BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Oliver Holt

PAFELL

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For what it's worth I emailed a contact in the press on that subject and here's his reply. btw First paragraph was general chat so I've omitted a lump of it.........

Hi Gordon,

.......... I wouldn't bother reading Oliver Holt. His mum, who plays Emily Bishop on

Coronation Street, would make a better pundit.

Maybe we were too harsh on young Oliver.

He's never been quite the same since his poor old dad Ernest got shot.

2% of course is incorrect beacause if there were a representative number of black managers as a percentage of black footballers within the game, there would be 30 or 40 black managers out of the 92.

But again this is misrepresentative, because the current crop of managers would have been at their peak in the mid 90s, so really you'd need to look at the statistics from back then.

the ethnic make up of britain is 92% white, 2% black, 4% "asian" (presumably indian/pakistani/bangladeshi) and 2% "other" (??)

Source: Office of national statistics

so in the context of what oliver holt was writing (where he uses "black" as shorthand for not white) the correct percentage is 8% not the 2% yu repeatedly quote.

and that would equate to 7 professional managers (not the 1 at macclesfield) and 7 chief executives (not the zero)

its nowt to do with ince, but you can't deny that there is a lack of diversity in the top levels of english football

Ehm, it seems strange to argue a case of racism if you base your definition of not being white as "black". I'm not sure a British Pakistani or British Chinese person would consider themselves as such, seems too simplistic to be rational really, therfore i agree with Jan and think he meant of African/Caribean decent.

As for the lack of diversity, I said it would be nice to see a representative of 2%black charimain (as well as 4% Asian and 2" other) but the fact is that most chairmain earn a lot less than the players of which currenlty 25% of which are black. It's totally un-PC to say so (but realistic), black people do very well out of football.

Some twonk on that Sunday Journo Gang Bang show accused John Williams and the board of incompetence in hiring Ince, not mentioning the fact BFS turned us down because he wanted to spend some time with his family. First our club gets slated for sacking him far too early, then slated again for picking him in the first place.

Personally, I think Mr. Williams' mind was not on the job as he had to do another Gaviscon ad when the interviews were taking place.

Some twonk on that Sunday Journo Gang Bang show accused John Williams and the board of incompetence in hiring Ince

That's the only fair criticism. Incompetence is a strong word but I would say it's fair enough for journalists to question why we appointed him in the first place.

It does grate that some people say we should have given him more time though, that's hard to fathom.

My explanation to the journalist (who works for the Times I think) would be that on the surface Ince looked like he could be another Hughes-young, little experience but seemed to do well. It was a 'terrible error of judgement' rather than outright incompetence in hiring Ince. Incompetence would see Gary Glitter put in charge of the youth team or head of scouting, with the appointment of Uday Hussein as manager.

It feels like the newpaper columnists are taking any angle they can to have a go at Rovers.

Intuition is usually reliable, I think, with managerial appointments – Paul Ince never felt right for Blackburn. I wasn't especially comfortable with the Premiership's first British, black manager being made boss of a club with "black" as its first syllable. I worried that it was an influential factor — "We're called Blackburn, he is black, let's just let nature take its course."

If that had been posted on this or another fan site, Holt would have had a field day! Aside from that a good piece.

• Backroom

He's at it again in this mornings Mirror with his one sided view of things.. this time he's praising the arab owners of City for giving Hughes time to turn around their season, but at the same time he's slating JW again for the lack of faith in Ince,, What he fails to appreciate in all this is that Hughes is a proven Premiership manager and Ince a total novice but hey! not to let facts get in the way of a good excuse to slag off Rovers yet again eh Mr Holt !!!

So Hughes is not doing well because he "has inherited plenty of second-rate players and several malcontents and malingerers" at City.

By extension Ince must have also inherited a similar rag tag mob at Rovers... assembled by Hughes!

What an absolute Moron Holt is.

Not to pick too many holes in Mr Holt's argument but...

"Hughes is a top manager with the strength and the ability to turn City into top-four challengers if he is given the time and the money."

Why do you know this to be the case Mr Holt? Let me guess, his 4 year spell at Rovers where he was given time and as much money possible by Mr Williams at Blackburn, the irony is lost on you!

"He's got brilliant back-up in Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki and the planning, capability and ideas to become one of the country's elite bosses."

Why did you not mention who Blackburn Rovers had? Archie Knox, Ray Mathias and Winterburn, none of these individuals possesses the UEFA A license needed to become a top flight manager, the names mentioned ALL have the qualifications.

"Thankfully, City's owners seem to recognise Hughes has inherited plenty of second-rate players and several malcontents and malingerers."

So let me get this straight, a team consisting of Hart, Richards, Dunne, Elano, Petrov, Distin, Ireland, Robinho are second rate? I am sure I can name more, whereas obviously at Rovers Ince purchasing Andrews (league 2), Fowler (Championship bench), Carlos (Chilean league) are all Premier league A grade players.

"Hughes' pedigree has bought him the time a better chairman would have given Ince at Blackburn."

The pedigree you speak of was attained under the same chairman you are now condemning, I rarely comment on journalists but your argument has more holes in it than Rovers defence under Ince :rolleyes:

Not to pick too many holes in Mr Holt's argument but...

"Hughes is a top manager with the strength and the ability to turn City into top-four challengers if he is given the time and the money."

Why do you know this to be the case Mr Holt? Let me guess, his 4 year spell at Rovers where he was given time and as much money possible by Mr Williams at Blackburn, the irony is lost on you!

"He's got brilliant back-up in Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki and the planning, capability and ideas to become one of the country's elite bosses."

Why did you not mention who Blackburn Rovers had? Archie Knox, Ray Mathias and Winterburn, none of these individuals possesses the UEFA A license needed to become a top flight manager, the names mentioned ALL have the qualifications.

"Thankfully, City's owners seem to recognise Hughes has inherited plenty of second-rate players and several malcontents and malingerers."

So let me get this straight, a team consisting of Hart, Richards, Dunne, Elano, Petrov, Distin, Ireland, Robinho are second rate? I am sure I can name more, whereas obviously at Rovers Ince purchasing Andrews (league 2), Fowler (Championship bench), Carlos (Chilean league) are all Premier league A grade players.

"Hughes' pedigree has bought him the time a better chairman would have given Ince at Blackburn."

The pedigree you speak of was attained under the same chairman you are now condemning, I rarely comment on journalists but your argument has more holes in it than Rovers defence under Ince :rolleyes:

bloody hell imy you said ince was the man up until the last two games .

There is one thing that this has revealed about Oliver Holt as a pretend sports journalist...... He knows the square root of sweet (Please don't use that word again) all about football! He's blown his cover big time.

What's his real cause though, except bashing Rovers? I'm surprised of his stupidity, isn't journalism a profession over there? (not a swing at you, nicko) The fact that Sparky's fate will depend on a result against Hull in two days time, talking about City's money men now - a bit of a gamble. His reasoning and his whole article must've been produced in about five minutes. it contains nothing new, not a single reflection worth mentioning - just an attempt to become the undisputed Mr. PC. He should post in a forum like this, not write for a newspaper. Ridiculous.

I hope someone on here can post a news article when Sparky get the boot on Saturday morning.

Oh for God's sake, let's just ignore the half wit. He's be laughed out of the 5th form debating society.

What his editor must make of these contributions Lord only knows. Maybe he's as thick as Holt because he allows them to be published in the sports pages of his rag.

Archived