BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City V Blackburn Rovers

But thank god he is a Premiership player though eh - our Premiership player. Because without him (and his goals) we'd be a far worse position than we are in now.

If we'd have signed someone better than him, we would be in a far better position now, wouldn't we?

The argument for his two goals and his displays, is an argument for accepting mediocrity.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But who exactly is Andrews keeping out of the side? Mokoena couldn't possibly play alongside Grella, and Vogel fell into a worm-hole circa August 2008. We're also a team trying to scrape points wherever they come. We're hardly playing above ourselves with a consistent midfield.

I have nothing against the man, but I don't think he is good enough to play week-in week-out in the PL. His performances have often been anonymous for us, and he also can't tackle for toffee. He conceded the free-kick for Man. Utd's winner, and almost did the same for Hull yesterday.

More people than Andrews were to blame for Utd's second goal - it's weird how you only apportion blame to him though - that's the reverse halo effect.

As for Hull's freekick well that's academic - if Giovani's touch had been better in the first half then he would have scored and that was Grella's fault for not picking up his run and Oijers for failing to intercept the pass (and that would have certainly turned the game completely around). Grella went completely missing for Villa's corner when Milner scored at Ewood I seem to recall. All players make mistakes. I'd say Andrews makes far less than Grella though and they don't affect the game as directly. Grella ain't scoring any goals like Keith is either - and he cost far more.

If Andrews isn't a Premiership player than Grella certainly isn't either - and he cost five times as much and I'd bet his wages are considerably higher as well.

In our current situation we should thank the lord we have Andrews as our player

I think we paid over the odds for Grella, since I doubt we'll see anything like a £4m return on him. However, he is a better player than Andrews, if only he could keep himself fit. He's also mixed it in Serie A, whereas Andrews has never made it into the Prem until Ince played favourites.

It would be terribly fickle of me to start praising Andrews based on a couple of goals, when I still witness below par performances from him.

I thought Keith Andrews had a very effective game and did a very professional job.

Hi did well with the goal and has got into those positions before - it's a strength of his. As for having a "very effective game", then look no further than the goalkeepers and the back four. Both keepers did well enough, the back four were superb. It took Ooijer 15 minutes or so to get to grips with Kilbane, which he did and that resulted in Kilbane being subbed not long after half time. Samba was superb. He, along with Nelsen nulled everything Hull could throw at them, and that was considerable seeing that Hull are a bit like Stoke the way their game is built around getting the ball into the area at every opportunity. Just to think that some of the fans on here were wanting Samba out of the club a month or two back! Givet coped admirably with all comers down the left flank.

So, if I had to pick out anyone from the midfield, it would have to be Diouff, who improved as the game went on and should have had a penalty as shown on Sky's football first. He was still being fouled by the full back in the area. Amazingly, the most biased commentator I've ever heard, said because the first offence was outside the area, it shouldn't be a penalty! The same commentator said Pedersen should have got a straight red for elbowing the Hull player who got sent off! Pedersen did well in midfield as well.

So, as for Andrews being effective, apart from the goal he wasn't [iMO]. Simply because midfield was pretty much by-passed all afternoon, by both sides. The defenders were the effective ones.

I would rather have an overpaid lazy international midfielder with a lot of prem experience not ready to bleed for the blue and white halves in the relegation battle, because he knows he can get something better than Keith Andrews.

BTW, Nelsen's distribution is awful.

Hi Jon, and I'm not being funny here, but do you watch the Rovers in the flesh?

Yes I do - I have a season ticket and get to the odd away game.

Here's the thing though; Big Sam obviously rates him and Giovanni Trappatoni (arguably the greatest club manager ever) rates him. Football journalists also apparently think he's doing a decent job.

What's going on there then?? Why does Giovanni Trappatoni rate him based on his Rovers performances if he's as bad as you make out?

It's a mystery innit!

Hi did well with the goal and has got into those positions before - it's a strength of his.

So, as for Andrews being effective, apart from the goal he wasn't [iMO]. Simply because midfield was pretty much by-passed all afternoon, by both sides.

That's exactly how Allardyce likes to play. The last thing BFS wants from his central midfielders is standing around doing fancy dan passing; he wants players with engines who can get up and down all day, play simple balls, challenge for the 2nd balls that RSC or the defender heads down, and arrive in the 6 yard box. We have no-one else who can do that - not even close. I think we'll be seeing him pick Andrews certainly until the end of the season if not beyond.

So, as for Andrews being effective, apart from the goal he wasn't [iMO]. Simply because midfield was pretty much by-passed all afternoon, by both sides. The defenders were the effective ones.

Weird because Paul Merson singled Andrews out for praise on Sky Sports News, not the defenders.

You'd think Paul knows a bit about football as well!

This just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

I thought that Andrews was okay. He was better than Grella on the day, kept working, and you do have to say he has contributed more than Dunn this sdeason just by the virtue of being fit! At one point he did an excellent drag back to beat a tackler and then sprayed the ball wide. A bit of quality is there.

However it was obvious that he was a yard behind the pace, and rarely looked like winnig the ball in the middle of the park when Hull had posession. It is without doubt that he will be on the bench next season after we sign someone but he does not deserve some of the stick he gets. He tries which is more than many who have turned out for us recently. It is also apparent to me that we will play 451/433 for the rest of the season and Andrews will play every game unless Dunn is fit and Warnock shows the same ability in midfield as he did yesterday. So you might as well get used to him and will him on to do well. That the fans are on his back hardly helps a guy who is trying to acclimatise to a new depth. We are shooting ourselves in the foot.

3319786936_20b22277eb.jpg Rovers fans in the sun at the KC ...

Is that where you where Tris or did you borrow the photo?

As Tris says was a good day out in the sun. Had a couple of swift ones in the Brickmakers before the game then ambled onto the ground - decent ground as well and certainly compared to the old Boothferry - looks pretty impressive and bigger from the outside than when you get to your seat - much better than notlob's anyway and also situated in the middle of a park of sorts. Mate got club text of the line up and you could see the way Sam was going with reliance on the wingers.

Don't try to to read to much into the game as has been said it was two poor sides - not sure the rest did Rovers any good as it certainly didn't show and they tried to do what every other Rovers team has done in my time and that is just about give every Rovers fan a heart attack with the inability to kill games off from from an advantage, also I don't think Hull realise they could be in real trouble if they aren't already. Ref didn't do any team any favours

Not sure we deserved the win on the balance but we took our chances and that is what mattered.

Now the enigma of Andrews - as Tris says a much improved performance considering but showed the probable reason he is probably in the team ahead of the likes of Mokoena and that's his ability to be in the right place and that he covers alot of ground. Thinking wise and abilty he is certainly not what you would call 'premiership' and was caught lacking at times yesterday.

Pedersen /Diouf - thought they where terrific yesterday and without these on the pitch is when we had no output and was backs to the wall time- difficult to say about Pedersens sending off but it looked a yellow just a shame about is first - crossing was stil a bit poor though but nonetheless played well. Diouf needed to be taken off before he ate Dawson' for ripping his shorts.

Satna Cruz - not sure if it was him due to the mispelling ;) or lack of support/service - certainly did not look interested for his standards imo.

Warnock - was woeful upto his goal but was the driving force with Pedersen and Diouf.

Samba /Nelsen - solid and a bit more commanding than I feel they have been this season. Nelsen distribution still poor though and still feel he is our weaklink at the back.

Givet - solid without being spectacular but I like this guy - hope we can get him at the end of the season.

Oojer - again coped with what was thrown at him, a few scary moments but without the cock ups.

Grella -mopped up and got stuck in - could have had his own red for a cheeky kick at one of their players.

Robbo - as Tris says - made a couple of great saves even though they where pulled up beforehand unknown to him. brave going for the challenge in what he got injured but thought he was in two minds going at first and hence was a bit slow imo which may have been why he got injured.

Just going back to the ref - as mentioned didn't do either team any favours but for those that went I think we can see there is some sort of bias against Roberts and his strength - the freekick that went against him just after he came on, for effectively just standing and holding his ground was ridiculous officiating.

FANS - decent following and when we finally got into voice good banter with the Hull fans- the £2 pound an hour as has already been posted, was the Rovers contribution for the 'no show' of the stewards against Millwall and also the ejection of the Rovers fans plaything 'We want our monkey back'.

Easy getting away also after the match.

So a good day out with a victory to boot - just need to make sure we take it forward now.

Weird because Paul Merson singled Andrews out for praise on Sky Sports News, not the defenders.

You'd think Paul knows a bit about football as well!

This just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

OK, think about this argument.

The rovers fans who actually watch rovers, week in, week out, know more about Keith Andrews strengths and weaknesses than Paul Merson does.

They also know more about the same than Trapattoni. Plus we all know about the lack of options for Allardyce.

The rovers fans who actually watch rovers, week in, week out, know more about Keith Andrews strengths and weaknesses than Paul Merson does.

They also know more about the same than Trapattoni. Plus we all know about the lack of options for Allardyce.

And Trapattoni tbh.

Here's the thing though; Big Sam obviously rates him and Giovanni Trappatoni (arguably the greatest club manager ever) rates him. Football journalists also apparently think he's doing a decent job.

What's going on there then?? Why does Giovanni Trappatoni rate him based on his Rovers performances if he's as bad as you make out?

It's a mystery innit!

I don't know of any Rovers fans who feel the same way as you Jon. Most the regular posters here don't have mush time for the lad either.

And playing for Ireland, at the moment, isn't the hallmark of a decent player.

I don't know of any Rovers fans who feel the same way as you Jon. Most the regular posters here don't have mush time for the lad either.

And playing for Ireland, at the moment, isn't the hallmark of a decent player.

I agree with Jon.

I have seen many decent performances from Keith Andrews since he signed. I also like players who are willing to fight for the blue and white halves.

Quotes from the Norwegian Supporter clubs fora:

- Andrews has been an important player for us this year. The only one not injury prone and staying fit. Dunn / Grella is better, but always injured.

- Fills the role as squad player and has featured a lot of games this both under Ince and Sam.

- I think he is decent. Did a save on the line against Newcastle today, but if we ought to become a top-10 premiership side we need to get better quality.

- Impressed me more than dissapointed me taken my expectations into consideration.

- I applaud his effort, but he hasn't the quality needed.

Split opinions among the Norwegian as well.

The hero no-one loves

Just going back to the ref - as mentioned didn't do either team any favours but for those that went I think we can see there is some sort of bias against Roberts and his strength - the freekick that went against him just after he came on, for effectively just standing and holding his ground was ridiculous officiating.

The lino flagged for that, it wasn't down to the ref.

It's a mystery innit!

Trappatoni picking him for Ireland doesn't mean he's good enough for us. Andrews' partner last time he started was Glen Whelan, and he can't even get in the starting eleven at Stoke.

That wouldn't be the same Rovers fans who'd made their minds up about Andrews before he'd kicked a ball for us would it? Fans who thought that since Andrews came from the lower divisions he'd never be good enough?

And lo and behold they're still sticking with that view regardless of his performances, and the opinion of fellow professionals, football journalists and world class managers. All those other people must be worng (surely mad in fact) for actually thinking Andrews is putting in decent performances. Forget people who have worked in football all their lives - what do they know? Fans who see him for ninety minutes every couple of weeks (and have no other actual experience of professional football) - they're the one's who know. Not the one's who actually work and have been hugely successful in football - they're clueless.

Get real.

I would rather have an overpaid lazy international midfielder with a lot of prem experience not ready to bleed for the blue and white halves in the relegation battle, because he knows he can get something better than Keith Andrews.

Dwight Yorke? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't! But if Spragia fancies a swap deal for lardy Andy Reid then thats a different thing.

Andrews got a chance to step up to the top level and obviously took it. He appears to try his best every game and obviously want to keep us up and succeed at this level. His ability as a Premiership footballer is obviously questionable and if we want to be a decent side in this league we must find better. However anyone who has ever booed him is a complete numpty.

I went with my wife, my mate and his son and we had a belting day out. Got there just before the coaches and into the club for a couple (one for me as I was driving) at £1.60 a pint. Went into the ground where they were charging £3.20 a pint as usual, talk about rip-off Britain.

Shocking game in general, especially for the first 20 minutes. Once Warnock (who I thought was MoTM) scored the first and it felt like seconds later put the cross in for Andrews to finish a nice move it was pretty much over in the first half. Andrews is still getting canned on here. I wish people would shut up and support him and the club rather than debate whether he should be on the pitch constantly. He is playing for us regularly, get over it! His run into the box for the goal was judged to perfection. Andrews isn't a world-beater and he makes mistakes as does everybody else but for him it is the ONLY thing some people see.

Second half was over as a contest (especially after their player but his boot into Peds gonads) until the ref sent Ped off for two harsh yellows. Once that happened it was a bit of all hands to the pumps as they pressed. One well taken goal from a corner that should have been a free kick (watch the shove in the area on a Rovers defender as the ball comes in from the first corner) and Hull were chasing. We held on.

I'm off to Australia for three weeks on Wednesday so I'm hoping to come back to see us a few points clear.

Andrews is still getting canned on here. I wish people would shut up and support him and the club rather than debate whether he should be on the pitch constantly. He is playing for us regularly, get over it! His run into the box for the goal was judged to perfection. Andrews isn't a world-beater and he makes mistakes as does everybody else but for him it is the ONLY thing some people see.

Even though we won Ivan, the moaners still need to have their moan.

Can't wait to see what they'll say next season when he's club captain. :lol:

Archived