BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Confederations Cup

Hi Guys

Will any of you be watching the Confed Cup in South Africa? I know England are not participating, but are there certain players or teams that you will want to see do well?

Im very much hoping South Africa can at least reach the semi final.

Fixtures

Group A

June 14

SA vs Iraq

NZ vs Spain

June 17

Spain vs Iraq

SA vs NZ

June 20

Iraq vs NZ

SA vs Spain

Group B

June 15

Brazil vs Egypt

USA vs Italy

June 18

USA vs Brazil

Egypt vs Italy

June 21

Italy vs Brazil

Egypt vs USA

Some key players to look out for

SA: Teko Modise, Steven Pienaar and Elrio Van Heerden

Brazil: Kaka, Robinho

Spain: Torres, Iniesta, Villa and Xavi

Italy: Buffon and Pirlo

Egypt: Mido, Abotrekka, Zaki and Zidan

Im not sure on NZ(would have been Nelsen) and USA(Bradley)

Apologies if there are players who havent been selected for their teams, who i have mentioned above.

Cheers

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think imy9 mentioned its on the Beeb! Going to be a fantastic tournament

Pity there are no games in Cape Town. The games will only be played at a few venues that have been upgraded for the World Cup.

What are the kick off times for these games?

Not supporting anyone in particular, but would like to see some entertaining games, if not blame Iceman for starting this thread and getting me interested! :P

Some matches will start 4pm and some at 8pm build up, 8:30pm kickoff local time. SA is 1 hour ahead of England, so your time at around 3pm and 7pm time slots.

Since Sweden bottled out in the most horrible fashion against Denmark earlier this evening I guess I'm going to have to take any football I can get :( .

The last Confederations Cup was a blast, but the participants this year doesn't really seem as strong as then... Still, it's always exiting to see the big nations and I'm also curious on South Africa's development and to see how African champions Egypt match up against their opponents.

Looking forward to it. Always a pleasure to watch international football and also a great opportunity to do some betting!

Maybe someone should start a betting recommendations thread - if this is legal?

I am really looking forward to see our guy Elrio Van Heerden in action, and since neither Argentine nor Norway are in the cup I will be cheering for SA !

Am I wrong in suggesting that Shikabala will play for Egypt? Will be nice to see that Mohammad right winger also, and see if he is any good.

Shikabala is in the squad i think. The guy people should look out for is Mohammad Aboutrika, known as the Zinedine Zidane of Egypt. He is a central midfielder, much in the mould of Xavi and a good distributer like Iniesta. He is only 22 years old, and plays for Al Ahly in Egypt. Probably Egypts best player. I still think the club should take a look at him, instead of Shikabala

So no Shikabala, but will be interesting to see Ahmed al Muhammadi, Aboutrika, and Mohammad Zidan. If we can have a look at either Aboutrika or Zidan, i think we will be really strong if we bring one of them in.

The tournament will be a quality show piece, and im hoping SA reaches the semi's and who knows maybe the final.

After 2 disappointing results for NZ, losing to Tanzania and a draw with Botswana in warm up games, I wasnt expecting us to even score a goal. But after this mornings 4-3 loss to Italy (we lead 3 times, shame Ryan wasnt there to help us hold it), and being in the same pool as Iraq, I have hopes we wont finish last in the pool as in previous cups.

As for players to watch out for, cant say many really, Chris Wood is doing well for WBA in the reserves but just resigned for them, and hopefully will get more game time now they been relegated.

After 2 disappointing results for NZ, losing to Tanzania and a draw with Botswana in warm up games, I wasnt expecting us to even score a goal. But after this mornings 4-3 loss to Italy (we lead 3 times, shame Ryan wasnt there to help us hold it), and being in the same pool as Iraq, I have hopes we wont finish last in the pool as in previous cups.

As for players to watch out for, cant say many really, Chris Wood is doing well for WBA in the reserves but just resigned for them, and hopefully will get more game time now they been relegated.

Backing New Zealand all the way with you Foxxx.

Archived