BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gordon Brown

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<!--quoteo(post=783822:date=Jul 2 2009, 18:46 :name=philipl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (philipl @ Jul 2 2009, 18:46 ) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=783822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5723185/George-Osborne-to-be-investigated-over-expenses.html" target="_blank">Back to expenses and Tory Shadow Chancellor George Osbourne is deep in it.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

George Osborne (no u) like most Tories always appears rather too pleased with himself.

This inquiry into his financial misconduct will wipe the smirk off his smug, privileged face.

It's hang em out to dry time again this week and even ol Gordy is in the frame for dipping his sticky fingers into the public purse too. Should be funny.

• 2 weeks later...

The BBC had to backtrack today after publishing an article last night saying that data from the ONS (Office for National Statistics) was going to show that GDP had grown and that Britain was officially out of the recession.

Today they published the figures and it showed that GDP has contracted rather than show signs of positive growth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8321970.stm

The UK economy unexpectedly contracted by 0.4% between July and September, according to official figures, meaning the country is still in recession.

It is the first time UK gross domestic product (GDP) has contracted for six consecutive quarters, since quarterly figures were first recorded in 1955.

_46596984_gdp_growth_466_bodge_-0.4.gif

Sky News also are covering the story, with an interesting quote by James Knightley, an analyst at ING:

"UK third quarter GDP is awful with no positive news within the report.

"More worrying from sterling's perspective is the fact that the UK may be the only major economy to have contracted in Q3."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Britain-Stuck-In-Longest-Recession-In-History-As-Economy-Shrinks-Again-In-Third-Quarter-Of-2009/Article/200910415412907?lpos=Business_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15412907_Britain_Stuck_In_Longest_Recession_In_History_As_Economy_Shrinks_Again_In_Third_Quarter_Of_2009

Best placed position to ride out this recession Brown says?

Looks like Darling's 3.5% growth prediction in 2010 is going to be way off the mark as well...

No politician has left the presentation of economic data totally untouched since Wilson lost the 1970 General Election.

In those days the "Balance of Payments" was the number one economic indicator. On the eve of the Election after a series of improving results the balance of payments took a decisive turn for the worse and Heath very unexpectedly won.

Turned out the then state-owned BOAC had just bought four Boeing 747 Jumbo jets and that tipped the numbers and probably the election!

Best placed position to ride out this recession Brown says?

I think you'll find we "officially" entered recession later than France and Germany if one uses the generally recognised indicators of the number of quarters of negative growth - three I think. It's not therefore surprising if the UK comes out of recession after these countries given each followed similar routes to clinmb out of trouble.

As for Datrling's suggestion of the 3.5% growth in 2010 when did he say that? Surely it can't have been recently??

As for Datrling's suggestion of the 3.5% growth in 2010 when did he say that? Surely it can't have been recently??

If memory serves it was in his legendary Budget. He got everything else wrong that day, so would be no surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

If you thought Brown's lot are bad, the Tories will be far worse. (And their Nanny!)

Hey glad you found that Philip. Hmmmm so basically now that we know both main parties are incompetent shysters and Liberals are wussies that leaves a straight choice between UKIP for the thinking man and BNP for the rest! Thanks for unmuddying the murky political waters and giving us clear direction Philip, you have done the board a great service. :tu:

Interesting to hear that the posties have well and truly been shafted by 'Gordy' and his party, for their non payment into their pension fund.

Thats since 'new labour' came to power, 'new labour' chose to take the option of a holiday pension payment which has lasted 12 years leaving the Royal Mail with a £10 billion defecit.

Mandelsen now calls for modernisation within the Royal Mail whilst members of parliament demand a 40% pay rise who deserves it more?

Have just seen the letter that The Sun published today that Gordon Brown sent out to the family of a bereaved soldier.

There really is only one word for it and that is shameful.

You really begin to think is Westminster, and the members of parliament really worth fighting for by putting your life on the line for this bunch of arrogant, overpaid, w@nkers.

Have just seen the letter that The Sun published today that Gordon Brown sent out to the family of a bereaved soldier.

There really is only one word for it and that is shameful.

Link to article

First of all I am not a Gordon Brown fan at all, but I am a bit frustrated that this is headline news. The Prime Minister, one of the busiest men in the country takes time to write to all of the families of the brave soldiers who give their lives and the first thing that enters this womans head is to make some money from it.

I agree his hand writing is not the best, but you can read it clear enough. The name mistake is obviously just an admin error (as it was also read out in parliment as James), which looks bad on him but he can only work on the information provided to him.

How do you know she's made money from it? How do you know that's the first thing that entered her head?

I bet you wouldn't be so philosophical if you were in her shoes.

Whether it's an admin error or Brown not being bothered to get his name right, it's still not acceptable. We sent this man off to die for his country, and he did, and we can't even get his bloody name right. I find your blase attitude towards this rather sad. how about the other half dozen errors in his letter, are they OK as well?

If he's too busy to properly write a letter to bereaved relatives, he shouldn't bother at all. He's about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit as it is, this won't make him any more popular. He could dictate the letter and then just sign it. That would be quicker and actually create the desired impression rather than send something which looks like it's been written by a retarded spider.

My aunty also had a letter a few weeks ago as one of my cousins was killed over there in the summer and there were numerous mistakes in that, but we didnt care. We simply appreciated that he made the effort, while having a helluva lot of other stuff to deal with! Had he got JUST the name right and still made all the other mistakes, the letter would just have been a laugh between the members of this family, as it is with ours! They should grow up and understand that this is a very busy man trying to run a whole bloody country!! I personal support the tories and will continue to do so. The only reason this is a big deal is because he didn't bow at the cenotaph (which WAS shameful).

Labour and its supporters are to blame for the state of this country.

Labour conned this country, it conned its own supporters and Tony Blair hoodwinked the lot of em with his idle promises.

Now, Tony Blairs failures are coming home to roost on the shoulder of the most incompetent man ever to run this country.

Brown, if you had balls, you would resign now. The trouble is, you cant see farther than the end of your nose and your spin doctors, including that penile wart from Burnley, will try and deflect your latest embarrassment with petty excuses.

You truly disgust me

I am usually one of Brown's biggest critics but I have sympathy for him in this case.

His hand writing is so bad because he cannot see properly. That is why he has to write in black felt tip pen.

Bryan asks why he couldn't get the letter dictated to him and sign it, I'm sure this lady would have taken very kindly when she received that letter. ("He can't even be bothered to write a letter himself").

I don't find it particularly funny to ridicule the handwriting of a man who is almost blind. There are a million and one things that Brown can be criticised for, this is not one of them. He personally writes to the parents of every fallen soldier. This grieving mother has been used as a tool by the Sun, i think she has acted in very bad taste by taping a private phone call and using it as a political tool.

Very unpleasant

I'm not sure any other Prime Minister has completely hand-written their letters.

I really wouldn't see a problem with getting it typed, surely people would understand it's because of his eyesight anyway.

I'm sorry for him that his eyesight is so bad, but I think sending a letter in that state to someone who's just lost their child shows a serious lack of judgement.

I am usually one of Brown's biggest critics but I have sympathy for him in this case.

His hand writing is so bad because he cannot see properly. That is why he has to write in black felt tip pen.

Bryan asks why he couldn't get the letter dictated to him and sign it, I'm sure this lady would have taken very kindly when she received that letter. ("He can't even be bothered to write a letter himself").

I don't find it particularly funny to ridicule the handwriting of a man who is almost blind. There are a million and one things that Brown can be criticised for, this is not one of them. He personally writes to the parents of every fallen soldier. This grieving mother has been used as a tool by the Sun, i think she has acted in very bad taste by taping a private phone call and using it as a political tool.

Very unpleasant

I'll go with that. It's better him writing personally than dictating and signing. This comes under the heading of chucking enough mud imo.

Maybe his secretary needs sharpening up as I'm sure he doesn't actually address envelopes and frank his mail himself. Given his position she should really view / check any such correspondence as a last act before posting. Alternatively one could take the view that given his position he should really make very sure that she does.

Archived