BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Setanta Sports

I've had 2 months, a Reader Offer, free trial of Setanta, and found that I didnt use it enough to warrent the £10 a month subscription.

My big problem now is trying to get them to stop the service - as others here have stated, their customer service is terrible. Nearly 30min yesterday waiting for them to answer the phone and then getting moved from one department to the next.

Sending a cancellation notice by recorded mail and cancelling the Direct Debit has to be the best advice on this thread.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sending a cancellation notice by recorded mail and cancelling the Direct Debit has to be the best advice on this thread.

Whilst I agree, as a word of caution they will hound you for months for money that they claim you owe them if you do this.

My daughter is going on a 6 week work placement to setanta soon. She enjoyed her visit to football matters and is looking for ward to going back. She says it's a young company i.e. a lot of the staff are young and although you can see the faults in their coverage, they are bringing in new ideas too and will get it right

My daughter is going on a 6 week work placement to setanta soon. She enjoyed her visit to football matters and is looking for ward to going back. She says it's a young company i.e. a lot of the staff are young and although you can see the faults in their coverage, they are bringing in new ideas too and will get it right

They are parasites. I hope they go bust one week after your daughter's placement finishes.

What I find rather annoying, and its not just Setanta, is the fact that when you want to cancell a subscription they advise you that if you dont cancell they will let you have the service for less eg half the normal subscription fee.

What I find rather annoying, and its not just Setanta, is the fact that when you want to cancell a subscription they advise you that if you dont cancell they will let you have the service for less eg half the normal subscription fee.

I agree Alan it really irritates the way these companies rip off the consumer. I think the only solution is to play the game. I now ring BT, Orange and a few others every so often and say I'm leaving, the response will always be to offer a better deal. It's very wrong but that's modern commerce.

As regards Setanta, applied on 31st December online, set up a Standing order etc and received an e-mail saying it would be 3-5 days for the CI card to arrive - we are, needless to say, still waiting. I did try phoning Customer Services with some questions, when I eventually got through the individual who answered was not very good!

If this was a casual purchase for myself I'd have given up by now.

I agree Alan it really irritates the way these companies rip off the consumer. I think the only solution is to play the game. I now ring BT, Orange and a few others every so often and say I'm leaving, the response will always be to offer a better deal. It's very wrong but that's modern commerce.

As regards Setanta, applied on 31st December online, set up a Standing order etc and received an e-mail saying it would be 3-5 days for the CI card to arrive - we are, needless to say, still waiting. I did try phoning Customer Services with some questions, when I eventually got through the individual who answered was not very good!

If this was a casual purchase for myself I'd have given up by now.

The email address if its of use customerservices@setanta.com

I've had 2 months, a Reader Offer, free trial of Setanta, and found that I didnt use it enough to warrent the £10 a month subscription.

My big problem now is trying to get them to stop the service - as others here have stated, their customer service is terrible. Nearly 30min yesterday waiting for them to answer the phone and then getting moved from one department to the next.

Had the same trouble. In the end I just cancelled the direct debit. They chased me for a while via phone and mail but I just ignored them and they gave up. Must happen all the time. Their own fault in the 1st place.

Had the same trouble. In the end I just cancelled the direct debit. They chased me for a while via phone and mail but I just ignored them and they gave up. Must happen all the time. Their own fault in the 1st place.

I had a similar experience. I actually wouldn't mind signing up again, but I cannot justify giving them my money. A shame really, they have much more on offer than before.

Guest Kamy100

My friend did the same early last year. Just recently he applied for a loan and was refused due to not having a good credit history. He was bemused and angry as he is type who is financially on top of things. He got an Experian credit report and it was Setanta who had blacklisted him, he was fuming and eventually got his credit history repaired.

• 3 months later...
If the satellite dish has been up for a while just be wary about picture quality. Early installations of dishes only point directly at the 'Sky' satellite. In order to get a perfect picture the dish should be aligned to point in between the Sky satellite and the 'other' satellite. If it's not then you'll get Setanta fine in clear weather but the slightest rain and it breaks up badly.

If you have this problem, you can set up Setanta Sports 1 on an alternative frequency under the "Other Channels" option on your Sky box. I have switched over when Channel 423 is affected in poor weather, and this alternative has always come to the rescue and been fine.

press services

then 4 for system setup

then 4 for add channels

then type in:

for the frequency

H

for the polarisation

click down to find channels

press select

move down to "Setanta Sports"

press the yellow button on your remote to store it

then press select

You can then access the channel on the alternative frequency by pressing Services and going to option 8.

Incidentally, getting mightily annoyed at their coverage of The Players Championship tonight from Sawgrass, they are trying to do their own commentary and graphics rather than using the host broadcasters - and they're doing a rubbish job of it. Sky and the BBC do golf brilliantly, I'm not sure why this tinpot outfit is trying to compete.

I think you might find its more than the bad weather that might put setanta off channel.

Allegedly, they are struggling to agree a deal for the "monday night" screening of live football and have so far failed to make the agrred price payment.

They are struggling financially and have lost over 27% of their subscribers in the past 4 weeks (footie season ending).

Potential implication is that the Monday night live game may well find itself on either ITV or BBC as setanta get rescued by BSKYB who subsequently give the final package to ET TV as a get out of monopolising the rights to ALL football live coverage.

Hopefully someone will make it so I don't have to pay 14 quid a month for Setanta and ESPN America - I'd gladly pay 5 a month for ESPN, but don't want to pay that much for all of the channels they bundle. I think they shot themselves in the foot by packaging everything together.

I think you might find its more than the bad weather that might put setanta off channel.

Allegedly, they are struggling to agree a deal for the "monday night" screening of live football and have so far failed to make the agrred price payment.

They are struggling financially and have lost over 27% of their subscribers in the past 4 weeks (footie season ending).

Potential implication is that the Monday night live game may well find itself on either ITV or BBC as setanta get rescued by BSKYB who subsequently give the final package to ET TV as a get out of monopolising the rights to ALL football live coverage.

It's not quite like that. They have two packages at the moment rather than just "monday night football" - from 2010-11 Sky have won back the better package (widely regarded to be the "monday night" slot) leaving Setanta with only 23 PL games in a 40+ week season, and the last choice of fixtures.

When Setanta's loss og games to Sky was announced, it sparked nervousness with their investors, and they were late with a payment on their other major package - to the FA for England games and their FA Cup package.

What they need to pay the Premier League in a couple of weeks is a far bigger chunk of cash than the payment they were late with to the FA, so as a result they are now in negotiations with all of the sports they cover (inc Scottish PL, rugby, FA and EPL) to try and agree revisions to payment schedules - and terms if they can.

If they fail, they would have their current agreements terminated and the rights owners could look elsewhere to sell the content. I'd expect ESPN America to pick up EPL (keeping American happy) as I don't see BBC being interested, and ITV / 5 won't be able to find ESPN's kind of cash.

I wouldn't miss Setanta, they've done a poor job overall. I can't imagine maintaining my subscription with them beyond next season if somehow they manage to stave off the content owners (not for 23 games) - and if they lose the EPL before that the cancellation will be straight in the post.

story as the Telegraph broke it

• 4 weeks later...
Does Setanta own/operate ESPN America? You can only get it with the Setanta package from what I've seen.

This is my only worry about Setanta going, that ESPN will disappear too. However the channel ESPN Classics is a Sky channel not a Setanta one, so maybe Sky could just be nice and take ESPN America.

Well they are still on the air despite reports yesterday that Setanta were closing down at midnight, I was reading in the one of the Scottish newspaper today that there is panic amongst Scottish clubs as they are owed a fair bit of money by Setanta, not so much Rangers and Celtic but other clubs will struggle without the money.

Interesting to see BskyB refusing to help Setanta out, it looks like they are just waiting for them to go bust and then pick up the pieces in a cheap deal.

Well they are still on the air despite reports yesterday that Setanta were closing down at midnight, I was reading in the one of the Scottish newspaper today that there is panic amongst Scottish clubs as they are owed a fair bit of money by Setanta, not so much Rangers and Celtic but other clubs will struggle without the money.

Interesting to see BskyB refusing to help Setanta out, it looks like they are just waiting for them to go bust and then pick up the pieces in a cheap deal.

the SFA gave the scottish club the money owed by setanta to the scottish clubs £3m. will the english fa be able to do the same?

Only if Man U or Liverpool need it. BBC and/or ITV should strike now and nab the remaining block of games should Setanta go under. It would be great to have live football on non-subscription TV. Yeah I know I'm dreaming and all of the BBC sports budget has been jizzed on the F1.

Only if Man U or Liverpool need it. BBC and/or ITV should strike now and nab the remaining block of games should Setanta go under. It would be great to have live football on non-subscription TV. Yeah I know I'm dreaming and all of the BBC sports budget has been jizzed on the F1.

BBC do have some football next season. It isn't Premiership but a few Championship and the Carling Cup. Would be interesting to see how many they put on bbc1 or 2 and how many will get shoved on bbc3 and bbc4.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...009-399249.html

Archived