BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vince Grella Signs

JAL, if defensive midfielder isn't a priority then you are suggesting Mokoena is good enough to play that position on a weekly basis? Or Vogel is, but surely you haven;t had time to make a balanced assessment on him?

I really don't see where you are coming from. it's clearly a huge priority, as we haven;t had a DM since Savage, who IMO was past it for his last 6 months anyway.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm made up with this signing, he's proven, he's an international, has the right attitude & work ethic, can and will put his foot in but isn't afraid to mix it up front when the chance presents itself.

Thanks Christ we have made progress, so far, several bits of good news as far as I am concerned:

Santa's signed on & staying, and all the stupid smoke signals have stopped !!

Warnocks staying & We're looking at cover for him, something we badly need, especially as SW puts himself about a bit, injury & suspension is inevitable and our cover, clearly, isn't up to it!

We've got a proper midfielder in ! Get in!

We get to see our prospects in action tonight (Including Villaneauva) which I am genuinely looking forward to (Opportunities for many tonight I think)

Fowler hasn't signed and is sulking (Jog on please Mr Fowler)

We haven't knee jerked on someone like Jailbait at Liverfool on someone who doesn't want to play for us and we're being ripped off over! 5-6M for a one game a season wonder is a urine extraction!

We're still being linked with RM / RW's

.... I'd even let Mr Ince have Andrews based on the above.

JAL, if defensive midfielder isn't a priority then you are suggesting Mokoena is good enough to play that position on a weekly basis? Or Vogel is, but surely you haven;t had time to make a balanced assessment on him?

I really don't see where you are coming from. it's clearly a huge priority, as we haven;t had a DM since Savage, who IMO was past it for his last 6 months anyway.

For me the strength of Rovers attacking midfield is weak...very weak, everyone harps on about Dunny being the creative drive, Dunny cant hack it, his body struggles to be effective for a full ninety minutes - this point nobody seems to understand I might aswell talk to the wall.

Thats one weakness, whose our next attacking strength MGP, good, bad, and indifferent last season whats going to improve on that we'll have to wait and see. Whose next Reid, Emmo,Tugay?

Its quality allround midfielders we need, my point is, limiting this to just a defence minded midfileder is not sufficient enough for Blackburn Rovers to progress we need lads who are all singing all dancing midfielders that strengthen the team.

To me we've signed a ball buster and a ballerina.

Seems well balanced to me.

I assume Villenueva has been signed to end the creativity problem, and Grella the 'leaky leaky' problem.

Now if we can get a RM, t'jobs a goodun.

I assume Villenueva has been signed to end the creativity problem, and Grella the 'leaky leaky' problem.

Really hope your right and they turn out to be ideal to push Blackburn Rovers on !

We dont know whether Carlos will be a success or not but he is on loan.

He is also an attacking midfield player of the highest order and I have not been this excited by any signing that we have previously made!

Well put Imy, oh and thanks for doing it in Quote so I can't copy it!!!

My point was to draw some osrt of distinquishment between what people are saying. Terminology if you like I do believe its causing part of the dispute.

Holding/Sitting midfielder

Two main types:

Typical - Sweeps in front of the centre backs, mops up if you like wins ball and gives it simple.

Italian - as above but when oppurtunity arises carries ball forward, Modern Liberio.

Postioned between defensive and midfield lines, never gets forward.

Central midfielder

Not arguing TBH you sum it up well. you can split down defensive minded, attacking minded box to box, but essentially they are all central midfield players.

You couls break it down further but I won't.

Hole player

Plays in between midfield and attack, hence in the hole.

My annoyance came because someone called barry a holding midfielder, he is nothing of the sort. he may play a defensive role when required but he is a central midfielder. As are the likes of Keane, Petit who where mentioned before.

Well we can add Keith Andrews to the list now as well. Never thought I'd say this but I'm beginning to see Jal's point....

so if Dunn is fit he will play..... but alongside who? Andrews, Grella, Mokeana, Reid, Vogel... ? Don't forget Tugay of course, and Emerton who can play there.

Looks like without Dunn we will play with 2 ball winners and Pedersen and Villaneuva supporting the front 2. I still think Rocky likes having a striker alongside him and that will keep Roberts in the team and leave us with only 4 for the middle.

We do appear to be somewhat weighted with "workhorse" style players in the middle now.

If you saw Carlos you would see that Grella and Carlos can work in midfield, I personally think that we will play a different formation:

Robinson

Simpson Nelsen Samba Warnock

Grella

New midfielder Dunn Carlos Pedersen

RSC

If you saw Carlos you would see that Grella and Carlos can work in midfield, I personally think that we will play a different formation:

Robinson

Simpson Nelsen Samba Warnock

Grella

New midfielder Dunn Carlos Pedersen

RSC

i bloody hope not

Couldn't agree more. CV and VG are holes that needed filling and have been fixed. That RM will be the breaking point for us.

Agreed. However, I do felt that emerton would be a good person to slot into RM position. He is a very impressive right attacking mid before he was in blackburn. I do felt that we need a better right fullback to support our rm...

Agreed. However, I do felt that emerton would be a good person to slot into RM position. He is a very impressive right attacking mid before he was in blackburn. I do felt that we need a better right fullback to support our rm...

That's something I've always felt about Bert. Never considered him a winger, more of a "right channel" man. He's looked impressive in that position internationally. I know it's some time ago, but the goal he scored against Scotland ( OK, I know, it's only Scotland) showed how good he was.

Ince's secret target team - two box to box midfielders (one sits, one goes) + attacking midfield/second striker;

Robinson

Warnock-Samba-Nelson-Andre Oj

Pederson - Grella - Carlos V - Andrews - Emerton

Santa Cruz

Hmm. Sort of see what you mean, but you have you wingers and full backs on the wrong side!

For the life of me I cannot see how Andrews is going to immediately walk into the team. Or how Roberts is going to be dropped from it!

Andrews for me will probably used as the "Oh look Dunny is knackered" sub.

Archived