BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky - Not A Great Manager?

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Utterly fanciful but it would be a sickener if Hughes became available just after we make the change of manager.

Are the goings-on at Eastlands the reason for the Ince reprieve?

Why on earth would Hughes ever want to come back to Ewood after walking out on us the first time round?

At least under the current owners?

Why on earth would Hughes ever want to come back to Ewood after walking out on us the first time round?

Pretty obvious:

1) Higher profile and more lauded managers than Sparky have walked away from jobs in the past and found themselves without an employer for much longer than they thought they would.

2) If he has ambitions for OT, he certainly doesn't need a 12 month gap in his cv in Ferguson's 68th year

3) Coming back to Rovers and hauling us away from near-certain relegation would enhance his reputation after a so-so time at City

4) As Rovers are willing to contemplate a short-term contract for a former Manager, why not for Sparky? He'd be a safer pair of hands than Souey.

Looks like a win-win all round to me with limited downside risk for all parties. Besides which by Rovers standards, the club is so desperate he would probably get a bigger transfer fund than he has had in the past. Nothing by ADUG standards but then he is not going to spend that- somebody is going to spend it for him by all accounts.

You could have asked the same of Souness when he left to a "bigger club". Then he got sacked there and has been out of a job since. Hughes aint daft.

on the subject of the perception of ex rovers managers with hindsight I heard a fan on the news the other day saying (and I paraphrase) "I would gladly have Souness back, and that is saying something". Is he talking about the same manager, who in is first full season got us promoted? Who won the league cup, plus a couple of top 6 finishes? OK it went a bit downhill in the final season but that was only after selling duff and dunn.

strange how time colours people's perception

on the subject of the perception of ex rovers managers with hindsight I heard a fan on the news the other day saying (and I paraphrase) "I would gladly have Souness back, and that is saying something". Is he talking about the same manager, who in is first full season got us promoted? Who won the league cup, plus a couple of top 6 finishes? OK it went a bit downhill in the final season but that was only after selling duff and dunn.

strange how time colours people's perception

Strange that

This is the same manager who CHOSE to sell Dunn and Duff and managed to buy, erm Bert (who took 3 years and a change of position to come good) permanent sicknote Reid,Jason Brown and Amoruso. Who didn't replace Duff for over 2 years. Who left us with a lead striker of Paul Dickov because of his @#/? behaviour. Who fell out with everyone in sight and who everyone apart from the clinically insane was delighted to get rid of for cash.

And he was taking us from whence he brought us.

And no, I wouldn't gladly have him back. And I emailed John Williams saying the same thing.

Barry Ferguson was the big one you missed out of that.

I still wonder how Ferguson proved to be so poor. I was really excited when we signed him. He played well for rangers and scotland and was passionate for both in a kind of Steven Gerrard way. But he was never anything more than adequate for rovers. More baffling is that he then went on to be great for Rangers and Scotland immediately afterwards.

A complete aside LeChuck, but is your name anything to do with Monkey Island?

More baffling is that he then went on to be great for Rangers and Scotland immediately afterwards.

Not true, unfortunately. He's never again been as good as the player that originally left Ibrox.

Strange that

This is the same manager who CHOSE to sell Dunn and Duff and managed to buy, erm Bert (who took 3 years and a change of position to come good) permanent sicknote Reid,Jason Brown and Amoruso. Who didn't replace Duff for over 2 years. Who left us with a lead striker of Paul Dickov because of his @#/? behaviour. Who fell out with everyone in sight and who everyone apart from the clinically insane was delighted to get rid of for cash.

And he was taking us from whence he brought us.

And no, I wouldn't gladly have him back. And I emailed John Williams saying the same thing.

You are being a bit selective. He also bought Tugay, Freidal, Niell, Cole, Thompson, Hughes, Short, Stead, all of whom did good things (in some cases great things) for the club.

I don't deny he bought some turkeys but on balance his signign record was pretty good until the final year at Rovers.

You are being a bit selective. He also bought Tugay, Freidal, Niell, Cole, Thompson, Hughes, Short, Stead, all of whom did good things (in some cases great things) for the club.

I don't deny he bought some turkeys but on balance his signign record was pretty good until the final year at Rovers.

I was saying how he wasted the Duff money. Forgot Baby Ferguson and knew there was a keeper. Thought it was Brown- should have known better- Brown is actually ok.

I was saying how he wasted the Duff money. Forgot Baby Ferguson and knew there was a keeper. Thought it was Brown- should have known better- Brown is actually ok.

Apologies, didn't realise you meant the Duff money in particular. That was largely wasted, although Reid and Emerton have been decent enough (although I think we committed to buy Emerton before we lost Duff) - the main problem being Reid's horrendous injury record.

He did seem to lose his marbles when he had money to spend (Grabbi/Ferguson/Cole to an extent), but if you gave him a small amount he could do a very decent job (Tugay/Bradl/Neill/Hughes/Stead etc.).

I still wonder how Ferguson proved to be so poor. I was really excited when we signed him. He played well for rangers and scotland and was passionate for both in a kind of Steven Gerrard way. But he was never anything more than adequate for rovers. More baffling is that he then went on to be great for Rangers and Scotland immediately afterwards.

Obvious..... Looking a good player in a weak scottish prem league when playing for one of the big two against minnows every week is a wholly different ball game than looking good in the Prem whilst playing against world class stars.

I don't agree Gord. I was thinking about this more and I think it'd be fair to say Fergusons level dropped significantly after his knee injury and has never gone back up.

If he hadn't got that injury and we'd kept Souness, I think we'd have had wee Barry for a few more seasons before losing him to a bigger side in the Premiership rather than back to Glasgow.

I don't agree Gord. I was thinking about this more and I think it'd be fair to say Fergusons level dropped significantly after his knee injury and has never gone back up.

If he hadn't got that injury and we'd kept Souness, I think we'd have had wee Barry for a few more seasons before losing him to a bigger side in the Premiership rather than back to Glasgow.

But Ferguson was pretty @#/? for us before his injury. And imo the whole Rangers - Blackburn - Rangers move was worked out in advance and was only delayed by Ferguson's injury.

But Ferguson was pretty @#/? for us before his injury. And imo the whole Rangers - Blackburn - Rangers move was worked out in advance and was only delayed by Ferguson's injury.

My long standing opinion to a tee. I think he'd have gone back in the summer if he'd stayed fit. imo we were victims of a scam and one that I do not want to see being given the chance of being repeated by appointing Souness again. After some of the dealings that have gone on it's no wonder the Walker's want out is it?

He had a tough start and took a while to get used to the pace of the Premier League, but he was starting to look himself just before he got injured.

Not buying the conspiracy theories, Souness signed many Rangers players for other clubs, Barry was the only one that went back.

He had a tough start and took a while to get used to the pace of the Premier League, but he was starting to look himself just before he got injured.

Not buying the conspiracy theories, Souness signed many Rangers players for other clubs, Barry was the only one that went back.

I was well happy when he signed and he was starting to find his feet before the curse of the injury struck. I agree completely Souness, conspiracy theories sorry not for me, Ferguson would have come good if he had stayed and made a difference.

Archived