BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

I'm having the crack nicko, "They are [a] too expensive or going elsewhere or [c] still possible." tickled me.

It's driving me a bit mental right now. I have never known your club chase so many players in such a short space of time- and those are only the fraction I know about.

No complaints about their efforts, but it is confirming some fears about the current striker market.

And, you can't say 'we should have planned ahead' because that just doesn't happen.

Ask Fergie or Michael Owen. Some things happen on impulse...and in a day.

Or even Eric Cantona, the most inspired signing ever and yet a total accident.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean and not just said that we were looking at strikers to replace Derbyshire, or Benni for that matter seeing as he is being linked with moves? I hardly think it would have had much of an impact on our negotiations.

I'm struggling to make sense of the first part, apologies if it's just me. I think you mean we could have pretended the targets were Derbyshire or Benni replacements? I think Man City would know full well what we were up to if we were looking at £10 million target men on big wages. We got a hugely inflated fee for Roque, I really don't think we could have done that had we not stuck rigidly to our "he's not for sale" stance.

If it gets to 7th August and we're no nearer then fair enough, but to say it's appalling because we haven't signed a top striker by 7th July is ridiculous. It was plainly obvious it was cheap shot anyway because you started out with the sarcastic 'transfer master' line, or whatever it was. I should have just left you to it really.

You don't want to take too much notice of sky sports transfer clockwatch, they seem to just read the papers and report their findings. If Fulham and Bolton are interested in somebody they'll add us and Sunderland to the list, your better just logging on here and keeping your eye on it...

This has all apparantley come from BFS himself though, he had an interview this morning which will shortly be aired on SSN, can't be that interesting or they'd have shown it by now.

I can't see Crouch going anywhere by the way, Rovers or otherwise until Pompey's future is sorted out with the chairman and manager, he may be quite happy to stay depending on who comes in.

Like others have said though, we surely wouldn't be able to afford his wage demands and transfer fee. The only way he'd lower his demands is if he was desperate to come here which I'm pretty sure he isn't, can't see any ties to the club.

So what is the story on Janko, 6 months ago people were desperate to sign him, now it seems he is backup if we can't get anyone else, did he finish the season poorly or are people just a bit more nervous now after our flirt with relegation and the fact that he plays in a lower standard league? I'm beginning to think if 6m or so is an accurate price that he is a decent option, he obviously knows how to stick the ball in the back of the net and if we have Di Santo, Roberts, McCarthy, Samba, possibly Vieri/Hesselink, Diouf, Hoilett as backup then it's not as though our strike force will depend soley on him being a success. We can then use the other 5m or so to strengthen the creative department, although positionally we have a replacement for Bentley I still think we lack his supply, which in my opinion was more why we struggled last year, not because of our poor attack. Although it was a bit of both really.

It's driving me a bit mental right now. I have never known your club chase so many players in such a short space of time- and those are only the fraction I know about.

No complaints about their efforts, but it is confirming some fears about the current striker market.

And, you can't say 'we should have planned ahead' because that just doesn't happen.

Your spot on, that's why I don't understand people on this messageboard getting all wound up that 'we haven't signed a top class striker' and 'we should have kept RSC until we found a replacement'.

It's crazy, I think a lot of the time the media are clutching at straws and all we can really go by is what Sam say's.

It's driving me mental too, the problem is the crazy money that is being paid. Crouch £10m and £75k per week? I'm not knocking the lad but that's just silly money.

Football moves too quickly these days, I'm sure we had potential replacements being scouted but a players fee can quickly double in 3-6 months, a player can move elsewhere and become out of our range, suffer an injury, become out of form, wants more wages than initially anticipated, simply isn't interested in coming to us anymore, etc etc etc.

Like I said I have no doubt our scouting network was doing there homework and looking at players but you can't always have ready made replacements, things can change too quickly.

Besides like nicko said, we have looked at a lot of strikers recentley, now these aren't all going to be off the hook gambles, plenty of these players will be people we have looked at and considered before and are now making the next step of checking up on them again to see if any of them are still a suitable replacement and if he is in our price range.

City have bags full of money and cant seem to nail their targets (Eto, Terry, Kaka etc).

Once City and Real have calmed down, and maybe United have done abit more business then prices should come down abit.

Whats happened to that Gignac fella we were linked with? Have we enquired about him?

Are you having a laugh? The thought of him in a Rovers shirt makes me shiver...

A class act.

Should've been on the Norwegian National team.

He looks a lot like Carew. Decent technique, big and physical target man. Good header.

I'm struggling to make sense of the first part, apologies if it's just me. I think you mean we could have pretended the targets were Derbyshire or Benni replacements? I think Man City would know full well what we were up to if we were looking at £10 million target men on big wages. We got a hugely inflated fee for Roque, I really don't think we could have done that had we not stuck rigidly to our "he's not for sale" stance.

Clubs scout players all the time and make enquires, i think we could have put more time and effort into the scouting and still got the price for Roque. City were made aware in January that we wouldn't sell Roque unless we had a replacement in mind, so they knew we would need to find a striker if Roque went. I don't buy this argument at all.

If it gets to 7th August and we're no nearer then fair enough, but to say it's appalling because we haven't signed a top striker by 7th July is ridiculous. It was plainly obvious it was cheap shot anyway because you started out with the sarcastic 'transfer master' line, or whatever it was. I should have just left you to it really.

Its better to do your business early, if you wait until the end towards end of the window the price could be bumped up because they know you are desperate or you may miss out completely on the targets you want. Its got the feelings of the Bentley deal all over again...

Nicko, you reckon we have £7-8 million to spend on a striker? If so where has the rest of the money gone, it was reported we had roughly £13 million? Thought Sam wanted to get the striker situation sorted and if there was some cash left over perhaps bring in another central midfielder...

Your spot on, that's why I don't understand people on this messageboard getting all wound up that 'we haven't signed a top class striker' and 'we should have kept RSC until we found a replacement'.

Who's said that?

A class act.

Should've been on the Norwegian National team.

He looks a lot like Carew. Decent technique, big and physical target man. Good header.

Hmmm...not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. He's big and physically strong with no pace whatsoever and can't finish, even with his medicine ball sized head. He's got nothing on Carew.

didn't we get Bellamy after Hughes talked to him at someone's wedding?

Hmmm...not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. He's big and physically strong with no pace whatsoever and can't finish, even with his medicine ball sized head. He's got nothing on Carew.

I am being sarcastic.

He only has height, but you couldn't even fit an envelope under him when he jumps.

Its ridicolous how the Norwegian coach wanted him on the National team.

Exactly what people said when Bentley left

So should we spunk all our money up the wall now then on an average player, just so you don't worry?

Or should we ensure we are getting the best option.

When Bentley left, it was Ince who decided that we didn't need a replacement. Allardyce knows we need a striker, so once he has got the best option lined up, then we'll get it. How about we all realise that pre-seaosn training hasn't been going on that long, so why are people panicking?

Nicko, you reckon we have £7-8 million to spend on a striker? If so where has the rest of the money gone, it was reported we had roughly £13 million? Thought Sam wanted to get the striker situation sorted and if there was some cash left over perhaps bring in another central midfielder...

I think that is the range you were hoping to spend when you asked about players last week...but they are even more expensive than that as we speak...and other, bigger clubs are either in for them or being 'used.'

It is frustrating.

But imagine how the Rovers management feel?

Archived