BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mokoena Gone!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, please, please do not do the silly and misleading thing of comparing Ooijer/Mokoena's departures to the acrimonious Santa Cruz probable departure.

It is easy to "handle" the media when you are a low-profile squad player (as Ooijer has mainly been and Moko definitely WAS) rather than when you a star, and figurehead of the team aspiring to join a massive club, like Santa Cruz.

It's just not fair.

It's like praising Mokoena for his loyalty - after all, in all his four years, he has not so much as mentioned wanting to join a Champions League club....

DUH!

Come on - keep up - it was an exclusive on Radio Rovers at about 6.30 <_<

Thanks for your entirely pointless post. I'm only as up to date as the media outlet I'm listening to or watching unfortunately, and it seemed to be news to most of the other 30-odd people who responded .... :P

Everyone is slagging him off but he did well at the DM job when we needed him in 2005...

Not the most gifted of players but I wish him well in his career. He never whinged and moaned about not being first choice. Just got on with the job ahead.

nah, nah, nah,nah-nah-nah-na-nah, The Axe - The Axe...

I remember his first goal against City in the FA Cup, heavily deflected of course.

Mokoena had a certain amount of entertainment value about just how crap he was. When Hughes brought him on at Old Trafford just after we went 2-1 up it just added to the glory of the win - the fact we did it with Arron on the field made the victory all the sweeter!

I won;t miss him - in fact ill enjoy those comedy passes all the more now he's at another team!

Cheers Moko, you'll never be remembered as a hero but you got your goal of the season and your place in our history.

You also did what was asked of you, just, and you played your part in keeping us up (twice).

All the best but hope you finish below us next season.

Please, please, please do not do the silly and misleading thing of comparing Ooijer/Mokoena's departures to the acrimonious Santa Cruz probable departure.

It is easy to "handle" the media when you are a low-profile squad player (as Ooijer has mainly been and Moko definitely WAS) rather than when you a star, and figurehead of the team aspiring to join a massive club, like Santa Cruz.

It's just not fair.

It's like praising Mokoena for his loyalty - after all, in all his four years, he has not so much as mentioned wanting to join a Champions League club....

DUH!

The difference between Ooijer/Mokoena and Santa Cruz is simple. The first two have handled their departure in a mature, professional manner and Santa Cruz has acted like a spoilt child. Ooijer is an established international with Holland and has been a regular during his time at the club. When asked to play out of position he has never grumbled but got on with it for the good of the club. Mokoena is captain of his country and while he hasn't played as much as he would like he has always given 100 per cent on the field. Both knew their contracts were coming to an end but sorted out their futures quietly while remaining committed to helping the Rovers avoid relegation. Santa Cruz on the other hand signs a new contract - no doubt for more money - and before the ink is dry is happily telling anyone who will listen that he wants to join a bigger club. I would have more respect for the guy if he had acted in the same professional manner as Andre and Aaron. It will be interesting to see who actually takes the risk of signing him in the summer and how much they are willing to pay. At best I suspect we will get a fee that is based on appearances.

I wish Aaron and Andre all the best for the future.

Rover6's point is that there hasn't been the same level of media and public attention regarding Mokoena and Ooijer leaving. Part of this is because they haven't said the same things, but it is really simply because they aren't as high profile. It makes it much easier for them to quietly leave.

The difference between Ooijer/Mokoena and Santa Cruz is simple. The first two have handled their departure in a mature, professional manner and Santa Cruz has acted like a spoilt child. Ooijer is an established international with Holland and has been a regular during his time at the club. When asked to play out of position he has never grumbled but got on with it for the good of the club. Mokoena is captain of his country and while he hasn't played as much as he would like he has always given 100 per cent on the field. Both knew their contracts were coming to an end but sorted out their futures quietly while remaining committed to helping the Rovers avoid relegation. Santa Cruz on the other hand signs a new contract - no doubt for more money - and before the ink is dry is happily telling anyone who will listen that he wants to join a bigger club. I would have more respect for the guy if he had acted in the same professional manner as Andre and Aaron. It will be interesting to see who actually takes the risk of signing him in the summer and how much they are willing to pay. At best I suspect we will get a fee that is based on appearances.

I wish Aaron and Andre all the best for the future.

Certainly pblue. And as has been done to death exactly the same applied to Neill when he left but for some reason he has become a hate figure with some.

BUT

Odd that during the walk-around Ooijer was interviewed and applauded as it was his last match too but I heard nothing mentioned about the Axe. The speakers were too loud and therefore indistinct but did I miss it?

Certainly pblue. And as has been done to death exactly the same applied to Neill when he left but for some reason he has become a hate figure with some.

BUT

Odd that during the walk-around Ooijer was interviewed and applauded as it was his last match too but I heard nothing mentioned about the Axe. The speakers were too loud and therefore indistinct but did I miss it?

I agree it was strange for it not to have been mentioned. Unless he had done the deal with Pompey but hadn't told the club! Was it certain that the club weren't still negotiating for him to stay longer and he was therefore definitely going?

I don't know whether the club knew about Aaron's move but it was not public knowledge at the end of the game. He could no doubt have said something at the time but obviously decided to announce it on Radio Rovers a bit later.

I don't know whether the club knew about Aaron's move but it was not public knowledge at the end of the game. He could no doubt have said something at the time but obviously decided to announce it on Radio Rovers a bit later.

I think the players must of known, from what I remember Aaron was walking 10 paces or so in front of the main group when they went passed the Riverside and Blackburn end.

Yes that's how I understand it. I heard in on Radio Rovers and that was the first time it was made official. Good luck Axe. Did a job for us a few seasons back and who'd have ever thought he'd score the goal of the season??

Archived