BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vs. Portsmouth Preview

Amo

I think you should direct the same post to the Anti BFS brigade. Apparently being a big fella with large jowls is a sure fire indication of his ability as a footbal manager.

If that were the case I would. Personally, if he came in I would back him as he is a proven Premier League manager but that doesn't mean I approve of everything he has done. I'll mention his son and transfers in passing as an example...

And from that reasoning I take it you were not one of the anti Big Sam idiots? You beat me to it Theno!

No I wasn't. Ince wasn't my first choice for manager and neither was BFS but I didn't join the Facebook group and think that was as stupid as you can possibly get tbh.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Arry had a few problems concerning transfers not just Sam and nothing was ever proved, so what is your point?

Irregularities in transfers are nothing new but the one thing I was always happy about was we were never mentioned in those investigations and long may that continue. As for 'nothing being proven' that happens a lot. Panorama programme article.

I got back from Portsmouth too late, tired, cold and depressed to post last night. This morning I have had a quick scan through posts on the match but really can't be bothered with the pro-anti Ince debate anymore.

The bottom line for me is that a club I have loved and followed for 47 years is standing on the brink of relegation. On our return from Portsmouth last night the talk was that after two European Tours with Mark Hughes we have now embarked upon our Farewell to the Premiership Tour under Ince.

Ince was never my first choice, indeed he wasn't on my list, but I felt once appointed he deserved a chance. It's open to debate how long that chance should have been. However, 3 points from 27 is a record that cannot be defended or explained away by bad luck.

As for the match itself it was another horror show by a team that is completely disorganised. If Little and Crouch had taken two easy chances the game would have been over by half-time.

The second half was a complete and utter shambles. The effort from the players is there but they are tactically all over the place. It was also alarming how some players went to pieces in the second half after looking OK during the first 45 minutes. Samba was a prime example. He had a nightmare in the second half and was caught out time after time.

While the players deserve credit for fighting back from two goals down the sad fact is that we cannot expect to take anything from matches defending as we do. I'm not just talking about the back four but the whole team. Because we are so disorganised our opponents often find themselves attacking our defenders in one on one situations. We don't appear to have cover when and where it's needed. Portsmouth's second goal yesterday was appalling from a defensive point of view.

The most worrying aspect of the game yesterday was that apart from Dunn I felt that this was probably our strongest starting eleven. My own observations after yesterday, for what its worth, is that the following needs to addressed.

1. We Brett back at right-back or we need a buy a right-back. Ooijer is a centre-back - for me the best one we have - and Simpson is not good enough.

2. We need Ooijer in the centre of defence alongside Samba. We also need to make Ooijer captain. The other players appear to look to him for leadership. Before the game yesterday he was going to each player and offering encouargement and for the third game running he went over to Ince to point out what was happening on the pitch. He is one player we just cannot afford to lose at the moment. For me he is like Kevin Moran, an old head who can organise the players around him. I would give him a new two year contract in an instant.

3. We need some creativity in the midfield apart from Tugay. Andrews tries, but really is not good enough and was completely overshadowed by Papa Bouba Diop yesterday. Tugay was head and shoulders our best player on the pitch and at 38 I think that's a sad reflection of the state of affairs.

4. Pedersen, who I thought had a good game, is far too inconsistent and there is no obvious replacement when he is out of form. Again, we need to buy a quality left winger.

5. We need a goalscorer to play alongside Roque in attack.

6. Above all we need a new sense of direction from the management. Tactically we are inept and fitness wise we are lacking the sharpness of previous seasons. Whatever Ince and his team are doing down at Brockhall it is not working.

I am beginning to feel that it is approaching the point of no return. Indeed, I think we may already have crossed that point and I am beginning to prepare myself for a long stint of Championship football ahead. Plymouth Argyle away on a Tuesday night in November - I can hardly wait!

Irregularities in transfers are nothing new but the one thing I was always happy about was we were never mentioned in those investigations and long may that continue.[/url]

Graeme Souness has a very efficient legal team - allegedly.

Only seen the replays of the goals, but how on earth can a team expect to win a match when they make three horrific mistakes in defence that gift the opposition three goals? Samba must be sold. If Newcastle are interested, get rid now and use the money elsewhere.

Quite frankly that's a load of rubbish. Not supporting the manager because of your personal feelings towards him isn't pro-Rovers, giving him a chance to prove himself and maybe improve Rovers is. The fact he hasn't done that doesn't matter one jot, we may think it wasn't the greatest choice by the board but to write him off because you don't like him is like not employing someone for a job because he wears after-shave you don't like. IE not in the interests of the club/your company and all because of your personal preference.

One question- was I wrong or was I right? In the end analysis, that's all that really matters. I looked at and listened to the guy and knew he'd never make a successful Rovers manager. Why waste time with "giving him a chance"? People never surprise you in a good way in terms of quality of work. NEVER.

Devils advocate mode though:

What happens if Ince was sacked tomorrow and the new guy comes in and results don't improve to any great extent.

Do we sack him as well after ten or twelve games? (Which I'd be tempted to do if there was any chance at all of getting out of it) Or do we stick with him and say "It doesn't matter if he takes us down?"

Because we could do that now with Ince and save some money if the worst happened .

You need to take a break Simon, too much thinking going on there. Hopefully JW's thinking isn't as confused.

There really is only one question and I've been saying it for a while now, "are the board convinced that Paul Ince will turn this around"? If the answer is "no", [and who in their right mind can see any improvement at all], then unless they get rid and get someone else in, they are simply making the chances of rovers survival even more remote. They are worsening the situation.

The silence from JW, is doing nothing for the club either, - it's simply adding to the uncertainty. Uncertainty is the last thing rovers need. Dithering their way into the championship isn't the best way, is it? They really do have to make their minds up now. Not next week, not after another couple of games, but now.

2. We need Ooijer in the centre of defence alongside Samba. We also need to make Ooijer captain. The other players appear to look to him for leadership. Before the game yesterday he was going to each player and offering encouargement and for the third game running he went over to Ince to point out what was happening on the pitch. He is one player we just cannot afford to lose at the moment. For me he is like Kevin Moran, an old head who can organise the players around him. I would give him a new two year contract in an instant.

I couldn't disagree more with that, Ooijer is one of the first players that needs to be shipped out. He got off to a shocking start in his English career and has never ever fully got to grips with the very high paced physically demanding Premiership.

The silence from JW, is doing nothing for the club either, - it's simply adding to the uncertainty. Uncertainty is the last thing rovers need. Dithering their way into the championship isn't the best way, is it? They really do have to make their minds up now. Not next week, not after another couple of games, but now.

Not down to JW though is it?

He can make his recommendations but ultimately it's down to our friends in Jersey.

Not down to JW though is it?

He can make his recommendations but ultimately it's down to our friends in Jersey.

The trustees would surely take his advice on footballing matters though. All they have to do is back him.

You're not thinking clearly again. :)

One question- was I wrong or was I right? In the end analysis, that's all that really matters. I looked at and listened to the guy and knew he'd never make a successful Rovers manager. Why waste time with "giving him a chance"? People never surprise you in a good way in terms of quality of work. NEVER.

Souness did. He surprised the hell out of me, I didn't expect him to be able to get us promoted but he did especially after the end of the previous season. Hughes did the same after a slow start too. Ince just hasn't had a slow start, it started then stopped!

Souness did. He surprised the hell out of me, I didn't expect him to be able to get us promoted but he did especially after the end of the previous season. Hughes did the same after a slow start too. Ince just hasn't had a slow start, it started then stopped!

Was Jack not still funding Rovers for at least most of the time up to promotion?

I got back from Portsmouth too late, tired, cold and depressed to post last night. This morning I have had a quick scan through posts on the match but really can't be bothered with the pro-anti Ince debate anymore.

The bottom line for me is that a club I have loved and followed for 47 years is standing on the brink of relegation. On our return from Portsmouth last night the talk was that after two European Tours with Mark Hughes we have now embarked upon our Farewell to the Premiership Tour under Ince.

Ince was never my first choice, indeed he wasn't on my list, but I felt once appointed he deserved a chance. It's open to debate how long that chance should have been. However, 3 points from 27 is a record that cannot be defended or explained away by bad luck.

As for the match itself it was another horror show by a team that is completely disorganised. If Little and Crouch had taken two easy chances the game would have been over by half-time.

The second half was a complete and utter shambles. The effort from the players is there but they are tactically all over the place. It was also alarming how some players went to pieces in the second half after looking OK during the first 45 minutes. Samba was a prime example. He had a nightmare in the second half and was caught out time after time.

While the players deserve credit for fighting back from two goals down the sad fact is that we cannot expect to take anything from matches defending as we do. I'm not just talking about the back four but the whole team. Because we are so disorganised our opponents often find themselves attacking our defenders in one on one situations. We don't appear to have cover when and where it's needed. Portsmouth's second goal yesterday was appalling from a defensive point of view.

The most worrying aspect of the game yesterday was that apart from Dunn I felt that this was probably our strongest starting eleven. My own observations after yesterday, for what its worth, is that the following needs to addressed.

1. We Brett back at right-back or we need a buy a right-back. Ooijer is a centre-back - for me the best one we have - and Simpson is not good enough.

3. We need some creativity in the midfield apart from Tugay. Andrews tries, but really is not good enough and was completely overshadowed by Papa Bouba Diop yesterday. Tugay was head and shoulders our best player on the pitch and at 38 I think that's a sad reflection of the state of affairs.

4. Pedersen, who I thought had a good game, is far too inconsistent and there is no obvious replacement when he is out of form. Again, we need to buy a quality left winger.

5. We need a goalscorer to play alongside Roque in attack.

6. Above all we need a new sense of direction from the management. Tactically we are inept and fitness wise we are lacking the sharpness of previous seasons. Whatever Ince and his team are doing down at Brockhall it is not working.

I am beginning to feel that it is approaching the point of no return. Indeed, I think we may already have crossed that point and I am beginning to prepare myself for a long stint of Championship football ahead. Plymouth Argyle away on a Tuesday night in November - I can hardly wait!

Great post from someone who was actually at the game.

This is not something that can be turned around overnight but if we can address some of them immediately it will be a start. The transfer window is crucial and money MUST be made available to bring in WORLD CLASS players.

This is not something that can be turned around overnight but if we can address some of them immediately it will be a start. The transfer window is crucial and money MUST be made available to bring in WORLD CLASS players.

We shouldn't be giving Ince ANY money, that's for sure. He blew a substantial £4m on an injury-plagued holding midfielder when we already had one but sent him to Outer Mongolia. He spent money on Keith Andrews -- a lower-league journeyman we didn't need, and wasted time getting his pal Fowler to the club.

Any money in January needs to be in safe hands, with someone who knows what they're doing.

I would ship the entire management team out tomorrow and beg Tony to come back and take the reigns until a new manager and backroom staff can be assembled.

The new manager HAS to be backed and we need to bring in a couple of players who will make a massive impact and right away, not some promising youngsters from the lower leagues. If we have to pay over the odds, then so be it. We need another Andy Cole type signing to give the club a lift.

Curbs or Fat Sam would be a massive improvement, as much as it pains me to say.

Did anyone at the game yesterday watch Robbie Fowler take the freekicks during the pre-game warm up? Despite what everyone thinks about him, he was spot on every time placing them into the top corner with ease whilst Pedersen and Villanueva weren't really putting them away. It's just a shame that he's physically not there anymore because his finishing is still top notch.

I couldn't disagree more with that, Ooijer is one of the first players that needs to be shipped out. He got off to a shocking start in his English career and has never ever fully got to grips with the very high paced physically demanding Premiership.

We must agree to disagree on that Rev. Yesterday he looked more like the captain than Nelsen. He is the only one who has the ability to read the game and some of his tackling is first class. He is not a full-back and should be at the heart of our defence. Even Ince has acknowledged that his Ooijer's leadership qualities are invaluable. I feel sure that Samba would be a better player with Ooijer alongside him. At the moment Samba is like a headless chicken at times and is all over the place. His performance in the second half yesterday was extremely poor. I feel sure that Ooijer would be able to talk him through games and improve his positional play. In the past John McNamee made Faz a better player and Kevin Moran made Hendry a better defender. I think that Ooijer could do exactly the same for Samba.

I feel sure that Samba would be a better player with Ooijer alongside him. At the moment Samba is like a headless chicken at times and is all over the place. His performance in the second half yesterday was extremely poor. I feel sure that Ooijer would be able to talk him through games and improve his positional play. In the past John McNamee made Faz a better player and Kevin Moran made Hendry a better defender. I think that Ooijer could do exactly the same for Samba.

I said this about 8 months ago. Samba was all over the shop, Ooijer came in and he improved immensely.

Did anyone at the game yesterday watch Robbie Fowler take the freekicks during the pre-game warm up? Despite what everyone thinks about him, he was spot on every time placing them into the top corner with ease whilst Pedersen and Villanueva weren't really putting them away. It's just a shame that he's physically not there anymore because his finishing is still top notch.

what particuarly struck me in the warmup shots was how poor benni's finishing was, only contribution he made until he was taken off was to put santa through for his 1 decent attempt imo

For WORLD class players you need a WORLD class pot... something we just haven't got !

I've long felt that we can actually do this. Now before you fall off your chair laughing at my statement hear me out. Look at the likes of Ajax, Porto, Lisbon now whilst they are bigger than us fan base wise they have an interesting policy.

Buy young potentials mold them sell them on for silly money. then buy another to replace him. Now whilst not always the best policy it does bring in money and lots of it. Lisbon sold Nani and Ronaldo for big bucks and now since they are cash rich have said sod off to potential suitors for Veloso, Moutinho.

Carlos is our first step in the world of SA football, Holland, Brazil have always produced top level footballers lets find out why? how? and bring it back to ewood. Lets bring there young (18yrs+)good hopefuls over here make them better (yes new coaches will be required). Generate our own money, become a selling club for a while to benefit us in the long run if you like.

Archived