BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blyth Spartans Vs Blackburn Rovers

Majiball

And what if we played key players last night and they got injured? Bear in mind injuries in a game like last night's were always FAR more likely, with the opposition looking to scrap as much as they can, the quality/timing of tackles being poor and the pitch being the way it was. Then people would quite rightly have said Sam was irresponsible for risking our key players in a fixture like this one with the relegation fight we have on our hands.

I agree to a point about the bench strength but it's hardly that big an issue. The side Sam put out last night should have won comfortably, and had they performed anywhere near the levels to which they should have done then there's no way you would have made such an issue here. The fault was much more with the players, I'd say Sam's biggest error was putting two small men up front and then trying to hoof the ball up to them. That didn't make sense.

Players could get injured in ANY game. They're no more likely to have picked up an injury last night than in any other game.

As for saying they should have won comfortably, I disagree. I feared the worst when I saw the starting line up and bench and in the final analysis we needed a set piece to see off a side 2nd from the bottom of the Blue Square Premier.

We SHOULD really have been going back to Ewood for a replay which would have been far more damaging than putting out a bit stronger side.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great close-up of 1864 and Captain Mike on TV, just before K.O. :tu:

Also made it onto the back pages of a lot of papers including a cracking shot in the Times looking at the goal.

it tw'as fliiping cold though Den, hope my text and picture made your mobile.

Tbh poor as the performance was from rovers we were a tad unlucky not to win by more than 1, Andrews miss in particular should really have wrapped up the game.

There were some positives: Zurab & Bunn looked good to me, knowing where some of the fringe players are especially the youngsters will be really helpful for Sam as well as satisfying my curiosity, and despite playing an unfamilar 11 on a dodge pitch there wasn't really any chance of an upset.

The negatives: other than the above players, no one looked very good. Now in defence we all would probably agree before hand that Simpson can go back to Utd, Mokoena is dodge at the back (a couple of great pieces of defending were coupled with some very bad bits of defending) and that Olsson isn't there yet, so there's no real suprise.

What was disappointing was the midfield. Especially Grella and Vogel - given the pedegree of these players and the quality of the oposition these guys should've utterly dominated the game. Ok they're defensive midfielders and thus less eyecatching than their more attacking counterparts, but nevertheless, in this type of game they should have utterly dominated the opposition and torn them apart with their passing and didn't. That they didn't was really disappointing as I was hoping that at least one would step into the injury ravaged midfield and give it some quality. Hopefully a lack of fitness played its part in this.

As for up front - Carlos as the talent but really needs to bulk up and be quicker for the prem. As you can't really work on your pace, I'm not sure rovers is the right club for him and the guy is really a case of a square peg in a round hole. We won't play a system that suits him, and I can't see him being quick or strong enough to make it at rovers. Hope I'm wrong and the guys definately got talent but I can't see it myself.

The big bad ugly Sam I feared we would see....

For large spells last night I thought Rovers were deeply embarrassing. The number of times we gave the ball away was shocking. On too many occasions the ball was hoofed forward aimlessly with no semblance of quality.

Particularly towards the end of the match it became a case of Rovers just hoofing the ball forward to Jason Roberts and hoping for the best. Invariably these ugly tactics often result in giving the ball back to the opposition.

Irrespective of whether we are playing Manchester United or Blyth Spartans, a Premiership team like ourselves should be able to keep hold of the ball much better than we did last night. I don't think that the surface of the pitch should be used as an excuse for persistent bad passing. Quality players are able to adapt to different surfaces and are still able to play good football.

Either the tactics and the training from the Rovers management is wrong or the players in our first team squad are simply technically not good enough to play a decent passing game. In which case Rovers desperately need to have a few more technically gifted players within the squad. The number of times that Mokoena, for example, gives the ball away, has gone beyond a joke.

Whilst I certainly wanted Paul Ince sacked (I believe he should have been sacked much earlier than the Rovers board decided on) , what perhaps differentiates me from some board members on here is that I wasn't doing cartwheels and jumping for joy when Big Sam was appointed. I didn't think that Sam was going to be the knight in shining armour, riding a white horse, and the saviour to suddenly cure all our ills.

I can't easily forget the deeply ugly and unattractive football that Bolton often served up during Sam's eight years in charge there. I accept that Premiership survival is of paramount importance but I believe we'll have a better chance of surviving in the Premiership if the players learn that it's preferable to pass to a team-mate rather than hoofing the ball forward aimlessly.

In recent seasons a number of teams in the Premiership who have tried to copy Bolton's ugly long-ball approach have failed and were relegated - Watford, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace, for example. We also shouldn't forget that in the 2002/03 season Bolton only survived by the skin of their teeth on the final day of the season. Bolton's subsequent history and indeed Sam's managerial career afterwards could have been very different if Bolton had failed to beat Middlesbrough on the last day of the 2002/03 season.

On Monday night the one player who provided a touch of class with his free-kick was promptly hauled off the pitch by Big Sam. While Carlos lacks pace, he does have a bit of skill and flair to unlock a defence. He doesn't appear to be Sam's type of player though. If the substitution of Carlos had happened a minute earlier, we might have ended up drawing the game 0-0.

And if the Blyth player Andrew Wright had converted the good chance he had late in the game, the result could have been different and humiliating.

Although Rovers were not completely humiliated on Monday, it was certainly embarrassing at times. If the type of ugly football we saw on Monday night is a taster of things to come, then it's going to be a very rough, bumpy and unattractive ride over the coming years.

Whilst I'm aware that after the shambolic start Rovers made this season under Paul Ince, that Premiership survival has become the most important thing this year, I also feel that in the coming years Rovers fans who pay for their tickets are also entitled to some entertainment and to see some quality football being played.

Under Big Sam I fear that we are not going to get that.

Big Sam impressed by Grella and Treacy.

Good grief. If Sam was impressed by those two then I'd suggest that he's easily pleased as a manager.

The way rovers struggled last night, is the reason why non/lower league teams beat Prem teams. Play those games on a large, nicely grassed, flat pitch anywhere and the Prem team will win every time.

Not one Premiership team has been beaten by a non-League team since the Premiership was formed in 1992, Den. The last non-League team to beat a top-flight side in the FA Cup was Sutton United beating Coventry 2-1 in the 1989 3rd Round.

In the last 50 years - going back to the time when you were in short trousers Den - there have been only four occasions where a top flight team has been beaten by a non-League team in the FA Cup.

These are:

1972: Hereford United (Southern League) 2 Newcastle United 1. 3rd Round replay

1975: Burnley 0-1 Wimbledon (Southern League). 3rd Round

1986: Birmingham City 1 Altrincham 2. 3rd Round

1989: Sutton United 2 Coventry City 1. 3rd Round.

You'll note that on two of those four occasions Den, the top flight team were at home - not away.

Also, if you define "lower league" as being a team in a division lower than the Premiership, could you explain why Barnsley beat Liverpool on the nicely grassed, flat pitch at Anfield in the FA Cup last season?

You appeared to suggest that this never happens.

What Sam learned last night was that several players can kiss their Rovers shirts good bye.

A number of them clearly showed they are not good enough.

If Treacy thinks his performance is going to get him in the first 11 he is wrong, the same for Olsson, Simpson and Derbyshire.

Carlos is too lightweight. Granted, he has skill to burn but it is not enough for this season.

Grella showed some neat touches but had no midfield support.

Judge just didnt get in the game. Vogel ? I hardly noticed him on the pitch and was shocked at his effort or lack of it.

I think we can confidently say tara to at least 4 of them.

• Backroom

People really are over reacting, yes a Premiership team should walk over a team so far below us but the fact is it wasn't a Premiership team from us last night it was a reserve 11.

The following first team regulars were missing:

Robinson

Samba

nelsen

warnock

emerton

ooijer

dunn

tugay

reid

pedersen

mccarthy

santa cruz

Now really does the result have any real signifigance towards Sams rovers team?

Four games under Sam have produced two wins and two draws. We tried the bright and breezy all out football of Messrs Ince, Knox and Mathias and look were that got us. Sam is a pragmatist. He will do whatever it takes to bring success. We don't have the money to go out and buy players who can produce the type of football that some fans crave. We have to become difficult to beat and have a team of players who will work hard to prevent better players from playing.

Sam did it at Bolton and he shows signs of doing it here. I’d much rather watch functional football in the Premiership than witness a slow decline into administration following relegation. I’m now going to matches, particularly away matches, actually believing that we will get a result. The fact that Sam was prepared to use his squad last night rather than pick the first eleven shows that he has his priorities in the right place. I was more than happy to watch a “second eleven” last night if it helps us get a point on Saturday. I will be more than happy to watch a similar approach at Sunderland if Premier League points follow.

For a club with such limited resources like the Rovers, Sam’s approach would appear to be ideal. He was always my first choice for manager and I can’t say I have been disappointed. He has a tough job on his hands to keep us up after the “adventure” with Mr. Ince. But at least Sam gives us a chance of Premiership survival and then building upon it next season.

This is the Sam I longed to see at Ewood Park!

. If the type of ugly football we saw on Monday night is a taster of things to come, then it's going to be a very rough, bumpy and unattractive ride over the coming years.

Who cares, as long as it's the Prem and we win more than we lose ?

Or would you rather watch nice attractive football in the championship or League One ?

You really are a berk at times.

Who cares, as long as it's the Prem and we win more than we lose ?

Bingo. Everyone should remember this. Old Trafford playing kick and chase or total football at Gresty Road? No brainer.

We don't have the resources for anything better.

Players could get injured in ANY game. They're no more likely to have picked up an injury last night than in any other game.

As for saying they should have won comfortably, I disagree. I feared the worst when I saw the starting line up and bench and in the final analysis we needed a set piece to see off a side 2nd from the bottom of the Blue Square Premier.

We SHOULD really have been going back to Ewood for a replay which would have been far more damaging than putting out a bit stronger side.

Absolute and utter rubbish. Those three factors are three very good reasons why they were more likely to be injured that night in particular. Maybe you feared the worst, but you have a team of professionals, with several players on that team (Vogel, Grella, Derbyshire, Zurab, Villanueva) who in particular were utterly incomparable to anything on that Blyth team on paper. Remember where Blyth are in the grand scheme of things for Christ's sakes. The way they performed in the end was very poor, and I do think that Sam's tactics had a part to play here, but critcising him for resting our key players in a game like this when we're in a relegation dogfight is complete madness. Had we been playing Championship opposition it would've been a different story.

And no, if Blyth weren't who they were, we would've said we deserved to be at least 2-0. Not excusing our performance as it was very poor, but we had far more chances, made their keeper work more and had that been two equal sides playing you would've said we had much the better of the play. No badge of honour, that's for sure but that's the way it was.

Ince could have told you about Vogel months ago

:)

Give it up.

We could have told you about Ince long ago.

Vogel was indeed poor but the man hadn't played a game all season pretty much. Last season Hughes signed him after he hadn't played for a year, put in a couple of shockers and then finished the season with two or three very good games, especially vs Man U.

Ince promptly doesn't pick him this season, doesn't even put him on the bench (which suggests something was afoot for a man of his pedigree) and now he has his first game after not playing for ages again. Sure it was against Blyth, but it was a match where most of the team were poor.

We don't have the resources for anything better.

Rubbish, of course we do.

We may not be the richest club in the Premiership but in global terms we are comparatively wealthy. And there is no bar to far less well off clubs than ourselves playing good football.

Sure we might have to kick, fight, scrap and battle our way out of trouble this season any way we can but as with Hughes I hope that won't be the modus operandi next season if we survive.

Rubbish, of course we do.

We may not be the richest club in the Premiership but in global terms we are comparatively wealthy. And there is no bar to far less well off clubs than ourselves playing good football.

Sure we might have to kick, fight, scrap and battle our way out of trouble this season any way we can but as with Hughes I hope that won't be the modus operandi next season if we survive.

From the three games under Sam, the first team have been quite bright and inventive at times when attacking. Not all kick and chase as was expected.

i still like vogel

on a proper pitch though

at the end of last season he looked our best midfielder, his last 3 or 4 games of the season

just needs another run

I'm not sure that playing two deep sitting, defensive midfielders is ever likely to work all that well. Either partnering Dunny would make for a better 'fit' in the middle.

We may not be the richest club in the Premiership but in global terms we are comparatively wealthy. .

Revidge, I agree that we should've put a stronger side out last night (although we still won, and I'd expect a stronger side at Sunderland).

But Rovers ... comparatively wealthy? Are you having a laugh?

Having an overdraft, and having all of your income swallowed up by costs to the extent that you have to be subsidised, is not my definition of "wealthy".

Perhaps you meant that Rovers are "comparatively almost in the black".

Hi Blackburn supporters, thought you might be interested in hearing from a Blyth supporter.

It seemed Blackburn were intent on doing as little as possible and were quite content with holding the one goal advantage. That said I wonder what would have happened had we not given away that silly free kick. Also have to wonder what was going through your players heads up until that goal - confident that enough posession would eventually lead to a goal/happy to settle for a draw/panicking???

This gave us the chance to hit back in a way I don't think Big Sam was expecting, have to admit I was pleasantly surprised at the way we stepped up late on and made sure Blackburn had something to worry about.

Hope you enjoyed your night in Blyth, hopefully enough to get a nice money spinning pre-season friendly ;)

it certainly looked like Spartans came out of the tie with credit in all aspects. Ok we were there with a weakened team but they had about 150 international caps between them in addition to the current u-21 players. Some of the weaknesses were unavoidable; suspensions and injuries so in reality only about 6 of the selections were optional choices.

Good luck- here's hoping both sides survive our delegation battles.

Allardyce really doesn't have much time for cup football does he?

The real worry, for me, comes if he tries to turn us into Bolton Rovers, with 4-5-1 and kick and rush tactics.

Yes, I want Rovers to stay in the Prem - but I don't want us to be hoof merchants sprinkled with flagging veteran spark. And I certainly don't want Allardyce hauling over random French loanees for two games here and there. Sure, right now we're desperate and anything goes but, longer term, I'd like to think that our team can develop some continuity, play decent football and, perhaps, have a few homegrown players involved. Pie in the Allardyce Sky?

As someone who likes to think that our academy and reserves can one day be of some use, I am worried about the impact Allardyce will have. At Bolton, he didn't bring through many youngsters. And, the example of Ricardo Vaz Te scares me a bit because Allardyce seemed to fail in nurturing what was once a really exciting talent.

Going back to the Blyth game, the players that came out with credit, for me, were: Bunn (great kicking), Zurab (confident and positive), Judge (quietly assured) and Treacy (still not good enough for me but Allardyce would've noted his readiness to drift in-field and go for goal), Vince Grella (solid).

Archived