BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky - Not A Great Manager?

I dunno, i keep telling myself that, and then i get reminded of what Harry said and then what happened ie: Pompey-Soton-Pompey etc...

Stranger things have happened thats all im saying... He has pretty much failed at a bigger club, and might feel he needs more time at a 'smaller' club...

Yes but he'd probably be able to choose one with a bit more money than he'd have with us and a lot more kudos.

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if we did get relegated, Ince would be the man to get us back into the Premiership. He has already proven he can get teams promoted. I would imagine John Williams would be thinking along the same lines also.

I don't think getting relegated would be that terrible (financially), I think we would be much better prepared than the last time and I would expect us to come straight back up.

I don't believe for a second we will get relegated though

I can't believe such a dangerous line of thinking is being put forward. We are struggling with gates and finances in the Premiership. The Championship contains a large number of clubs that can attract bigger gates and who already have more money than ourselves. The world has moved on since we were last relegated and if we were to go down we would lose the likes of Robinson, Santa Cruz, Nelsen, Zurab, Emerton and the rest very quickly. International players aren't going to hang around and those that do will be on wages that we wouldn't be able to sustain in the Championship.

The only future for the Rovers is in the Premiership. If we go down I would predict another lengthy period out of the top flight - perhaps on a par with the quarter of a century between relegation in 65-66 and promotion in 91-92.

Surprised at Revidge's statement because along with other older members he's long enough in the tooth to see that this Rovers team is not good enough to stay in the Premier League. Younger members should wake up and smell the coffee or whatever substance they are taking these days.

Perm 3 from us, Stoke, WBA, Bolton and Fulham to go down - and would you bank on us to beat any of those teams ?

Now this IS ultra negative Jim, and if anyone wants to charge me with that - I'll plead guilty. But, over the years, Rovers haven't been very good at battling their way OUT of relegation difficulties. Some clubs [like Coventry for instance] used to beat the dreaded drop virtually every year, after looking dead and buried, for seemingly 30 years. Rovers always seemed to go down at the slightest threat. Great team of the sixties, top of the first division in '64, went down '66. Even more recently when we left the top flight with players like Sutton in the team, we didn't take much to fall from grace. Same kind of things happenning around the 70's/80's as well. Dropped like a bag of ****.

It just makes you wary of how things can go wrong very, very quickly.

Sorry people. :rolleyes:

Agree

Decisiveness does not seem to be in Williams' nature. No-one will want Paul Ince, unfortunately (at least no-one sane, and Ashley has now gone from Newk)

At last Jan, you and Jim Mk2 have found each other; kindred spirits :wub:

You're commenting on the sanity of others when you're even thinking about Hughes coming back? :o

I think if we did get relegated, Ince would be the man to get us back into the Premiership. He has already proven he can get teams promoted. I would imagine John Williams would be thinking along the same lines also.

I don't think getting relegated would be that terrible (financially), I think we would be much better prepared than the last time and I would expect us to come straight back up.

I don't believe for a second we will get relegated though

Is there a mboard gold award for stupid posts? If so you've just walked it with that one bucky.

I don't want to get relegated, far from it.

But I would expect that Paul Ince would be the type of manager needed to get us out of it.

That is all I was saying.

We won't get relegated, if we did it would be bad, but I would expect us to bounce straight back unlike last time.

But I would expect that Paul Ince would be the type of manager needed to get us out of it.

We won't get relegated, if we did it would be bad, but I would expect us to bounce straight back unlike last time.

All our good players would leave.

We only came up last time so quickly thanks to the likes of Duff and Dunn. We have no exciting prospects like that this time round.

Our crowds, already sub 20,000 now, would drop to sub 15,000.

There's more clubs with money in the Championship these days.

Souness was still a better manager than Ince is now, maybe this will change with time but overall he did a decent job with us.

If we went down, we would really, really struggle to make it back.

Our bank balance would be far healthier than the majority of teams in the Championship. We would also get parachute payments.

It is not a fact that our crowds would drop to 15,000.

What level of crowd do you think we would get if relegated?

Well 4 parts fact, 1 part opinion, I would say its more likely we stay up but it's an indicator as to the state of affairs that we're even having this discussion.

I'd question your definition of 'facts'. I'd say they were judgements rather than being based on empirical evidence.

Don't worry, it's not a personal dig - loads on here suffer from the misintepretation :P

Lets just take a quick look at some stadium comparisons shall we:

Barnsley: Max Attendence: 23,009 - Last Attendence: 19,002

Birmingham: Max Attendence: 30,009 - Last Attendence: 17,215

Bristol City: Max Attendence: 21,497 - Last Attendence: 18,296

Cardiff: Max Attendence: 22,008 - Last Attendence: 17,734

Charlton Athletic: Max Attendence: 27,111 - Last Attendence: 21,527

Coventry: Max Attendence: 32,609 - Last Attendence: 21,527

Derby County: Max Attendence: 33,010 - Last Attendence: 33,597

Ipswich Town: Max Attendence: 30,311 - Last Attendence: 20,966

Norwich: Max Attendence: 26,034 - Last Attendence: 23,225

Nottingham Forrest: Max Attendence: 30,602 - Last Attendence: 21,415

Reading: Max Attendence: 24,224 - Last Attendence: 18,724

Sheffield United: Max Attendence: 39,814 - Last Attendence: 20,872

Wolves: Max Attendence: 23,711 - Last Attendence: 28,525

Oh and what did we get against Chelsea?!

Blackburn Rovers: Max Attendence: 31,367 - Last Attendence: 20,670

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking our attendences would drop if we dropped a league, we have no sugar daddy anymore. We would struggle to be promoted after our played have jumped ship!

Lets just take a quick look at some stadium comparisons shall we:

Barnsley: Max Attendence: 23,009 - Last Attendence: 19,002

Birmingham: Max Attendence: 30,009 - Last Attendence: 17,215

Bristol City: Max Attendence: 21,497 - Last Attendence: 18,296

Cardiff: Max Attendence: 22,008 - Last Attendence: 17,734

Charlton Athletic: Max Attendence: 27,111 - Last Attendence: 21,527

Coventry: Max Attendence: 32,609 - Last Attendence: 21,527

Derby County: Max Attendence: 33,010 - Last Attendence: 33,597

Ipswich Town: Max Attendence: 30,311 - Last Attendence: 20,966

Norwich: Max Attendence: 26,034 - Last Attendence: 23,225

Nottingham Forrest: Max Attendence: 30,602 - Last Attendence: 21,415

Reading: Max Attendence: 24,224 - Last Attendence: 18,724

Sheffield United: Max Attendence: 39,814 - Last Attendence: 20,872

Wolves: Max Attendence: 23,711 - Last Attendence: 28,525

Oh and what did we get against Chelsea?!

Blackburn Rovers: Max Attendence: 31,367 - Last Attendence: 20,670

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking our attendences would drop if we dropped a league, we have no sugar daddy anymore. We would struggle to be promoted after our played have jumped ship!

wow wolves last game must of been jam packed on those figures!! they should of stopped letting people in when it was full :lol:

and what has all this got to do with sparky's abilty as a manager? am i in the wrong thread :o

You're assuming that Paul Ince will take us down first though, does he have that in his locker?

Now this IS ultra negative Jim, and if anyone wants to charge me with that - I'll plead guilty. But, over the years, Rovers haven't been very good at battling their way OUT of relegation difficulties.....

I don't know den, I've been supporting Rovers for 27 years and we've only been relegated once. That's once too many of course but never the less, not a bad record at all I'd say and there have been a few scraps in that time at the wrong end of the table.

Some of the papers this morning suggesting Mourinho could be in line to replace Hughes.

Hughes has also received the dreaded vote of confidence according to some of the others.

Talk Sh**e saying that City want to offer him £15m a year. It's a tough decision.

Our bank balance would be far healthier than the majority of teams in the Championship. We would also get parachute payments.

It is not a fact that our crowds would drop to 15,000.

It's not a fact that our bank balance would be far healthier than the majority of teams in the Championship. Look at all the clubs who had dropped down with the parachute payment - Leeds and Leicester in the First Division, Coventry, Southampton, Crystal Palace, Watford, Charlton, Norwich and so on who are average to struggling in the Championship. Do you really believe that we could fund the running of two major training centres at Brockhall, pay for the upkeep of Ewood Park and pay the playing staff at their present wages on gates of between 12,000 to 15,000? When we went down in 1999 our crowds were far healthier during that relegation campaign than they are now and attendances dropped significantly when we were relegated. I believe that our average gate in 1998-99 was 25,000 yet the following season, after relegation, it dropped to 16,000. A fall of 9,000 on our present gates would take us to 12,000 if we are lucky!

The last time we went down, Jack Walker was continuing to pump money into the club now we have to stand on our own two feet. In the Premiership we can survive in the Championship we would struggle. The game has moved on since 1999 when we were last relegated. I fear if we went down again we would be looking at another long exile from the top flight like that between 66 and 92.

That's not the way your original post came over.

Sounds like rather a blithe statement: "I would expect us to bounce straight back ..." - the Championship is very competitive and we are just another team.

Ince doesn't have any experience at Championship level, there's no way of telling how he'd do at it.

Go back to smoking your bananas.

Archived