BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blyth Spartans Vs Blackburn Rovers

Majiball

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the positives are we got through and had the chance to rest our first team and have a look at the reserves. Unfortunately none of them really stood out, Derbyshire was the biggest dissappointment for me as I expect better from him, I'm getting the impression I was wearing tinted glasses and perhaps he is just a poacher at best.

Villanueva showed signs of skill, don't know why he was replaced, sadly that goal could have been his last kick for the club. Vogel and Grella were terrible, Grella has just come back from injury and isn't used to playing with the team but Vogel has been there a year and should be fighting for a place in the team, he offered nothing, no wonder Ince never played him despite the stick he got on here for it.

Interesting how a few weeks ago Ince got all the blame for bad performances, now the players take the blame!

Grella terrible??

He never gave the ball away, dropped off, always available, talked well and organised, Rovers bossed the game whilst he was in midfield, as soon as Andrews came on we lost midfield, personally, I thought along with Bunn who looked useful and comfortable in all he did and perhaps Zurab, Grella was a big plus factor in the team and my man of the match until he went off!!

I know it is not much consolation, but just to help you all get things in perspective maybe just a little better:-

Sometime in the late '60s Gt. Harwood hosted Man Utd in the cup and I was there to see it. It was certainly not Manure's 1st team but there were a majority of their eleven that had considerable 1st team experience,including 3 or 4 internationals. Gt. Harwood were in a league that was playing at a lower level than Blyth are presently playing at, and the pitch was very poor, hardly better than you would expect to find down Pleasington Playing Fields.

You get the picture? Well the match was similar to how most of you have described last nights match at Blyth. But for Rovers read Man.U. They too were a top 1st div side at the time and they too looked to be barely able to handle the "up for it" Gt. Harwood side. Manure ran out as winners in the end (cant remember the score, but it was close) but Gt. Harwood got ALL the credit from the invading media and from the full house that were there to see it.

So you see folks.....it happens! Nothing new about it.

The substitution of Villanueva was odd to say the least.

Unless he is in Sams plans for the next match it looked like he was being punished for scoring!

I must say Carlos takes some great dead ball kicks. Regardless of yeterdays goal his free kicks from the left are superb.

Such is the collective dross of players thats been assembled at Ewood over the past several years by successive managers at ALL levels of the club, hope those cosey directors and shareholders are happy when they view their balance sheet because the team sheets dont look healthy.

You should try telling that to the fans of WHU and Pompey.

Anyone expecting a flowing game of football is out of touch with the reality of reserve team football. Watch rovers reserves away from the snooker table surface of Prem football pitches and what you saw last night, is what you get.

Tris says "that wasn't the performance I expected to see even from the second string on a tricky surface. Except it's not really a tricky surface if you are paid to play football - deal with it. The surface doesn't explain what was missing." - Sorry Tris, but being paid makes no difference, it is still a tricky surface however much you're paid.

The way rovers struggled last night, is the reason why non/lower league teams beat Prem teams. Play those games on a large, nicely grassed, flat pitch anywhere and the Prem team will win every time.

That isn't to say some of the players looked poor because they did, but that's always the same when these guys play in a lower standard of football. That's why it's always difficult to spot a talent from watching reserve team football. In some ways, it's easier to spot talent at Brockhall, where the conditions are much better.

Anyone expecting a flowing game of football is out of touch with the reality of reserve team football. Watch rovers reserves away from the snooker table surface of Prem football and what you saw last night, is what you get.

Tris says "that wasn't the performance I expected to see even from the second string on a tricky surface. Except it's not really a tricky surface if you are paid to play football - deal with it. The surface doesn't explain what was missing." - Sorry Tris, but being paid makes no difference, it is still a tricky surface however much you're paid.

The way rovers struggled last night, is the reason why non/lower league teams beat Prem teams. Play those games on a large, nicely grassed, flat pitch anywhere and the Prem team will win every time.

That isn't to say some of the players looked poor because they did, but that's always the same when these guys play in a lower standard of football. That's why it's always difficult to spot a talent from watching reserve team football. In some ways, it's easier to spot talent at Brockhall, where the conditions are much better.

Well put, however, I felt that some players coped better than others, Bun had a devil of a back pass to deal with which bobbled badly, yet he didnt panic and was very proffessional in the way he coped!

Grella didnt give the ball away all evening and Carlos was never going to hold on to the ball the way he can on that kind of surface, he must learn when to release the ball though, that is his downfall, he is too predictable. If he can vary his game more, he will be a much better player.

Haven't read any of the other posts so sorry if this has already been said:

Blyth come out of the game with great credit - but only because we allowed them to. We were far too negative right from the off. Starting the game with two defensive midfielders against that standard of opposition is just terrible. We then took off our only decent, attacking player.

Last 10 minutes we again go back to 4-5-1 and resort to just hitting aimless long balls and sitting deep. It's what we did against city and it backfired against us, and it very nearly backfired against us again last night. Why doesn't Alladyce realise that the best way to stop other teams putting us under pressure is to keep hold of the ball - they can't attack us if we're in possesion. Especially against part-timers, ffs!!

Also I think i read somewhere that Sam had said to the players they had to impress him or they were out - well in that case Derbs won't ever play for us again!! Far and away the worst player on the pitch from either side!!

Overall though a good night out and at least we won - watching footy at grounds like that just seems far more real somehow than the usual premiership stadiums. Great chants for Zurab and Bunn too - He's got a long/short name - Quality!!

I think your being harsh on Derbs. He had an awful night but all players do every now and then.

He has proven he has what it takes at the top level, the only thing for me is the way in which we use him. He is an impact player. Bring him on with 20-25mins to go and more often than not he will get you the goal that you need.

You can't really have a go at him for not scoring when Jason Roberts had 30mins and looked less like scoring than Derbs.

To a certain extent modes, i agree with you on Derbs. However, what worries me is will he ever be a 90 minute striker, or will he just be remembered as an impact player for the last 20 minutes. This is the reason why i feel, we rather keep Roque, or we sign up another 1 or 2 quality strikers if RSC is sold...

Anyone expecting a flowing game of football is out of touch with the reality of reserve team football.

I must be too. It's so rare to see members of the first team squad actually turning out for the reserves that it's no wonder they look disjointed when they are asked to put a shift in. Personally I don't understand the way it works within big clubs, we just accept nowadays that the reserves is more often the third team.

I would love to win the cup this year as long as we survive and not at the expense of said survival.

I watched the game on my laptop as I don't have Setanta and was reasonably impressed by Kish, Grella, Carlos getting into the game and Treacy causing major problems (should he have had a pen btw?) but the rest left me wondering what they were playing at. We were comfortable for 80 minutes but should have been into the distance by half-time.

Final story is that we went there, played mostly second string and won. Job done.

Performance was poor, i think we will all acknowledge that.

Result was needed! Great away support!

Much annoyance at the slack s*ds who just decided that they would just walk off at the end without even acknowledging the rovers travelling support.

Roll on next round .........

Blyth come out of the game with great credit - but only because we allowed them to. We were far too negative right from the off. Starting the game with two defensive midfielders against that standard of opposition is just terrible.

There were several reasons for the two defensive midfielders though, such as match fitness and resting the other guys. It wasn't to be negative.

I think your being harsh on Derbs. He had an awful night but all players do every now and then.

He has proven he has what it takes at the top level, the only thing for me is the way in which we use him. He is an impact player. Bring him on with 20-25mins to go and more often than not he will get you the goal that you need.

You can't really have a go at him for not scoring when Jason Roberts had 30mins and looked less like scoring than Derbs.

Sorry modes but Derbyshire is or has gone backwards big time over the past season, looked forward to cheering on a local lad who seemed to have the pace that Gallagher didnt have but he just looks so poor now its time for Matty to move on, build himself up, and hopefully return to Ewood in seasons to come a better player than he is now.

For a team sitting second bottom of the sixth tier, Spartans had a level of physical fitness, strength, organisation and basic skill levels that was quite astonishing.

Semi-pro football has come on along way since I used to watch Bognor Regis Town with Vince Hillaire trundling around some 15 years ago.

Come on philipl WE ARENT THAT GOOD !

Rovers standards have dropped thats how you should view it not theirs have risen.

everyones being far too pessimistic

11 changes to the team, no suspensions or injuries

through to the next round passed a potential banana skin

i really dont think too much can be read in to the game, no one played well particularly, a few had bad games but mostly it was due to the pitch

i think people on this website are far more negative than the way rovers played last night. we had plenty of shots at goal

everyones being far too pessimistic

11 changes to the team, no suspensions or injuries

through to the next round passed a potential banana skin

i really dont think too much can be read in to the game, no one played well particularly, a few had bad games but mostly it was due to the pitch

i think people on this website are far more negative than the way rovers played last night. we had plenty of shots at goal

Braddock, Rovers play against Manchester Uniteds, Liverpools, Chelseas and Arsenals these lads that played last night have to be at that level IF Rovers are to continue competing at that level.

Apart from a quality free kick from Carlos Villaneuva there wasnt one moment of premiership quality on show. Some Rovers fan might be unable to differentiate between the skill levels of Blythe players and premiership players but your not going to get everyone making a difference but we should at least be seeing two or three players standing out in a game like this.

Sorry modes but Derbyshire is or has gone backwards big time over the past season, looked forward to cheering on a local lad who seemed to have the pace that Gallagher didnt have but he just looks so poor now its time for Matty to move on, build himself up, and hopefully return to Ewood in seasons to come a better player than he is now.

Agree that Derbyshire looked poor last night but he wasn't the only one. Got the impression Allardyce was putting a lot of the 2nd string players on trial last night to show their worth against lower opposition. Worrying though that our 2nd string can only just get past a team like Blyth and shows that we need to reinforce quickly particularly in midfield.

There were several reasons for the two defensive midfielders though, such as match fitness and resting the other guys. It wasn't to be negative.

It was a shocker. Even a defensive midfielder should be able to link up in attacks against such weak opposition.

I blame the last two managers for neglecting the youth system which is one of the worst in the county. Whole development /scouting network needs a complete overhaul. NO new young players coming through look like premiership quality. No long term development being done (Whose been at Rovers sinc they were 11?)and if they are not good enough ship them out- start with the youth coaches and scouts..

I know it is not much consolation, but just to help you all get things in perspective maybe just a little better:-

Sometime in the late '60s Gt. Harwood hosted Man Utd in the cup and I was there to see it. It was certainly not Manure's 1st team but there were a majority of their eleven that had considerable 1st team experience,including 3 or 4 internationals. Gt. Harwood were in a league that was playing at a lower level than Blyth are presently playing at, and the pitch was very poor, hardly better than you would expect to find down Pleasington Playing Fields.

You get the picture? Well the match was similar to how most of you have described last nights match at Blyth. But for Rovers read Man.U. They too were a top 1st div side at the time and they too looked to be barely able to handle the "up for it" Gt. Harwood side. Manure ran out as winners in the end (cant remember the score, but it was close) but Gt. Harwood got ALL the credit from the invading media and from the full house that were there to see it.

So you see folks.....it happens! Nothing new about it.

I was there too. Seem to remember Arrod had a good big C.H. called Proctor. Can't remember who played for Utd, but their goalie was the big dark haired one with big sideburns. I think Willie Morgan played, though.

Agree that Derbyshire looked poor last night but he wasn't the only one. Got the impression Allardyce was putting a lot of the 2nd string players on trial last night to show their worth against lower opposition. Worrying though that our 2nd string can only just get past a team like Blyth and shows that we need to reinforce quickly particularly in midfield.

True stpbrown, thought Simpson, Judge, Vogel and Mokoena were equally as bad as Derbs, dont want to see any of them remain at the club they are draining money out of the club that could go towards other more effective players.

Archived