BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vince Grella Signs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh for the love of buggary, if there were one game we needed an experienced holding player this was it. Please don't play Mokoena against Arsenal, he'll probably get sent off after an hour of them destroying us. Andrews looked good at West Ham, but he isn't ready for Arsenal yet, same with Carlos.

Vincenzo Grella is likely to miss out on the Uzbekistan match.

"Vincenzo has had an MRI scan and it doesn't look good," Verbeek said.

"It is going to be very difficult for him to be ready for Wednesday."

Grella suffered an injury to his calf in training and was on crutches on Friday.

Grella injured

Vincenzo Grella is likely to miss out on the Uzbekistan match.

"Vincenzo has had an MRI scan and it doesn't look good," Verbeek said.

"It is going to be very difficult for him to be ready for Wednesday."

Grella suffered an injury to his calf in training and was on crutches on Friday.

Grella injured

Ain't verbeek sum character from the muppets?

So we know that Emerton can do a good job in defensive midfield.

So point of £4 million Grella was.....? Unless he's a vast improvement on Emo, I don't see why we signed him for so much.

Of course, I'm prepared to give Grella time to find his feet. However, I really don't see where Emerton will be playing when Grella comes back because RW is not his spot. And Simpson and Ooijer seem to be the preferred options at RB.

I think it gives us more options when everyone is healthy. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 3-5-2 with Emerton as a wing back, which was his position before he came to Rovers. Not sure that will be heavily used, but wouldn't be surprised to see it tried at some point and under the right matchup.

So we know that Emerton can do a good job in defensive midfield.

So point of £4 million Grella was.....? Unless he's a vast improvement on Emo, I don't see why we signed him for so much.

Of course, I'm prepared to give Grella time to find his feet. However, I really don't see where Emerton will be playing when Grella comes back because RW is not his spot. And Simpson and Ooijer seem to be the preferred options at RB.

Assuming Grella's a good defensive midfielder, I'd partner him with Emerton in the middle. Let Vince sit and hold and allow Emerton to run from box to box - he's creative enough to do a job there.

Emerton, creative....?! Oxymoron.

We all know that the curling shot that hit the post against Fulham is the sort of thing that Emerton has the technique to do. Just like that memorable free kick he scored against Brazil for Australia.

However, his laggardly speed of thought denies him from being creative. Defensive midfield or right back or squad role. I don't see Emerton doing any other role anywhere near consistently well.

Emerton, creative....?! Oxymoron.

We all know that the curling shot that hit the post against Fulham is the sort of thing that Emerton has the technique to do. Just like that memorable free kick he scored against Brazil for Australia.

However, his laggardly speed of thought denies him from being creative. Defensive midfield or right back or squad role. I don't see Emerton doing any other role anywhere near consistently well.

Creative in the sense that he's uber fit, quick, can run with the ball (as long as you're not asking him to drop his shoulder, push it past a fullback and whip in a cross from the touchline) and can pick a pass. With the dearth of options Rovers have in the centre I'd say he's the best. I'm not asking him to single handedly tear a defence apart with threaded through balls ala Tugay (who's lost his legs, before you suggest him as an option) - merely to be the engine for an attacking unit (with Santa Cruz, Treacy, Roberts, Derbyshire, Pedersen et al providing him with options).

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, what the hell has happened to our main summer signing Grella?

45 minutes six weeks ago on August 30th against West Ham in which he barely touched the ball and we haven't seen hide nor hair of him since.

A bit of fluid on the calf shouldn't be that serious should it?

Or does he have an injury more serious than first thought? :huh:

Anyone heard anything recent on his condition?

Archived