BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vince Grella Signs

It weren't £4 million. I am pretty sure that I read a direct Ince quote stating that it was 4 million euros. (Perhaps, still too much).

Sadly, in the last window, before the financial problems started hitting clubs like Pompey and West Ham, 4 millions Euros was actually pretty cheap for a top flight player. With the new TV deal came higher prices.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think it is as much about how you use a player as what he has in terms of talent. I don't expect Vince to move mountains, but what I do expect is for him to tie together our midfield. He is a defensive player with decent technique who will sit in front of the back four and retain the ball. A water carrier if you will. I do not expect him to be Mascherano and spray defence splitting passes, he just needs to be physical and be tidy on the ball, and keep the balance of the side.

The benefit for this in us is that Dunn can get further forward and support the strikers, and the fullbacks can push on knowing that we have a capable man shielding our defence. It is a massive improvement over what we have provided so far this season.

Problem is that he seems termnally unfit which is deeply worrying.

Well I think it is as much about how you use a player as what he has in terms of talent. I don't expect Vince to move mountains, but what I do expect is for him to tie together our midfield. He is a defensive player with decent technique who will sit in front of the back four and retain the ball. A water carrier if you will. I do not expect him to be Mascherano and spray defence splitting passes, he just needs to be physical and be tidy on the ball, and keep the balance of the side.

The benefit for this in us is that Dunn can get further forward and support the strikers, and the fullbacks can push on knowing that we have a capable man shielding our defence. It is a massive improvement over what we have provided so far this season.

Who's terminally unfit Dunn or Grella ?

OK, seeing as we have passed on organising Juventus' midwinter training camp in Malta next month, I can post this now.

I rang one of the guys at Juve to ask about Grella when we signed him.

Imagine somebody from Udine (say) ringing you to say that Udinese had just signed Akinbiyi from the dingles for £2m. I think you get a sense of what his reaction was like!

Suffice to say that when he'd regained his composure the response was:

- no club with European ambitions should even have Grella on their radar

- and we had overpaid by Millions.

OK, seeing as we have passed on organising Juventus' midwinter training camp in Malta next month, I can post this now.

I rang one of the guys at Juve to ask about Grella when we signed him.

Imagine somebody from Udine (say) ringing you to say that Udinese had just signed Akinbiyi from the dingles for £2m. I think you get a sense of what his reaction was like!

Suffice to say that when he'd regained his composure the response was:

- no club with European ambitions should even have Grella on their radar

- and we had overpaid by Millions.

What rubbish.

At one point, he was on AC Milan's shopping list. Obviously, he wasn't good enough to get a spot there...no shame there.

He captained a side in Seria A for two seasons, and Guus Hiddink placed great faith in him during the last world cup.

Comparing him to a Dingle player is...quite frankly... stupid.

However, we may have paid too much for him.

What rubbish.

At one point, he was on AC Milan's shopping list. Obviously, he wasn't good enough to get a spot there...no shame there.

Didn't Milan sign Javi Moreno for millions upon millions?

I think Grella will be a useful player if he ever gets out on the pitch. But I am inclined to think that we overpaid.

I'll judge him once he makes it on the pitch. I've heard enough he's a great player from our club this season from now on I'll be judging on what I see not what I read.

PS I've heard mixed opinions on him from Italy, however was it not Juventus's manager Ranieri who had him as captain at Parma? but in the same breath he was the man who released him.

Lets see what he does when fit.

What rubbish.

He captained a side in Seria A for two seasons, and Guus Hiddink placed great faith in him during the last world cup.

Comparing him to a Dingle player is...quite frankly... stupid.

However, we may have paid too much for him.

Spot on, granted I didn't see him when he played for Carlton SC which is probably what pg did.

I think this assessment of his ability is pretty close to what he's about;

And anynoe thinking he can do more than that will be sadly disappointed.

Do not think any of us have seen enough of him in a Rovers shirt to pass judgement yet.

Indeed. I've only seen Grella v Boro and I was very impressed so I will have to wait to judge him. :rover: BUT just a couple of appearences in half a season is a big concern. <_<

So 2 bloody great big IF'S.......... If we can keep him fit and if he plays like he did v Boro then given the style Allardyce adopted at Bolton he could become our Campo..... But I'm not holding my breath.

• 2 weeks later...
No, fair enough, you always seem to be right on things, so you can judge him whenever you want!

Agreed.

He also had the assist against WHAM when he was on the pitch for 45 minutes.

I think if Vince keeps himself fit for the rest of the season he will be a very valuable player in our relegation battle.

He seems tidy, good vision and nice passing both short and lenghty. He also knows how to tackle.

• 1 month later...

Word in the the local papers back here in Oz, is that Vin Grella limped off the pitch last night, after 25 minutes of training with the international squad for the WC qualifier with Japan tonight.

Is there an award for most injured Prem team...?

Word in the the local papers back here in Oz, is that Vin Grella limped off the pitch last night, after 25 minutes of training with the international squad for the WC qualifier with Japan tonight.

Is there an award for most injured Prem team...?

If that's true then he certainly has a good shout at most injured player!

Well done Vince!

i'm sure Reidy would be trying to wrestle that accolade from him.

I hope it's not bad and just precautionary.... our center midfield needs some stability, even if we cant change the rest of the issues (pace, skill, age....)

Archived