BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Loony Toons: Newcastle Preview

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't that the tenth consecutive win in the North East?

Indeed. The run has coincided exactly with me choosing to drive to the games up there rather than use official travel. Anybody who wishes to pay my petrol costs to ensure a Rovers win is more than welcome!

I'm delighted with this result. If there was any team that Newcastle could stop the slump against, it would be us. So to win there and add to Newcastle's pain is fantastic. It was good to see Roque scoring again, after going several games without scoring. If we are to do well this year, we need him scoring regularly like last year. I'm still not convinced that Ryan Nelsen should be in the starting 11. I really think that Ooijer or Zurab are a far better option than him and could in fact be the best pairing. I'm pleased for Paul Ince as well. I, like many people weren't sure about him and thought that some of his signings were uninspiring. But we have three wins in a row and even though he still has a lot to prove, this will answer a few questions about him.

My daughter met him when he was first appointed and said that he was a really exciting prospect. I think he's probably a lot more convincing when you meet him than when you just see him on tv. He seems to find it hard to be natural in front of camera but when he has relaxed just for a moment I've found myself warming to him and thinking he could be just what our club needs - very different from Hughes and quite clearly his own person.

What about the maestro's pass to Derbs in the 1st half when he ran in from the left and Given saved his shot? Pure class! Hope he can keep his current form up as he must be such a fantastic influence on the rest of the midfield players.

Matched by a remarkable piece of ball control by Derbs.

IMO this is the defining victory for Ince's team and his way of managing.

It sends a message to ALL the players, if you play well then you will start.

Olsson. Derbyshire, Carlos, tugay, Warnock in midfield, all excellent decisions.

Im pleased that Ince had the balls to give those that had performed during the week a chance. Great result for the boys, a typical game that we would usually screw up.

I too would like to see Zurab given a chance ahead of Nelsen. He is too slow and causes us to much worry. Hopefully Ollson and Warnock will keep thier positions against United too.

Id prefer to see a proper winger in either Pedersen or Treacy than Derbyshire as he just isnt good enough yet. Yes he has an impact but more so as a sub. He is one of our weak links at the moment, along with Nelsen.

Id prefer to see a proper winger in either Pedersen or Treacy than Derbyshire as he just isnt good enough yet. Yes he has an impact but more so as a sub. He is one of our weak links at the moment, along with Nelsen.

As Simpson is unavailable, I wouldn't be surprised to see Derbyshire moved to the right, Pedersen on the left and Emerton at right full back.

Im pleased that Ince had the balls to give those that had performed during the week a chance. Great result for the boys, a typical game that we would usually screw up.

I too would like to see Zurab given a chance ahead of Nelsen. He is too slow and causes us to much worry. Hopefully Ollson and Warnock will keep thier positions against United too.

That's funny , todays Observer had Derbyshire down as man of the match ! some difference of opinion here.

As Simpson is unavailable, I wouldn't be surprised to see Derbyshire moved to the right, Pedersen on the left and Emerton at right full back.

Hope Not. Im hoping for Emo at right back with Villanueva infront of him maybe. Derbyshire isnt a winger, yes he puts plenty of effort in, but he just isnt strong enough and some of his decisions aint the best.

Archived