BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky - Not A Great Manager?

It would be interesting to see who would move in if Hughes was to go sometime this season. And where he would go next. He is still a good manager, but has a lot of distractions with the ruthless and rich nutters running this circus. His energies are probably diverted in fighting for the signings he wants, and the team is suffering.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with DB on this.

hughes interview for the weekend preview looked very solemn indeed, a downcast shadow of the man ho fronted Ewood Park.

Perhaps the challenge from Elano, the media hype and the meeting with the money men didnt go too well or worse than that, his ambitions didnt match those of the owners <_<

If City are to challenge the top 4 they dont need Warnock or RSC they need a Lampard, gerrard, Drogba and Torres, they need a Ronaldo, a Messi and a Buffon (or Buffoon) and they need a leader at the helm.

That leader is one JOSE MOURINHO and NOT Mark Hughes

The problem is that part, or even the main reason that Hughes was recruited by a financially floundering chairman, was to preside over a fire sale of City's more salable playing assets and then replace them by utilising his undoubted ability of unearthing cheaper talents by shopping in the bargain basement.

It must have come as a surprise to Shinawatrah when Hughes declined to act as auctioneer in chief by putting his foot down at the discovery that City were planning a virtual player clear-out to raise immediate funds in the summer.

Suddenly presented with undreamt of largesse with the arrival of the Abu Dhabis and their limitless financial resources, City ironically would have been much better off had they persevered with the man that until a month or so previously had been at the City helm; Sven Goran Erickson (SGE).

SGE would not be the man to steer a club tossed upon the tempest of the approaching financial storm and the potential attrition of a relegation battle. As he proved in Italy with Lazio and Fiorentina however, he knows how to spend big on top players, and just as importantly, he knows how to handle the inflated egos of the likes of Elano and Robinho.

That doesn't mean that he would have been the ideal City manager, but as the incumbent, had City stuck with him they would undoubtedly be in a far stronger position and playing more attractive football than they are now.

Further as a veteran and consummate survivor of the political machinations of the Italian boardroom, he would have had the sophistication and guile to handle the labyrinthine and hierarchical world of the royal sheikhs. In the courtly atmosphere of Near Eastern ritual, Erickson's Cicero would be held in much higher regard than Hughes' Ivanhoe.

I'll leave it to others to think of a more appropriate analogy, but comparing Hughes with SGE is a bit like comparing a car mechanic with a technician. Nothing at all wrong with a Skoda, but you would generally want a mechanic to fix one; whereas to run a Citroen or a Volkswagen, a technician might be more useful. It's horses for courses.

It's unfortunately looking less and less likely that Hughes will still be in charge for the Yuletide match versus City at Ewood, thus depriving most of us of the perfect Xmas scenario; namely:

"...Another City defeat inflicted by a resurgent Rovers sees City spiraling toward the bottom of the table. Hughes hears City have sacked him from a Sky reporter as he dejectedly makes his way out of Ewood, after Gary Cook (standing in for Sheikh Sulaiman and his 40 strong entourage who have failed as yet to re-emerge from the notorious MFR, which has conveniently been converted into a harem in keeping with the new style half-time entertainment offered at the likes of Anfield, Upton Park etc...in order to satisfy the proclivities of their respective new Arab owners) had blabbed to the media at half-time that Hughes didn't suit the new boutique approach to football at Eastlands..."

As TND might say; it's as obvious to a blind man on a galloping Arab steed that Jose Mourinho is destined to become the next manager at Eastlands.

Don't disagree with the thoughts, however Skoda and Volkswagen are actually in the same car group now, and Skodas use VW technology. If you'd paired Skoda and Volkswagen and suggested a mechanic for a citroen, you'd have been more accurate!!!

Further as a veteran and consummate survivor of the political machinations of the Italian boardroom, he would have had the sophistication and guile to handle the labyrinthine and hierarchical world of the royal sheikhs. In the courtly atmosphere of Near Eastern ritual, Erickson's Cicero would be held in much higher regard than Hughes' Ivanhoe.

... :lol: what a wonderfully lyrical and classically schooled turn of phrase. Made my Saturday morning :)

Oh, and I totally agree with your analysis too - Sparky has a limited (and uncomfortable) tenure at Eastlands now, despite the apparent comfort of wealthy backers. Good luck to him.

... :lol: what a wonderfully lyrical and classically schooled turn of phrase. Made my Saturday morning :)

Oh, and I totally agree with your analysis too - Sparky has a limited (and uncomfortable) tenure at Eastlands now, despite the apparent comfort of wealthy backers. Good luck to him.

While I agree Hughes may have a ltd future at Eastlands I don't agree with some of the rewriting of history that's going on.He was an absolutely brilliant manager for us.He did a fantastic job with nothing. I can't think of any other manager who would have come close.

That doesn't mean that he would have been the ideal City manager, but as the incumbent, had City stuck with him they would undoubtedly be in a far stronger position and playing more attractive football than they are now.

You had me until the more attractive football line! I watched England under SGE.

its funny how hughes comes back from abu dhabi, and the game after....robinho is captain. thats a bit of a joke. this surely shows hughes didnt make that decision. players like micah richards were playing who can easily lead a team, bit of a strange choice!

Not everyone is slagging off Hughes.

He said: “As soon as Mark Hughes came in you could tell that he meant business – and that he means to be here a long time. “He’s brought a lot of staff with him and it was immediately clear that he sees City as a long-term plan.

“I think he has been excellent for us. He’s a proper manager and the kind of boss I have always wanted to play under.

“He covers every aspect of training.”

True.But with respect,although I think Ireland has been brilliant for them so far ,he hardly carries as much sway with the owners probably.Just goes to show that even managers of Sparky standard are having a few teething problems at new clubs with players they didn't sign.

One thing you cannot really criticise is the quality of staff that Hughes has around him. All highly rated, fully qualified coaches.

Makes you think, why do we have so many injuries at the moment? Of course, could just be down to bad luck......

One thing you cannot really criticise is the quality of staff that Hughes has around him. All highly rated, fully qualified coaches.

Makes you think, why do we have so many injuries at the moment? Of course, could just be down to bad luck......

Ahh, Souness' old 'lady luck' problems.

Hughes has great staff, most qualified in the league I believe..

Few more non-results and Hughes might have to look elsewhere, regardless of what is said in the media

theres no need for people to have a go at hughes. he did a top job for us. he worked well with jw, 'quality at the right price'

for the size of the club/town/support, jw does a good job. id have hughes and his staff back straight away.

Archived