BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Zigic

Den, are you judging him on the odd international tournament. If you are, it is very unfair because someone who judged "Stevie G" and "Lamps" on international duty wouldn't sign them on a free transfer.

I don't know a lot at all about Zigic but he has been Serbian player of the year three times and has scored goals in Spain and earned a multi-million pound move to Valencia.

Yes, he may be a Walter Pandiani/Savo Milosevic type who can't hack it in England and frankly isn't great but is effective in Spain.

However, to dismiss him as totally useless, imo, is excessively harsh. That said, I haven't seen much of him at all. And records can be suspect as we know with Sven.

Den, are you judging him on the odd international tournament. If you are, it is very unfair because someone who judged "Stevie G" and "Lamps" on international duty wouldn't sign them on a free transfer.

I don't know a lot at all about Zigic but he has been Serbian player of the year three times and has scored goals in Spain and earned a multi-million pound move to Valencia.

Yes, he may be a Walter Pandiani/Savo Milosevic type who can't hack it in England and frankly isn't great but is effective in Spain.

However, to dismiss him as totally useless, imo, is excessively harsh. That said, I haven't seen much of him at all. And records can be suspect as we know with Sven.

Yet you judge youth players having NEVER seen them?

I judge them on what I read over a period of time, be they match reports, stats, youth international games, messageboard reports and opinions.

And even then, I don't draw hard conclusions on how good they can be or are but urge Rovers management to recognise the fact that they have reached a certain high standard and deserve transition games so as that Blackburn maximise the use of their academy. I don't start crowing about the fact that they should start every game (unless the first teamer in their position is really bad).

To that extent, my judgment on youth players is more a judgment on how the system should work rather than championing individuals. If I have championed individuals, it is more because I believe in a proactive youth promotion system rather than because I think that that particular player is a genius in the makng.

To my mind, that is a more valid basis and method for forming an opinion than an international tournament (if that is how you have reached your conclusion on Zigic).

You may be right that he is a bad player but I would suggest you consider his record and achievements as well, that's all.

I judge them on what I read over a period of time, be they match reports, stats, youth international games, messageboard reports and opinions.

And even then, I don't draw hard conclusions on how good they can be or are but urge Rovers management to recognise the fact that they have reached a certain high standard and deserve transition games so as that Blackburn maximise the use of their academy. I don't start crowing about the fact that they should start every game (unless the first teamer in their position is really bad).

To that extent, my judgment on youth players is more a judgment on how the system should work rather than championing individuals. If I have championed individuals, it is more because I believe in a proactive youth promotion system rather than because I think that that particular player is a genius in the makng.

To my mind, that is a more valid basis and method for forming an opinion than an international tournament (if that is how you have reached your conclusion on Zigic).

You may be right that he is a bad player but I would suggest you consider his record and achievements as well, that's all.

Rover6, I judged him at the time that rovers were linked to him first time round. I saw that he didn't have any pace, little technique and next to no mobility. Why shouldn't we judge players when they're representing their country? I doubt he is any quicker, more skilful or more mobile when he's playing for his club.

Thankfully/hopefully, the no sell declarationby Ince today means McCarthy doesn't have to be replaced- I cannot see Valencia selling Zigic for under £6m and I don't see us spending that sort of money without selling a forward.

I saw Zigic on TV in the famous 3-1 Red Star win over Roma and was unimpressed despite the two goals. He was guilty of several bad instances of poor control and whilst his strike for the 3rd was a cracker, the Roma defence was culpable all evening. I have also seen him in a Liga game for Valencia and frankly it looked like someone had let a giraffe out on the park, he was so uninvolved in a typical highly technical Spanish game.

Have you looked up the word pompous in the dictionary recently? If not give it a read.

Rover6. You have much wisdom. But i suggest you go to the Burnley thread to find the true meaning of the word.

Gandalf.

Rover6, you forget, Ince has been linked with him - albeit very tenuously.

I don't recall anywhere near the same level of dissent when Hughes was reportedly interested, and that was at a fee reported to be around the 8-10m mark.

Have you looked up the word pompous in the dictionary recently? If not give it a read.

That's rich, coming from you....

(edit: Cue dig about my nationality for lack of any other response.)

Prem clubs should be looking ti sign "footballers", players with skill and application, - not Zigic.

I think Prem clubs, specifically ours, should be looking to sign strikers who can score goals, regardless of how they do it. Crouch seems to have done pretty well for himself.

I think Prem clubs, specifically ours, should be looking to sign strikers who can score goals, regardless of how they do it. Crouch seems to have done pretty well for himself.

Indeed, and he's @#/?.

Dunno why so much negativity on Zigic, was a monster at Red Star then done good enough in spain to get a big move to Valencia. He'll get goals, cause problems and other strikers can feed off him. If he isn't too expensive why not.

I rate him as a player, but I just can't see him and Roque forming a partnership.

I actually reckon they'd do ok together. I know they're both big guys but not like RSC is sluggish or anything. Powerful strikers together can be as effective as quick strikers if you use them right. Needn't all be long balls either.

Archived