BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City V Blackburn Rovers

I put that forward for discussion Speeeedie? Firstly, do all coaches know more about every player than any fan? - yes or no?

The answer can't possibly be yes, can it? I mean, has no manager ever played players who the general fan knew was lacking?

PS, Speeeedie, maybe you thought I said "They also know more about the game than Trapattoni"?

I think you must have a pretty high opinion of your own football knowledge when you consider that your understanding of the quality of the player is better than Trapatoni, Paul Ince and Allardyce! Especailly considering the last one of those is a guy who is an established Premiership manager and sees Keith and his competitors for a berth every day in training.

Den, no one is arguing with you in terms of the fact we need better. I am sure Sam would have loved to pick up some quality in the window in that position (hence the interest in Bullard). But currently we do not have better. Keith Andrews is the best we have, and he is trying his hardest. Why not get behind him until the summer, give him your support, and keep an open mind? And then we can try and get someone else in. Those who boo him are achieving nothing except damaging the brittle confidence of a player who knows that he is out of his depth. How is that useful? How is that even sane considering where we are in the table?

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give over lad, how do you expect Messi to cope with MGP already cemented in the left wing/midfield berth ?

:D

I suppose he could play in the games where MGP has been suspended for kicking people. Who knows - if he performs he could even be used in FA Cup matches when we're resting people. Not seen the chap in the flesh, but I'd imagine he's got to be as good as Treacy, if not even slightly better!

I think you must have a pretty high opinion of your own football knowledge when you consider that your understanding of the quality of the player is better than Trapatoni, Paul Ince and Allardyce!

Not another one. Where exactly did I say that? I asked a question - "do all coaches know more about all players than any fan?". I await your reply.

Those who boo him are achieving nothing except damaging the brittle confidence of a player who knows that he is out of his depth. How is that useful? How is that even sane considering where we are in the table?

Why are you asking me? Hope you're not suggesting that I boo anyone?

Den, no one is arguing with you in terms of the fact we need better. I am sure Sam would have loved to pick up some quality in the window in that position (hence the interest in Bullard). But currently we do not have better. Keith Andrews is the best we have, and he is trying his hardest. Why not get behind him until the summer, give him your support, and keep an open mind?

I was behind him yesterday at Hull, were you?

Having been at the game yesterday i think people are being a bit kind to Andrews

He was caught in possession numerous times, really cannot tackle without fouling and gave away a dangerous free kick in exactly the same style as the man utd game

that said he made a great run for the goal

all in all though he still doesnt bring much to the team, hes just useful backup at best

Spot on.

If anyone thinks Andrews is a premiership midfielder they are seriously deluded.

I also have my doubts about Grella, who takes far too long on the ball, as though he is still in Serie A. I'll give him time to 'adapt' though.

The fact of the matter is that with a 5 man midfield you should dominate that area, we didn't.

The result yesterday was good yes, the performance certainly wasn't!

The back four and goalkeeper were the one's that won us that game, not the midfielders.

It WAS two midfielders that scored the goals Den. :rover:

As for Keith Andrews I don't need Trappatoni, Merson or Uncle To Cobbley to tell me that he tries hard enough but that he is too lightweight and brings very little to the party. As they say 'God loves a tryer'....... along with half the members on here it seems. :rolleyes:

It WAS two midfielders that scored the goals Den. :rover:

As for Keith Andrews I don't need Trappatoni, Merson or Uncle To Cobbley to tell me that he tries hard enough but that he is too lightweight and brings very little to the party. As they say 'God loves a tryer'....... along with half the members on here it seems. :rolleyes:

Yep, and every credit to 'em. IMO though, Diouff [second half especially] and Ped before he got sent off, were the better performers overall. The game wasn't made for midfield play though Gord, - too little quality on view, too many high balls and too much at stake.

Let's get this straight shall we? The object of my post was to point out the unfairness in the treatment being handed out to Keith Andrews by a lot more than just a few people who profess to be true Rovers supporters.

The point I was and still am making is that since Rovers first found themselves in the upper stratosphere of British football i.e. the EPL there have been a fair sprinkling of "journeymen" midfielders utilised and most of them cost Rovers far more in transfer fee and wages than Andrews. But in spite of this indisputable fact I cannot remember even one case of any of these others coming in for as much abuse and ridicule on a sustained basis, or by as many detractors as poor Andrews has had. WHY??????? What has Andrews done to deserve this? We all know his limitations, but he at least does show some commitment and effort and he is NOT as bad as some people have made out. He makes an effort in every game he plays; not ALL our players by any means can honestly say that.

Why can't those of you that have hardly a good word for him give the lad a break? We all know he has his limitations and so do the manager and the coaches that work with him every day, but they also know that as things stand at present, like it or not, he is almost our only option, and as such he is in the team and wearing the shirt. For this he DESERVES some respect, and not constant carping critiscism which can only have ONE result.......destuction of the lad's confidence and thence the team lose yet another player that actually gives his all.

The message is plain to all...... GET OFF HIS BACK and give him a chance!!!!!!!!!!

This is what i cannot understand either, with regards to Andrews. If Ince didnt play him, people would have said Ince just brought him to make up the numbers. He plays,again nothing special but he does his best. Imo there should be more criticism towards guys like Gamst and Roberts who have been in this league far longer, but put in too many inconsistent performances.

Let's get this straight shall we? The object of my post was to point out the unfairness in the treatment being handed out to Keith Andrews by a lot more than just a few people who profess to be true Rovers supporters.

The point I was and still am making is that since Rovers first found themselves in the upper stratosphere of British football i.e. the EPL there have been a fair sprinkling of "journeymen" midfielders utilised and most of them cost Rovers far more in transfer fee and wages than Andrews. But in spite of this indisputable fact I cannot remember even one case of any of these others coming in for as much abuse and ridicule on a sustained basis, or by as many detractors as poor Andrews has had. WHY??????? What has Andrews done to deserve this? We all know his limitations, but he at least does show some commitment and effort and he is NOT as bad as some people have made out. He makes an effort in every game he plays; not ALL our players by any means can honestly say that.

Why can't those of you that have hardly a good word for him give the lad a break? We all know he has his limitations and so do the manager and the coaches that work with him every day, but they also know that as things stand at present, like it or not, he is almost our only option, and as such he is in the team and wearing the shirt. For this he DESERVES some respect, and not constant carping critiscism which can only have ONE result.......destuction of the lad's confidence and thence the team lose yet another player that actually gives his all.

The message is plain to all...... GET OFF HIS BACK and give him a chance!!!!!!!!!!

Give him a chance? He's had a chance now for God's sake. Anyone who knows anything about football will tell you he's awful!

Not blaming Andrews: I'm arguing that our central midfield has been the main reason we're in this mess. The fault for that lies with Paul Ince, the owners, and possibly Sam Allardyce.

Andrews was signed to be 5th choice (if not 6th). I'm not happy (and I'm sure most of us aren't) that he has had to play so many matches. That being said, I can't think of too many other players who would have been willing to come here with the plans of having a backup role and ended up being more effective as he has been.

Den - if you think we could have bought better under these circumstances, I'd love to hear who you'd suggest we should have signed (not getting into the whole argument that we should have been going for another starter, because you probably can't get one for 800k). Really the criticism that should be given is that we bought Grella and thought that he and Dunn could stay healthy enough, not that we bought Andrews.

Strange that Mokoena hasn't had to put up with the barrage received by Andrews - and Moko is an inferior footballer and has made more crucial errors on the pitch.

Give Andrews time. Football is a confidence game (as long as you have the requisite threshold level of talent). Darren Fletcher was disliked by Man U fans and rightfully so, he was darn average and Ferguson seemed to pick him as the token Scotsman at Man U.

Now, Fletcher is playing like a world-beater (or something approaching).

Now that is an analogy, not a direct comparison. However, I think Andrews will only get better. If he slows down and starts approaching the game with more composure he can undergo a Fletcher/P.Neville type transformation.

Den - if you think we could have bought better under these circumstances, I'd love to hear who you'd suggest we should have signed (not getting into the whole argument that we should have been going for another starter, because you probably can't get one for 800k). Really the criticism that should be given is that we bought Grella and thought that he and Dunn could stay healthy enough, not that we bought Andrews.

American, I'm not getting into all this again, I've had enough of being misquoted. As for the Hull game, one last attempt - there isn't one quote from me, anywhere, highlighting Andrews's performance as being worse than any other midfielders. My comments were about the midfield in general not affecting the game. Simple reason being that It was a game of long, high balls. Nothing much either midfield could do about it.

Other people have taken offence to that, thinking it was an attack on KA. Then we get the "well Paul Merson, Ince, Trappatoni rate him " "stop criticising him and get behind him" etc, etc. posts. - and off we go.

I have read through Dens posts, and i have to apologise to him. He doesnt refer to Andrews much besides his performance in yesterdays game. Fair play Den!

Thank you Iceman. Much appreciated.

And mostly Mark Hughes as Bentley was always going. We were crap there last season and all Hughes could think of from Christmas on was leaving. Ince inherited a problem. He didn't make it.

Ince inherited a problem and did not have enough acumen / nous / authority to cope with it! :angry2: Bentley and Freidel were under long contracts. SA showed how to handle the situation this Jan with RSC and City. Villa handled it with Barry, Boro with Downing, MU with Ronaldo etc etc. We witnessed 3 years of Hughes not letting anyone leave until he had adequate or better cover lined up. Yet our best players were allowed to leave without a fight and replaced by infinitely poorer replacements. That is fact, and coupled with poor management is exactly why we are now fighting desperately for our Prem existence. I'd bet that the summer sales of our stars would have had a different outcome but for the oiks on facebook and a moment of deluded fancy by our Chairman. The Premiership is an unforgiving environment and we should know that as well as anybody.

If we'd have signed someone better than him, we would be in a far better position now, wouldn't we?

The argument for his two goals and his displays, is an argument for accepting mediocrity.

Mr. Paranoid,

This is the post to which I was referring when I specifically mentioned you. Please tell me any spot in my post where I said that you thought Andrews was worse than of our other midfielders yesterday?

Cheers!

Mr. Paranoid,

This is the post to which I was referring when I specifically mentioned you. Please tell me any spot in my post where I said that you thought Andrews was worse than of our other midfielders yesterday?

Cheers!

You didn't. What's your point?

I am happy for Keith. He got his goal, and still gets stick? You can criticise him, but PLEASE not at the match, thats just stupid. He tries his hardest and actually does OK. You should be booing Sam for playing him, if anybody.

The Rovers fans who boo Andrews, groan when he gets the ball, comes on, goes off, misplaces a pass or whatever are the people that are putting me off watching Rovers right now. I've only missed a couple of games all season but decided to not go to Hull or Man Utd after hearing the quite sad and pathetic abuse that Keith Andrews got when he came on against Coventry. He was booed by a number of so called fans and some fans were going as far as to scream things such as ' (Please don't use that word again) off you useless ######' etc etc along with the odd reference to Paul Ince alongside. I think he isnt the best player in the premierleague, but is Brett Emerton, was Steven Reid? Are even the likes of David Dunn, or MGP that great compared to Andrews? I think he works hard, gets in good positions either attacking or defending and generally reads the game well. I feel for the lad and think some fans are blinded by the fact he cost 800k from MK Dons, when in fact, he is doing perfectly well in helping us get out of this mess.

Archived