BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nicko's Thread

Any truth in this post Nicko?

RIGHT WINGER - I'm not sure that is right because as of yesterday Rovers were still sniffing around a couple of right wingers...without much joy. Mind you, it only takes the right call.

REPORTER BAN - News to me. I would have thought the club needed more coverage - not less. This morning's papers were awful.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Pennant is not too keen now, do you know if we have alternatives at the moment?

Also, any more fire on the Grella/Bresciano double act as of now?

Bresciano is linked with about four clubs this morning which suggests he [a] doesn't have one and has a worried agent.

Grella has a bit more credibility, but the size of the fee reported - around £4 million - seems a bit heavy.

RIGHT WINGER - I'm not sure that is right because as of yesterday Rovers were still sniffing around a couple of right wingers...without much joy. Mind you, it only takes the right call.

REPORTER BAN - News to me. I would have thought the club needed more coverage - not less. This morning's papers were awful.

Is that because they are poor or the fact that they don't wanna come or the respetive clubs won't sell?

The two right wingers, are they domestic ones or from abroad?

I feel time is running out and if we havent done things yet, there is a huge chance of some panic buying or loaning on August 30-31. :(

There are a few names being bandied about just now and I believe one or two watched this weekend. Until I know which one has got the vote, I'm going to leave it as a story.

I agree that we could do with some progress on transfers, but just about every Premier League side could do the same.

And after a few get beaten today there will be some almighty panic going about next week...

And after a few get beaten today there will be some almighty panic going about next week...

What's your understanding of the attitude of the new regime down at at Brockhall; Would Ince in your opinion have the wherewithal to avoid this type of 'Nathan Blake Syndrome? panic buying'

What's your understanding of the attitude of the new regime down at at Brockhall; Would Ince in your opinion have the wherewithal to avoid this type of 'Nathan Blake Syndrome? panic buying'

I think there will be panic buying everywhere...and Rovers will be no exception.

It's just the name of the game. Transfers are becoming harder and harder to do.

I think there will be panic buying everywhere...and Rovers will be no exception.

It's just the name of the game. Transfers are becoming harder and harder to do.

One final question.

Have you heard anything tangible that Ince is more inclined than Hughes to give the youth players the opportunity to shine this season?

If so does he rate any of them in patricular as good enough to make the grade?

Thanks for that, I know this is a busy time for you.

One final question.

Have you heard anything tangible that Ince is more inclined than Hughes to give the youth players the opportunity to shine this season?

If so does he rate any of them in patricular as good enough to make the grade?

Thanks for that, I know this is a busy time for you.

Treacy and Judge have certainly been given chances in pre-season.

However it will be interesting if either figure today.

To be expected. We'll end up paying £14m, IMO.

I reckon he'll be a City player by next week.

I have no insider knowledge. I am specualting.

We've got loads of cash, btw.

just a comment from that city website, made me lagh thought id share

!!

Any sign of Sunderland and Benni Mac becoming a serious possibility? The Mail reckons £8.5m - sounds good to me, he strikes me as a man in need of a change of scenery and we could get a decent replacement for that.

It's been a live one for the past 10/11 days.

I don't think Sunderland are bidding at £8.5 million yet, but if they are sticking at it then someone is encouraging them...it's always the way.

Rovers don't want to sell unless the price is right.

If they go to £9 million this could happen...and then you have to find a replacement.

Nicko, to be fair if they offer 9m I'll quite happily drive him to Sunderland.

He really didn't look interested last year and he doesn't look fit this season, certainly looked like he'd been spending too much time in Dunny's Pie shop over the close season.

At 31 it's probably the last chance to cash in on him.

Any sign of Sunderland and Benni Mac becoming a serious possibility? The Mail reckons £8.5m - sounds good to me, he strikes me as a man in need of a change of scenery and we could get a decent replacement for that.

Who do you have in mind?

I must say that selling players needs careful planning for. A suitable replacement or better must be signed or at least lined up first. The Hughes team are the only ones to get it spot on imi. Time and again we have sold players with the kind of devil may care attitude that you are displaying and ended up with crap. When we sold Shearer we should have had Robbie Keane lined up... we got Per Pederson...... and there was no transfer window either then! Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Sell Benny by all means but we need to line up a replacement first .... and after the Fowler debacle I'm not sure our manager would know a Prem quality striker if he fell over one! 8.5m in the bank does not earn any points. RSC starting matches up top with the scouser fills me with dread.

Surely it's most likely - and realistic - Ince MAY make a couple signings (as his latest interview suggests) if the right deals become available, but it may be more prudent to wait until January. I think it's absolutely the wrong decision to buy for the sake of it - as some on here suggest - if the VALUE of the player isn't there, but the COST is. Surely this is the factor with Annan, Andrews, Pennant etc.?

We all get caught up in the excitement of spending big, but look at it from the business angle; clubs are suffering with liquidity and can't buy players without leverage/balancing the books with transfers out. Rovers at present are more 'cash rich' than most, so simple supply and demand suggests clubs will be trying to over-charge for any likely targets. I doubt Ince - or any Rovers manager - will be allowed to overpay for any player, more likely that potential targets will have a 'will pay' price set by Ince/JW and if can negotiate to match that, business will be done.

Look at the Annan deal, some discrepancy there from 1.5 mill to 3.5 mill? Given that Ince seemingly didn't want to splash the cash immediately - despite the scare mongering - suggests they was trying to play hard ball and avoid a bidding war, given the clear obvious factor of a club desperate to sell. Personally, I applaud this stance - as I do with Andrews - as we're not seemingly given the manager free reign to spend what he wants on who he wants. Maybe I'm looking at all this as from a commercial slant rather than a fan.

Another point folks seem to have forgotten - Ince will have a far better knowledge of players, Europe, Prem in a few months as well as his scouting network, trust of agents etc. Let's not forget Hughes often targetted players then was preferred to wait out for the right opportunity - player becoming available, price coming down, whatever. I'd much rather see Ince buying the right player for the right price, rather than another Grabbi for instance.

Nicko - know you've said Cisse definitely not before, but if we are considering a pacy striker, given player's been on the list @ Rovers for some time and expressed a long-standing desire to come back to the Prem, can you say why? Surely he's been considered, does Ince simply not rate him, too much money or what? Think it's family reasons as to why wants to come back, with recent birth of his little lad I'm hoping he comes back to be Lord of Frodsham again, and hope's he's got stronger bones :lol:

Off the Continent, we could get a very very good replacement at even less than that price.

Players move for 5-6 million Euros and Im talking about very good players.

Yes its a risk of the guy settling in, but if he is proven in some of the bigger leagues, then its worth it.

Id go for someone like Cissé.

Nicko - know you've said Cisse definitely not before, but if we are considering a pacy striker, given player's been on the list @ Rovers for some time and expressed a long-standing desire to come back to the Prem, can you say why? Surely he's been considered, does Ince simply not rate him?

I think his performances and general attitude at Liverpool is well known to the staff at Rovers.

That is a no go.

Who do you have in mind?

Time and again we have sold players with the kind of devil may care attitude that you are displaying and ended up with crap. When we sold Shearer we should have had Robbie Keane lined up... we got Per Pederson...... and there was no transfer window either then! Nuff said. :rolleyes:

And when Speedie went, we got Shearer!

Agree ref Hughes's recruitment policy, superb - fit the club's criteria yet brought quality players in that we could sell for good profit. Throw in a few star players with hunger to improve, rough diamonds to polish etc. Another aspect why it's unrealistic for Ince to match his predecessor, at least in the short term.

Off the Continent, we could get a very very good replacement at even less than that price.

Players move for 5-6 million Euros and Im talking about very good players.

Yes its a risk of the guy settling in, but if he is proven in some of the bigger leagues, then its worth it.

Id go for someone like Cissé.

You trying to tell me that has not occurred to Sunderland? Wise up Bobby. :rolleyes:

And when Speedie went, we got Shearer!

I think that should read 'Speedie only left when we signed Shearer'. Which would validate my point precisely

Have to agree with TND on this; a rare occassion where he has talked sense since the end of last season.

I've cut, pasted and saved that comment leftfooter. You WILL be seeing it again. -_-

Archived