BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vince Grella Signs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not as impressive as against Middlesbrough. He looked off the pace and his passing was poor. I'm not convinced that he was fully fit but at the moment we are thin on the ground with Mokoena and Vogel clearly out of favour and injuries to other key players. Hopefully, he'll be better on Saturday.

To be quite honest, I can't see him having any problems at all on Saturday.

Sunday might be a little more difficult as that's the day we play Chelsea.

He was being facetious

Problem is that there are so many on here who seem to think that it is actually that easy to find better players than we have at a price we can afford who will settle straight into life here in the Northwest and into the premiership that I'm never sure whether the person I'm replying to is actually being serious. Obviously smilies are a clue but even then you can't always tell! And since I know none of you personally, it's even harder.

I can only go on what I am told, if he is wrong (and I sincerely hope so) then I stand corrected.

:o

He is - and hope you enjoy telling him. Perhaps he's less than objective, or has an axe to grind, who knows?

Point 1 - there was no 'destruction of the scouting network', especially not attributable to Ince (which I'm guessing is what he was alluding to).

Point 2 - Mark Hughes took a lot more away from the club on leaving than just the Taffia, and a reserve manager, especially with regard to the Chief Scout, other scouts, records, systems, etc. Other than JW knowing which players had been approached as 'active' targets, i.e. ones he'd been tasked to acquire, Ince had no record of any players Hughes may have been speculating/watching/scouting.

Point 3 - If the same thing happened in the commercial sector, there'd be allsorts of allegations of industrial espionage no doubt.

Here endeth the lesson ^_^

Our youth & reserves couldnt get much worse so im sure its for the better.

I'm surprised you saying that, you're normally quite positive; perhaps it's just the one 8-0 reverse you're alluding to?

If we can get Grella playing every week, we will have a very good player on our hands, it's just a shame he has picked up a couple of injurys since he has joined Rovers. I think the Grella and Andrews partnership in midfield could be a very good one for Rovers.

I'm surprised you saying that, you're normally quite positive; perhaps it's just the one 8-0 reverse you're alluding to?

Im very positive but our youth & reserves have been poor for a couple of years now. Our U-18's always seem to do well but none of them ever seem to make the step up really. Where as the likes of City seem to have plenty who have gone through the ranks - Evans, Richards, Sturridge, Hart, SWP (Now all around the 1st team too). Its time we started getting some real quality coming through that either make it into our side or get sold on for a tidy price & a big sell-on clause.

He was absolutely shocking yesterday - not just off the pace, he looked like he could give a monkey's. I was relieved to see the Axe coming on for him!

I think the main 2 problems we have at the moment is the team isnt playing at all well as a whole, which was one of the strengths we had over the last few seasons.

Grella was quite obviously not match fit today, and shouldnt have been played.

I am starting to wonder whether maybe the reason we are having to deal with so many injuries at the moment is because Ince might be rushing unfit players back into the team. We have seen this with Grella, Cruz and Robinson etc...

Signings need to be made in January if we want to reach midtable though!

I think the main 2 problems we have at the moment is the team isnt playing at all well as a whole, which was one of the strengths we had over the last few seasons.

Grella was quite obviously not match fit today, and shouldnt have been played.

I am starting to wonder whether maybe the reason we are having to deal with so many injuries at the moment is because Ince might be rushing unfit players back into the team. We have seen this with Grella, Cruz and Robinson etc...

Signings need to be made in January if we want to reach midtable though!

I suspect with Grella he might be the one rushing back after reading his interview last week. The medical staff need to be strong with him and possibly the manager and give him the adeqaute time to recover.

Grella out for four weeks.

Sounds as though he was rushed back too soon.

Are the medical staff scared of this guy?

This is the second player we've risked by playing too early; Robbo was a doubt for the Everton cup game & they chanced him - look what happened.

What worries me most isn't that we played him when unfit against West Ham, but we've seemingly made the same mistake again? With hindsight he's probably carried this injury since we signed him. Let's write him off for longer than the worse case scenario and tell the Witch Doctor Batty and Mr Ince he's got a note from his Mum.

Good news for the Axe though. Bet Judgey's hoping Andrews doesn't get fit too quickly!

So where the bl**dy hell is Vogel then? The guy was nothing special but gave us better shape and dicipline in midfield and definitely contributed to our solid finish to the season (apart from the last game of course). He also suited playing with Emerton so I reckon he could do a decent job with Warnock.

Okay. Now this is officialy pathetic. Either he's the most injury prone player ever or we've been rushing him back too soon every time. It is a little strange that it keeps happening with Vince and Roque who are obviously seen as two big players in our team.

Looks like it's Andrews and one from Moko/Tugay/Warnock for the forseeable future then seeing as Vogel must've ran off with Ince's missus.

I know Warnock's been playing extremely well there, but if we're honest he wouldn't still be there if we had any other options.

Well this si the first thing that has genuinely ###### me off about the Ince regime. Not the first time he rushed players back - Robinson, Reid, Roque, Grella and I think Dunn is in line with the same treatment as he is not going to get an op.

Silver lining is that Mokoena actually looked good against Chelsea - although that could be because they did not pressurise him when we had the ball. We shall see.

Where are we going with this midfield? Most likely for me at the moment is 451 with:

Pedersen-----Warnock------Andrews-------Carlos

----------------------------Mokoena

Physical enough granted but not exactly chocabloc full of creative talent.... Vogel would add a little more deeplying quality but he needs someone physical to play alongside and to be frank the above set up would give us more options going forward?

But the medical staff are still exactly the same?

i.e. Physio Dave Fevre and club doctor Phil Batty.

Well, it sounds as if one of three things happened - either Ince's judgement was wrong, or the physio staff gave Ince bad advice, or [most likely in my opinion] Grella himself was too eager.

Well, it sounds as if one of three things happened - either Ince's judgement was wrong, or the physio staff gave Ince bad advice, or [most likely in my opinion] Grella himself was too eager.

I think it is the last option, PI infered it was the case before we played against Chelsea.

The news that Grella is now out for four weeks really does beg questions about the decision to play him on Sunday instead of Mokoena or Vogel. Mokoena played very well in the opening two games of the season and has since been ignored while the whole Vogel saga remains a mystery. The fact that the manager refuses to use a player like Vogel - who is receiving a wage from the club - is becoming a joke. He can't continue to bleat about being down to the bare bones if he is prepared to leave out a player with 90 odd international caps and a who can count Grasshoppers, PSV, AC Milan and Real Betis as former employers.

As one who believes that Ince should be given more time to estabish himself at the club I really do find this decision disappointing. This is a return to the worst of the Souness days when players who the manager fell out with were ignored. As one who wants Ince to be successful at this club I think his treatment of Vogel and Mokoena is extremely poor and brings little credit on him. Our injury situation means that the manager should use all the resources available to him for the sake of the club.

Surely the final decision is down to the medical staff as to whether a player is fit enough to play.

If Ince then goes against that advice it's a different matter but I can't see that happening too often in practice.

Archived