BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The 2009/10 Football Kit Thread

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spotted a couple of fans with the new shirt on yesterday down Blackburn and must say it does look a lot better than last seasons home top. Granted the despised black box makes an unwanted return but it didnt seem to stand out as much as on last seasons kit. Is the blue used on this seasons top darker than last as it looked that way? :brfc:

It would be nice if someone with art/ink experience could come up with a simple way to stain/paint/cover the black part of the Crown box in red in a permanent way that would look really good. You know it would just agitate the hell out of the Crown Paint jerks if they saw folks all over the place around town or at Ewood on home match days wearing kits with a red sponsor box. :lol:

We keep going over this - it Was Crown who wanted it, not the club, they pay the money, so we have no choice

Crown is not the only sponsor we can get Chris. I hope we dont renew our contract with them unless they sort that black box out.

If Rovers have the opportunity to renew a sponsorship contract, they do it. The deal with Crown is worth millions of pounds, a club like Rovers cannot be so petty as to 1) dictate what the company shoving millions our way puts on the shirts and 2) chose not do deal with them just because they don't like their logo.

I seem to be in a minority of one here but I really don't understand what the fuss is all about regarding the colour of the sponsor's logo. It looks OK to me, and certainly an improvement on the Bet 24 logo. It's the collar I don't like - looks cheap and tacky, but with all things 80s in vogue I suppose that's the order of the day.

Nice to see the people who are moaning about the black box telling us how they would change it.

It's a black box because the Crown logo is white. The logo is black on the white away shirt, white on black, black on white. Having a black logo on a blue and white halved shirt is not guna stand out neither is a white logo on a blue and white shirt. They're not going to change their logo to red just so it would stand out on our home shirt are they?

Would you have preferred a white box like the HSA and CIS shirts? The felt material is better by far but I'm not sure what would be worse a black box or a white box.

Either way GET OVER IT! :lol:

unfortunately, with regards to the logo, they don't have much choice.

The crown paints logo is white.

it's not JUST white. The mark that they use on their website, they chose to be white. It can be any color, and they use it in many different colors, depending on the application.

The problem with the logo being on the rovers shirt is the fact that the shirt is split in two. blue n white.

if the logo were white (without the black box), you would only be able to see half of it. while if it were black, half of it would get lost in the blue half of the shirt, making it not easily readable.

This isn't a problem on the away shirts, because the whole shirt is white. no need for a box.

while there ARE other alternatives to using a black box, (making the mark red, or putting a thin white outline around a black mark) the black box will definitely get the logo noticed and was probably the easiest/cheapest way to do it.

it's not JUST white. The mark that they use on their website, they chose to be white. It can be any color, and they use it in many different colors, depending on the application.

The problem with the logo being on the rovers shirt is the fact that the shirt is split in two. blue n white.

if the logo were white (without the black box), you would only be able to see half of it. while if it were black, half of it would get lost in the blue half of the shirt, making it not easily readable.

This isn't a problem on the away shirts, because the whole shirt is white. no need for a box.

while there ARE other alternatives to using a black box, (making the mark red, or putting a thin white outline around a black mark) the black box will definitely get the logo noticed and was probably the easiest/cheapest way to do it.

Could have used red, without a black box

Could have used red, without a black box

i agree (mentioned that at the end of my last post)

much like the lonsdale logo from years back. would look nice, but like i said, the black box was probably the cheapest and easiest solution. No colors, no complicated cutting around letters...

I remember when i first saw the black box ( i think it was for ince when he first signed.) I remember thinking that there was no way that they were gonna keep that black box and that it was just a rushed thing to get their name on the shirt that the new manager was gonna hold and that they would surely change it before the real release of the shirt. And maybe that was the birth of the black box. They rushed it to just get their name on there. Then nobody got around to changing it...

If the away kit can have a black logo on a white background, surely the home shirt can have a white box with black (or red...) text, it's not too difficult. In fact, it would even reduce the amount of ink used to print the transfer.

Everyone's a winner.

Still, it's on now, so there's little point getting upset. If the fan's forum have passed this onto the club and they've discussed it with Crown then there's bugger all anyone can do about it. At least the point has been made.

I'm not sure about the striped collar, but I think a return to red detailing is a winner.

And at the end of the day, we could have a kit like United's...

Any colour? Where have you seen the Crown Paints logo any colour? It was red on a shirt last century not this century, it was years ago when it was red, the logo has completely changed since then. It's white on blue on pretty much all the tins of paints. It's usually white on a different coloured background.

Google it > http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=f...le&resnum=1

The second part of what you said is just what I said but worded differently but you've clearly not taken the time to read what I wrote thoroughly.

Also if it was any colour why is the logo black on away shirt when the rest of the shirt is red white and blue, it would make sense to be one of them colours wouldn't it but no because it's black or white, not any other colour.

17-crown-logo.jpg

crown_paints.jpg

The second part of what you said is just what I said but worded differently but you've clearly not taken the time to read what I wrote thoroughly.

haha yea i chuckled when i posted mine and then saw that you had posted basically the same exact thing while i was typing. You just finished before me!

17-crown-logo.jpg

crown_paints.jpg

haha yea i chuckled when i posted mine and then saw that you had posted basically the same exact thing while i was typing. You just finished before me!

That green logo is the only one in a different colour, are you saying you would prefer green?

Re: Rovers Home & Away Shirts 2009/10

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Because Crown Paints corporate logo is white text on a black background.

Grooby posted the above on the official site in relation to a similar matter and you can see the corporate logo for Crown Paints on their site here.

Re: Rovers Home & Away Shirts 2009/10

Postby Lee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Because Crown Paints corporate logo is white text on a black background.

Grooby posted the above on the official site in relation to a similar matter and you can see the corporate logo for Crown Paints on their site here.

Also the green logo is from this website

http://royerringtonwb.com/paints.html

Hardly the official Crown Paints website ;)

And I would have thought Crown would want their "corporate logo" on the shirt Rovers are going to wear the most.

I'm with Lee on this one.

That green logo is the only one in a different colour, are you saying you would prefer green?

haha, calm down, my friend! We're just talking about a logo.

i'm just saying a mark is a mark. When the designer is making the logo, there are two major things: that it can be recognizable/readable at a very very small size, and that it can be printed in just black. Sometimes the mark needs its own separate version with alterations to the shape so that it can work in just black.

Anyway, the final coloring of the mark (especially a simple (and quite nice) mark like this) is never down to solely the designer. He will include recommendations of color usage and even examples of how it can be used in different places. It is then the companies (probably their in-house designers) decision on how and where to use the color. While they DO mainly stick to using simply black or white, there are cases where neither black or white really works. THE prime example of this being the blackburn rovers jersey, like we've been discussing. simply black or white doesn't really work.

And while i would prefer a black box with white lettering over the green logo, I have no doubts that the original designer of the logo cringes every time he sees that giant box on the shirt when they could easily have used red.

Archived