BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crossing Football Celebs

Watching CL last night and seeing Andy 'the leprechaun' Townsend reminded me of when a friend of mine recently tripped him up on the tube. He took a wee tumble over my friends luggage and was less than pleasant about the whole affair.

I once went to a Q&A session at Southampton when Dave Jones was in charge. I met him afterwards and managed to really get under his skin by wishing him luck in his new job but declaring his chairman (Rupert Lowe) was a right tit. He flew into a verbal attack on me about how was able to make such a judgmental comment when i didn't know him. I thought this was a bit strong considering i was only about 12! Anyway, needless to say i stand by my comments. I've often thought i'd like to meet Mr Jones again to see if his opinion has changed any.

This got me thinking. There must be numerous cases of fans on here having, lets say, heated discussions with the football celebs of this world.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never had a bad encounter with a footballer, but did used to right by John Stockton in Salt Lake City and had a friend who would go trick-or-treating to his house every year and he always refused to give him anything. As a 8/9 year old kid I always thought that was terrible. :D

Bumped into Matt Derbyshire last week at Blackpool Zoo - at least I think I did.

I was nearing the end of the tour and chasing my lad who was doing a runner. I had a Rovers jacket on and as I rounded a corner this bloke was stood there smiling like a mate would great you. Thinking nothing of it I looked at him (still chasing the lad) and said "alright mate" and carried on past. It then clicked who it was (At least who I think it was anyway)

He had two babies with him - does anyone know if Matty has kids?

Bumped into Matt Derbyshire last week at Blackpool Zoo - at least I think I did.

I was nearing the end of the tour and chasing my lad who was doing a runner. I had a Rovers jacket on and as I rounded a corner this bloke was stood there smiling like a mate would great you. Thinking nothing of it I looked at him (still chasing the lad) and said "alright mate" and carried on past. It then clicked who it was (At least who I think it was anyway)

He had two babies with him - does anyone know if Matty has kids?

Didn't his wife/girlfriend have twins recently?

Didn't his wife/girlfriend have twins recently?

I think they had twins over a year ago (both boys I think).

I had a run in with Alan Smith in his Leeds days outside Ewood - he threw a pen at me and threatened to kick the F$%K out of me. Lovely man.

When we won at Newcastle late season 2007-2008 and he scored the winner, didn't they do the rocking cradle celebration? Twins will be C 15 months I reckon

That's right, I was there. he came on as sub and bagged a goal just days after the birth of his twins. The players cam over to our corner of the ground doing the cradle thing.

I bumped into him in Mothercare in Blackburn a few months ago, I had a Rovers T Shirt on and he gave me that friendly grin that fellow overs fans do when your out of town and you see a Rovers shirt.

We should do all we can to keep that lad, he's Rovers through and through but you cant knock the lad for wanting regular 1st team football.

I think they had twins over a year ago (both boys I think).

I had a run in with Alan Smith in his Leeds days outside Ewood - he threw a pen at me and threatened to kick the F$%K out of me. Lovely man.

Threw a pen at you?!?

He's a hard man, then! Really tough chaps, those pen throwers are. Takes some gut to throw a pen.

Threw a pen at you?!?

He's a hard man, then! Really tough chaps, those pen throwers are. Takes some gut to throw a pen.

Yes he walked round with his new twin boys during the lap of honour at the end of the 2007-08 season. If I earned what he did I'd have been chauffeur driven to Chester Zoo. :lol:

I once met the entire Sheffield United squad at a hotel in Bergen, Norway. I believe it was in 1995, and my nine year old self became so star struck that I only managed to get Jostein Flo's autograph before I made a run for it :lol:

About a year ago, I was sitting next to the Blackburn "icon" that is Tore Pedersen on a train. He was talking on the phone during the entire trip, though, so I was unable to have a chat with him. Curiously, a friend of mine knows Tore's significant other - his boyfriend (!)

I was on a flight from London to Dublin beside Damien Duff last year, as soon as he sat down he fell asleep & when we landed his phone rang & he continued talking as he got off the plane & left the airport!! I reckon there was nobody on the other end of the line, it all just seemed very convienient that he didnt have to speak to anyone!!

Damien is very friendly. I went away to Monte Carlo last summer and on my first night in the pub he was cracking jokes with me in the toilet....don't ask. Then happily gave my a photo, we'd left the toilet by then, which is on my profile. Then continued to endulge me as I kept asking him when he would return to Ewood as a Rovers player!

Yes he walked round with his new twin boys during the lap of honour at the end of the 2007-08 season. If I earned what he did I'd have been chauffeur driven to Chester Zoo. :lol:

He still shops in his local Asda, and when I was at Frankie and Bennie's in November last year he was there with his missus having a meal. Just shows he is down to Earth. Top guy!

He still shops in his local Asda, and when I was at Frankie and Bennie's in November last year he was there with his missus having a meal. Just shows he is down to Earth. Top guy!

Well he's either down to earth or he made a pact with the devil as a teenager to have the silky skills of a premier league footballer and instead of giving him his soul he gave him his taste buds.

Not me, but my dad had to fit a new ventilation system at Hull City's training ground this season, said Phil Brown was really down to earth and was genuinely interested in the work they were doing and was telling them all about how he used to be an electrician. He also said Ashbee, Myhill and Turner came over to say Hi to them and ask what they were fitting and what it does. Said Andy Dawson went and made em all a cup of tea and Caleb Folan went over to them and started telling them jokes.

I was fortunate enough (or was i?) to meet Morten Gamst Pedersen after the Liverpool game at home this year. I was at my uncle's restaurant when he just walked in, waited for a table like any decent person would and when I talked to him he was very humble. I was shocked to find he had a near-PERFECT english accent (much better than his TV interviews) and I'm partially deaf, so that's a good judge!

Anyway, we talked and talked because we offered to get a bigger table so he and his parents (yes, thats right) could sit with us. He was more than happy to and we chatted the night away.

Just as we left, who should walk in but Rio Ferdinand!! He demanded a table straight away, began shouting and generally did not care for other people at the restaurant. What a pr***!! I have to say that the majority of rovers players (ie: all but Bentley) whom I have met have been very modest and genuinely nice people. Yet every player who has NOT played for us has generally been a stuck-up tw*t.

So glad I pay Rovers and not other clubs.

Not me, but my dad had to fit a new ventilation system at Hull City's training ground this season, said Phil Brown was really down to earth and was genuinely interested in the work they were doing and was telling them all about how he used to be an electrician. He also said Ashbee, Myhill and Turner came over to say Hi to them and ask what they were fitting and what it does. Said Andy Dawson went and made em all a cup of tea and Caleb Folan went over to them and started telling them jokes.

No wonder they nearly went down! Fannying around chatting with folk and brewing up!

Damien is very friendly. I went away to Monte Carlo last summer and on my first night in the pub he was cracking jokes with me in the toilet....don't ask. Then happily gave my a photo, we'd left the toilet by then, which is on my profile. Then continued to endulge me as I kept asking him when he would return to Ewood as a Rovers player!

Not saying hes not freindly, just got the impression he was quite shy & probably noticed i was waiting for my opertunity to talk to him!! Say him years ago walking to the bus at an Ireland game & he was on the phone as he got on the bus & looked like he was asleep when he got on!! Must be a habit!!

Had a major run in with a rugby player in Malaga a good few years back.

I was in the RN paying a visit when we were out on the lash and met up with Jonathan Davies and Martin Offiah. We ahd a good old beer drinking session but then it all got nasty mentioning the welsh, egg chasing and sheep. we ended up nose to nose and until Offiah got his big head stuck in it went off big style only for the on call Mp's to break things up.

the guy was a clown, a big head and nothing more than a welsh windbag :rolleyes:

• Backroom

This tickled me, Mattys down to earth cause he both eats and shops? I'm sure he doesn't have servants to do this for him.

Although he does always come across as a nice bloke.

Archived