BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Loony Toons: Newcastle Preview

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great first half. Newcastle couldn't get near us, we were full of running and the accompanying slick passing ensured they were chasing shadows. Seems we have a team full of players that all want the ball now. That 45 mins were as good as it's been in a long time, shame we only got two goals. I can't single individual players out for praise, I struggled to see who was who :lol: .

The second half was a different matter, more even because Newcastle had an extra man, the ref. He gave them everything they claimed for and us nothing.

Never have I known the home support as quiet up there as it was today, our support was magnificent.

Next week could be worrying with manure due in town.

Guaranteed a 29000 crowd.

Guaranteed a cracking atmosphere.

Guaranteed that the hostility between both clubs will be on view.

Guaranteed we will see the pre match build up centred on Ince versus RFW and the supposed fall out between them.

The real things that concerns me are a, where are manure playing in Europe in midweek ?

b, just how bad is our injury list going to be come Saturday 5pm ?

Guaranteed I will be making my first trip to see Blackburn play United at home, with seats in the Blackburn End, i love it!!

• Backroom
The MOTD commentator for our game sounds depressed. Toon in disguise probably!

I thought this too he was gutted when we scored. Shearer also looked gutted saying you have to hand it to rovers.

The second half was a different matter, more even because Newcastle had an extra man, the ref. He gave them everything they claimed for and us nothing.

Funny, they just replayed what should have been the second yellow on Nelsen where a foul wasn't even called on the edge of the box.

Quiz on today's game:

Which Rovers player....

1) had the highest percentage of accurate passes?

2) and the lowest?

3) made the most successful tackles?

4) put in the most crosses?

5) had most attempts on goal?

6) played most balls into the forward zone?

7) made the most clearances?

Answers (E&OE):

1) treb 40 passes at 90%, 2) larimda 37 passes at 54%, 3) sbred 6 and no fouls, 4) nospmis with 4, 5) sbred 4 attempts, 3 on target 6) sgut 32 7) abmas 6

Nelsen, Emerton and Santa Cruz committed most fouls........4 each.

Data from here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...s-Football.html

== I WATCHED THE GAME ==

We deserved to win, especially on the first half where we murdered them. The Olsson handball would have been harsh since he was being prevented from reaching his jump by a Toon player, Owen has clearly been to the Ronaldo school of diving and it was really only 15 mins of play after that where they looked like they might salvage something. The last 10 mins were ours again. Nelson was lucky not be sent off but I think since the first yellow was a bit harsh it equalled itself out, also the ref was way too lenient on the Toon, he didn't even blow for fouls they committed when we were being carded for them.

The +'s:

- Carlos is class, he hasn't even played a full game yet and he already has 1 goal, 2 assists, and 2 "assist assists" (if there is such a thing). He did lose it a bit occassionally but he has got that something special that can turn a game in one ball.

- Derbs played good but HE IS NOT A WINGER! He also should have squared 2 chances he had instead of trying to shoot.

- Olsson and Simpson were outstanding, Olsson can MOVE! I'd crap myself if I were a right back up against him on a run.

- Warnock and Emerton are looking good in their positions

- Tugay is still a legend - 90 mins at his age and still can play the ball like a maestro.

- Brown is small but pretty solid, not nervous with him at all

The -'s:

- Nelson is losing it!

- We should have tried to retain the ball for longer when they decided to show up in the second half, just a bit of easy 1-2 passing to break up their momentum and silence the crowd again would have muted their attack, but everytime we had the ball we seemed to give it away cheaply or play iffy passes.

Looking forward to next weekend, could be interesting.

great result and credit to Ince and e players. But i'm not expecting points from the manure game.

Don't think many people are, however the problem is that if we do lose then the "anti-Ince" brigade will be back saying the usual crap.

We're playing United at a bad time, they have just started to play as a team, they have Ronaldo back and he's already got 2 goals for the season. The only good thing is we are playing them after a Champions League game, so they will have a lot of Travelling so it could work in our favour.

Don't think many people are, however the problem is that if we do lose then the "anti-Ince" brigade will be back saying the usual crap.

We're playing United at a bad time, they have just started to play as a team, they have Ronaldo back and he's already got 2 goals for the season. The only good thing is we are playing them after a Champions League game, so they will have a lot of Travelling so it could work in our favour.

If I have been cast into the Anti-Ince brigade then I dont expect Rovers to get anything out of the ManU game, I see it as one were we can relax play with a freedom of expression and if Rovers happened to win then definitely Ince would be winning over the anti-Ince brigade.

Another good performance, particularly in the first half when we totally dominated the game. Once again the central midfield pairing of Tugay and Warnock proved a success while Emerton and Derbyshire worked hard on the flanks. Something of a mixed performance by Carlos. His free-kick led to the first goal and his pass to Emerton started the move for the second. However, it was his wayward pass that led to the penalty. He lost possession far too often and some of his decision making wasn't the best. There is no doubting his ability but it is going to take time to integrate him into English football. He lacks the pace and power at the moment to be competitive at this level but hopefully that will come with time.

Santa Cruz worked hard in the lone striker role and holds the ball up so well to bring the midfield into the game and, of course, he is always dangerous when crosses are put into the box.

Once again both full backs did well although Simpson began to struggle a little bit in the second half when Duff started to run at him. They are both young and are only going to get better and both are fine attacking full-backs and remind me of the Hird and Bailey partnership of the seventies.

Samba looked much better yesterday but Nelsen still worries me and the penalty situation was one in which he needn't have got involved. I still think Ooijer and Khizanishvili are the better partnership and it was interesting that Ince put Ooijer on to settle things down and moved Nelsen to left-back with Olsson moving to left-midfield. I suspect the manager himself is not too sure about the best combination in the centre of defence.

Brown did all that was asked of him in goal and made one or two good catches when under pressure.

Personally, I thought is was an excellent team performance in which everyone made a contribution. Apart from a twenty minute spell after Newcastle scored I felt that we were always in control. I would also congratulate the manager in having the confidence to play Tugay for another 90 minutes. He was at the heart of everything and at 38 remains a class act.

As one who was critical of his appointment I must admit Ince is beginning to look more assured in his role and I thought that tactically he got it spot on yesterday.

Something of a mixed performance by Carlos. His free-kick led to the first goal and his pass to Emerton started the move for the second. However, it was his wayward pass that led to the penalty. He lost possession far too often and some of his decision making wasn't the best. There is no doubting his ability but it is going to take time to integrate him into English football. He lacks the pace and power at the moment to be competitive at this level but hopefully that will come with time.

Pretty much what I said after the game against Grimsby Parsonblue. I got slated though, for being negative.

Very please by the result. Its a shame we did not get more in the second half.. Again full credit to PI and the team. Thats three wins in a week agaisnt PL opposition. Well done to all.

Personally, I dont think that Nelsen's penalty was deserved, nor was the handball by Olsson, even a shout.

Btw - RSC looks to be getting better in his sharpness. Q. Why was he not wearing a number, nor a name on his shirt?

How long has samba been going by the name of christoph? i thought it was christopher, the sky commentator yesterday said it and kammy has just said it on goals on sunday.

RSC shirt had blood on it, the spare kit didnt have a number on it until the second half

I'm not an Ince fan but I'm delighted with last weeks results and I'll be more delighted still if he keeps us in the position we're in now. Before we get too carried away Newcastle were truly awful yesterday and I think any team in the Premier league would fancy their chances against them, second half they improved a bit courtesy of the penalty and we didn't look quite so hot then.

Next week I'm not expecting a result but I am expecting a performance, a repeat of the stroll in the park that Arsenal got on their visit here will not do.

With that in mind hands up all those who want Pedersen back in the team ! What planet are you on ? You reward half hearted displays with the guy getting the shirt back ? At least Derby puts himself about. All this nonsense that he works hard in defence or he's a good header of the ball. If you equate just jogging alongside an opponent while they boss the touchline is defending well you're right. Yes he can get up well , he's a tall slim guy with a good spring but he rarely directs his headers anywhere in particular.

I'd also give Nelsen a rest, he's becoming a liability, too many soft freekicks and pens. He goes to ground much too easily and his timing is not what it was. I'd give Ooijer a game in his place.

My Team

Robbo/Brown

Emerton( don't want him here really but we have no choice)

Samba

Ooijer

Ollson

Reid

Tugay

Villaneava

Warnock

Derbyshire

Santa Cruz

How long has samba been going by the name of christoph? i thought it was christopher, the sky commentator yesterday said it and kammy has just said it on goals on sunday.

RSC shirt had blood on it, the spare kit didnt have a number on it until the second half

It's Christophe, the French way of saying Christopher. Samba was actually born in France even though he plays for DRC (whose official language is French).

Archived