BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vince Grella Signs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the same about Vogel, nice and steady, neat and tidy but never gonna pull any trees up. Not good enough defensively to play in front of the back four and not penetrative enough going forward to play the attacking midfielder role Another spear carrier when we need match winners. Grella however did impress me on Saturday. Going off one game he's got a good work ethic, get's stuck in, gets about the pitch and has a decent range of passes. Ince's best signing so far for me.

Did we really need to pay £4m+ for a holding midfielder? We have Mokoena if we wanna kick chunks out of the opposition, or even Emerton for a more technically gifted option. I can't help thinking that money might have been better invested elsewhere, either towards an attacking midfielder or towards a right winger.

Did we really need to pay £4m+ for a holding midfielder? We have Mokoena if we wanna kick chunks out of the opposition, or even Emerton for a more technically gifted option. I can't help thinking that money might have been better invested elsewhere, either towards an attacking midfielder or towards a right winger.

After Sav went we where weak there Moko is not good enough, Emerton will soon have played everywhere for the club. We needed someone who could read the game, tackle and who could play. Grella was a must have, last year how many times where are back four left exposed by midfield?

A holding midfielder was imperative and we got one who looks like he could fit the bill.

I'd say an attacking midfielder was something we've needed more than a holding midfielder. We need someone who can bomb forward and pull something out of nothing. A younger and healthier version of David Dunn. :P

How did Grella play on saturday after the rave reviews the other week?

Not as impressive as against Middlesbrough. He looked off the pace and his passing was poor. I'm not convinced that he was fully fit but at the moment we are thin on the ground with Mokoena and Vogel clearly out of favour and injuries to other key players. Hopefully, he'll be better on Saturday.

We shouldn't really be spending anywhere near that amount of money on any 29 year old. We can only afford to spend money on players we have a good chance of seeing a return on. We'll never get anything like £4 million for Grella when he leaves, unless he goes this summer.

Villanueva is more a second-striker, rather than an attacking midfielder who's gonna cover up box-to-box. He can sit up-front and pull players out of position for the front-man. Hasn't he been played out wide anyway??

We shouldn't really be spending anywhere near that amount of money on any 29 year old. We can only afford to spend money on players we have a good chance of seeing a return on. We'll never get anything like £4 million for Grella when he leaves, unless he goes this summer.

I think I read a quote from Ince saying it was 4 million euros.

Villanueva is more a second-striker, rather than an attacking midfielder who's gonna cover up box-to-box. He can sit up-front and pull players out of position for the front-man. Hasn't he been played out wide anyway??

3 roles so far in the hole, attacking midfield and left wing. I'm not sure Rovers budget stretches to the type of player you want, sounds expensive.

3 roles so far in the hole, attacking midfield and left wing. I'm not sure Rovers budget stretches to the type of player you want, sounds expensive.

Yeah, not like Santa Cruz or David Bentley were within our budget. :rolleyes: You just need an eye for a bargain.

Yeah, not like Santa Cruz or David Bentley were within our budget. :rolleyes: You just need an eye for a bargain.

There are millions of world class players available for a song.

Actually something Im quite concerned about it what appears to be the destruction of the scouting network the club had in place according to someone I know who scouts for a Premier League club.

Actually something Im quite concerned about it what appears to be the destruction of the scouting network the club had in place according to someone I know who scouts for a Premier League club.

Destruction is a bit strong, and dare I suggest misinformed? Stolen would be more apt ;)

Our youth & reserves couldnt get much worse so im sure its for the better.

Apart from the City result, the Academy have played some excellent football this season. The Reserves have also been playing some super football - the performance at Hull last week was great to watch. We have some very promising young players at the moment - the best we have had for some time - and hopefully one or two will make the senior team before the end of the season.

contradiction in terms surely. Millions of worldclass players there aren't since the definition of world class has to be the top 3 or 4 in their position in the world which would mean about 20 max midfielders who could really be described as world class.

contradiction in terms surely. Millions of worldclass players there aren't since the definition of world class has to be the top 3 or 4 in their position in the world which would mean about 20 max midfielders who could really be described as world class.

He was being facetious

Archived