good in training but he hasn't seen him in a match.

I think it's a smart move to be honest. I think this will encourage Dunny to be more vocal which will consequently inspire confidence like he had in his promising days after we won promotion. Some people like to feel needed to make a difference and I think that Dunn's persona (cheeky chap and all that!) adheres to that.

I just hope that Dunn finds the confidence he has been lacking since his first season at Brum. We really need a player who runs forward with the ball like he used to, taking away defenders attention.

Dunn was really quite positive on Radio Rovers. He described the training as good, he thought that being made vice captain could mean he would play more regularly and he said Villanueva had trained a couple of days with them.

He said Cruz jr looked good in training but he hasn't seen him in a match.

This is promising.

I just hope that Dunn finds the confidence he has been lacking since his first season at Brum. We really need a player who runs forward with the ball like he used to, taking away defenders attention.

Spot on. In a 5 man midfield with Carlos, Dunny attracting attention and being seen as a threat would be a massive asset to us.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived