BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blyth Spartans Vs Blackburn Rovers

Majiball

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vogel is poor, Grella needs to be given time. That was his first game since an injury and he has only managed about 3 or 4 games in a stop-start beginning to his Rovers career.

Because Vogel has had loads of chances?! He played 6 games last season having not played for about a year, was possibly our best outfield player in the draw vs United and made his first start of the season today.

Derbyshire is not looking like a Premier league player by some distance. This was his chance to impress from the strikers position rather than from the wing..... One swallow does not make a summer BUT imo he failed the test abysmally If RSC goes we need a striker even more than we need a right winger!

Vogel has been fit all season... Grella hasnt.

If Vogel is such a great player...Why hasnt he broken under the team with 2 different managers??

One manager was Ince, and a few have suggested there were other factors at play there, or at the very least he would've been given a slot on the bench. Something was definitely amiss there. And Sam has only been around for three games and isn't going to want to chuck someone into the first team in vital matches who hasn't played all season, he said as much when he first came in.

If Vogel is such a bad player, why was he in what was regarded as one of the best midfields in Europe at PSV? Why did Milan see fit to snap him up? He's played regularly in the Champions League, something Grella can't boast. And before you mention his age, 31 is hardly old for a player of his style.

He turned in two or three very good performances towards the end of last season.

The big worry for me tonight was the two senior pros Grella and Vogel exercising negligible control in central midfield. Those two should be closest to getting into the team in the absence of Dunn.

Agreed Phil. I didn't watch the game tonight, but you'd imagine that seasoned pros like Vogel and Grella would absolutely ###### on a part time midfield. If they had anything about them, they would. I've been out for eleven months now; if I regained fitness tomorrow, I'd have enough about me to impose myself on year six kids (it's a fair comparison).

Everyone seems to be having a go at Treacy and Judge, but it seems that they were our only players having a go at getting into the box and creating chances....the problem was that our veteran center of midfield , consisting of Vogel, Grella and then Andrews, was beyond poor and exercised no control of the over the center of the park...Mokoena was once again not as poor as made out to be...had some crunching tackles and some last ditch clearances, along with the usual lapse in concentration...

Right I'm half cut, so want to put these points here before i forget.

Judge played a ball of absolute quality.

Andrews missed a sitter, again.

Someone needs to chase treacy with a rolled up wet towel.

Rovers cost me a£50 tonight.

Why the Duck was big sam talking to the rudy press in the middle of our game. It would never happen in the prem and really shows how seriously it was being taken.

Villa needs more time great free kick needs to be a little higher though for the prem.

I love Jack daniels and champers.

Long drive home so not much to say, other than that wasn't the performance I expected to see even from the second string on a tricky surface. Except it's not really a tricky surface if you are paid to play football - deal with it. The surface doesn't explain what was missing.

I thought Zurab and Carlos were the only players to emerge with any credit, Grella to a lesser extent. Bunn did what he had to do I suppose. Derbyshire was very disappointing, made some awful decisions and just got too much wrong - and was shackled by players who shouldn't be able to contain him like they did.

It was astonishing that Derbs didn't make way instead of Villanueva, who was starting to make great runs, find space, always wanted the ball - and then scored that cracking goal. Why substitute the only skillful player in the team when he's just boosted his confidence sky high!?

The tactics for the rest of the game appeared to be hit Jason Roberts early, end of tactics. It didn't work and we were lucky to scrape the win. If that's the way things are going to be then it's going to be a long, crap season. And if that's going to be the level of (dis)respect shown to the FA Cup, then we'll be out of it in 3 weeks anyway.

Talking of (dis)respect, not one single Rovers player bothered to cross the half way line to acknowledge the travelling support at the end. Blyth's keeper gave us more applause than the entire Rovers team.

Great welcome from the locals, and a really friendly atmosphere at a decent honest football club. Good luck to them.

view from the away end ...

3171938427_479b9d3ec3_m.jpg

Spot on, Tris. Thought the least the players could do was to come over to the supporters, maybe they just wanted to pretend it hadn't happened as they were in general pretty woeful.

Beginning to think Ince had a point with that piece of paper he was seen carrying with the word 'shoot' on it...

Vogel was unavailable for about a month during the Ince time through a training injury.

To be fair, most of the time until Andrews replaced Grella, Blyth were hitting a midfield brick wall that was not letting them through but the lack of quality balls forward gave Judge, Treacy, Derbyshire and Villanueva virtually nothing to work with.

The substitution of Villanueva was odd to say the least.

Whatever was intended by the subs failed as Blyth managed to put some decent attacks in afterwards.

Vogel was unavailable for about a month during the Ince time through a training injury.

To be fair, most of the time until Andrews replaced Grella, Blyth were hitting a midfield brick wall that was not letting them through but the lack of quality balls forward gave Judge, Treacy, Derbyshire and Villanueva virtually nothing to work with.

Whatever was intended by the subs failed as Blyth managed to put some decent attacks in afterwards.

They were always going to have one last rally though weren't they? After all it was their Cup Final. The only thing that mattered tonight was that we won and we did. Unlike Manure we don't have a ref to do the work for us. It gave Sam a chance to look at fringe players and I hope he got the message! A lot of building to do at Ewood.

Spot on, Tris. Thought the least the players could do was to come over to the supporters, maybe they just wanted to pretend it hadn't happened as they were in general pretty woeful.

Beginning to think Ince had a point with that piece of paper he was seen carrying with the word 'shoot' on it...

They probably didnt acknowledge the travelling support because they are all possible on their way out of the club.

Was there not at least four of first choice central midfielders playing last night in Grella, Vogel, Andrews and Mokoena they were very poor which they are .

Such is the collective dross of players thats been assembled at Ewood over the past several years by successive managers at ALL levels of the club, hope those cosey directors and shareholders are happy when they view their balance sheet because the team sheets dont look healthy.

I think Judge looked lively. Treacy was trying but couldnt get it done. Too rushed in his decision making.

Carlos was trying but I wasnt disappointed he couldnt do more against an amateur defence.

Derbyshire by far the worst player on the night.

Zurab was composed the whole night through, whilst Mokoena looked like he was ready to have a heart attack.

Not too many positives other than our first choice players had a rest and we are in the 4th round now.

Guest Kamy100

I couldn't understand the Carlos subsititution as he looked like the one player who was looking like doing something out of the ordinary. Maybe he was subbed with a view to him having a role on Saturday or of course it could be that Sam was not impressed by what he saw.

Agree that Derbs was very poor last night, he gave away possession, missed clear cut chances and on that showing is no way ready to play regularly in the Premier League.

The aim of any Cup game is to win and get through to the next round. We did this and without having to start with any of the eleven who will start Saturday's game. For me those were the two main positives of the night - plus the hospitality of our hosts who made us all very welcome.

I felt Zurab was our best player on the night over the 90 minutes. Aaron's passing was poor but, in fairness, he made a couple of last ditch tackles that prevented Blyth from scoring. Bunn, who I have been impressed with in the Reserves, didn't have a great deal to do but what he did do was impressive - as was his kicking. I really do believe that this guy has the potential to be Brad's long term replacement. It will be interesting to see how he develops. Olsson didn't get forward as much as usual but then Treacy showed not great appetite to cover him when he did. I thought Simpson was disappointing and really do feel that we need to look for a better option at right-back. There is no way he will break into United's team and I really don't think he is going to be the long term solution for ourselves.

I felt our midfield was again very indifferent. Vogel and Grella looked like two players with very little football and I'm not sure they can play together - both seem to be happier with the holding role rather than going forward. Grella seemed to be signalling to the bench that he needed to come off so perhaps he is not quite fully fit. Vogel I feel could still do a job on the bench. Judge had a poor game by his standards and Treacy began OK but faded badly in the second half. I really do question his application in games like this when you have to dig in and grind out a result. I was again unimpressed with Keith Andrews when he came on. Apart from missing a glorious chance he failed to impress considering that he has been a first choice for us for much of the season.

Carlos scored a superb goal but lacks the pace and physique for the Premiership. Against weaker option he looks great but unfortunately he's not up against the likes of Grimsby and Blyth every week. The biggest disappointment for me was the performance of Matt Derbyshire. He just seems to be going backwards at the moment. On this performance we will certainly need to bring in another striker if we lose Roque. He just didn't seem able to get into the game at any point.

On the night it was not the best performance but, in fairness, how often are these eleven going to play together in the Premiership? Grella and Vogel I feel sure would perform better with better players around them. Ultimately, I went to Blyth expecting us to progress into the next round and that is exactly what we did.

The tactics for the rest of the game appeared to be hit Jason Roberts early, end of tactics. It didn't work and we were lucky to scrape the win. If that's the way things are going to be then it's going to be a long, crap season.

I'll take a long crap season as long as it ends with Rovers still in the Prem.

Those who expect semi-pro sides to roll over and die know nothing about football : I played in it for a few years and the teams are tough, honest, work hard and are well-organised. Blyth will be chuckling today at the supposed superior skills of the Rovers players.

They probably didnt acknowledge the travelling support because they are all possible on their way out of the club.

They didn't acknowledge the travelling support because they are for the most part mercenaries who have no affection for the club or the fans.

Derbyshire - NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Missed at least 2 or 3 good chances, should be scoring at least 1 or 2 against teams like this.

I think your being harsh on Derbs. He had an awful night but all players do every now and then.

He has proven he has what it takes at the top level, the only thing for me is the way in which we use him. He is an impact player. Bring him on with 20-25mins to go and more often than not he will get you the goal that you need.

You can't really have a go at him for not scoring when Jason Roberts had 30mins and looked less like scoring than Derbs.

Now and again doesnt cut it two weeks after a new manager has taken over and you have been given a rare start against amateurs!

Non-league semi-pro players are not amateurs and often have a more professional outlook than full-time players ; amateurism is a state of mind .

For a team sitting second bottom of the sixth tier, Spartans had a level of physical fitness, strength, organisation and basic skill levels that was quite astonishing.

Semi-pro football has come on along way since I used to watch Bognor Regis Town with Vince Hillaire trundling around some 15 years ago.

Well the positives are we got through and had the chance to rest our first team and have a look at the reserves. Unfortunately none of them really stood out, Derbyshire was the biggest dissappointment for me as I expect better from him, I'm getting the impression I was wearing tinted glasses and perhaps he is just a poacher at best.

Villanueva showed signs of skill, don't know why he was replaced, sadly that goal could have been his last kick for the club. Vogel and Grella were terrible, Grella has just come back from injury and isn't used to playing with the team but Vogel has been there a year and should be fighting for a place in the team, he offered nothing, no wonder Ince never played him despite the stick he got on here for it.

Interesting how a few weeks ago Ince got all the blame for bad performances, now the players take the blame!

Archived