BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

Any idea how much Pavel Pogrebnyak would cost, Nicko? I know this isn't the first time I've mentioned him but surely he must be a 'live' one if they aren't demanding ridiculous money for him.

Between £6-8 million perhaps?

If the situation hasn't changed, his contract will end at November. So if Bosman rule applies in Russia, they can't be asking for fortunes.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so peter crouch is top of Sam's list then, i can't see rovers paying him 70k a week on wages though

It depends what he wants, an unsure future at Pompey, not knowing what the hell is going on with the board or a good club with decent prospects.

Football is great isn't it? It's rare you see people reckon they can do most jobs better than people who do them, except football and maybe politics. "give us that scalpel you numpty I'll show you how it's done". And yet most people who are not professionally involved in the game think they know better, quoting YouTube targets and FM. Well I can fly an airbus on my pc but you wouldn't want me as your pilot going on your hols. Fact is finding a striker is tough for everyone and proven ones cost a lot. It's not going to be easy as Nicko says and blaming the management for a lack of planning is not necesarily fair.

I liked drog's suggestion about a transfer bonus but fear Hughes would have gone anyway. He made no secret of his ambition. And if utd ever come calling I reckon he'd be off like a shot again.

Prices are stupid in football at the moment but it's the same problem for everyone. We may end up with KD yet...

I suppose the issue on the Kenny story is does in invalidate Sheff U's win over PNE?

If it is the story that nicko is referring to.

Tuncay, Alves and Mido are all missing at Boro apparently. All are on wages that would make them unappealing prospects at Rovers.

I doubt it would affect that game. The only way I could see that happening is if the player was actually ineligible to play rather than a failed drugs test.

Football is great isn't it? It's rare you see people reckon they can do most jobs better than people who do them, except football and maybe politics. "give us that scalpel you numpty I'll show you how it's done". And yet most people who are not professionally involved in the game think they know better, quoting YouTube targets and FM. Well I can fly an airbus on my pc but you wouldn't want me as your pilot going on your hols.

I can't subscribe to that point of view at all. The occupations you mention involve years of education and training as well as significant amounts of scientific knowledge. Being a football manager does not. It's not as if the average man in the street can watch 10 hours of live surgery every week in order to help them form an opinion.

To suggest that the fans shouldn't criticise because they're not involved in the game is ridiculous. Myself and a few others had that argument thrown at us last Summer when the signs of the Ince disaster were looming, yet not many would argue that his "methods" are beyond reproach now, would they?

The failed drugs test could be caused by simply taking some cold medicine - he may only get a ticking off for it if he can prove it was that!

I think that is what happened, but a banned substance is a banned substance.

I think that is what happened, but a banned substance is a banned substance.

Don't the clubs/players get a list of what is banned? Makes no odds if its just cold medicine, at best he's been ill-informed, at worst stupidly negligent.

Football is great isn't it? It's rare you see people reckon they can do most jobs better than people who do them, except football and maybe politics. "give us that scalpel you numpty I'll show you how it's done". And yet most people who are not professionally involved in the game think they know better, quoting YouTube targets and FM. Well I can fly an airbus on my pc but you wouldn't want me as your pilot going on your hols. Fact is finding a striker is tough for everyone and proven ones cost a lot. It's not going to be easy as Nicko says and blaming the management for a lack of planning is not necesarily fair.

I liked drog's suggestion about a transfer bonus but fear Hughes would have gone anyway. He made no secret of his ambition. And if utd ever come calling I reckon he'd be off like a shot again.

Prices are stupid in football at the moment but it's the same problem for everyone. We may end up with KD yet...

Yes but if I bought and sold cars for a living and had a really nice, prestige, example, I wouldn't sell it and then be "surprised" at the cost of buying a new car to replace it. It would be my job to know the market, the outlay, and the costs of running the business and if I hadn't weighed up the market beforehand, I would deserve to go out of business.

RSC wanted to go and we had to let him. But to now be "surprised" at how expensive a replacement will be is naive at best.

Why are we saying that the 13 million we have to spend on a stiker includes wages when we have the wages of numerous big earners off the books already!?!

Roque was on around 65,000 a week & we would have had to pay him that had he stayed so why is that not used to pay our new striker??

Nicko, there are a few reports around Newcastle that Big Sam will come back in for Barton, if Barton is willing to lower his wage demands. Assuming Shearer eventually gets the job, Barton is out and it is between Blackburn and Birmingham for his signature. You heard much about this.

Why are we saying that the 13 million we have to spend on a stiker includes wages when we have the wages of numerous big earners off the books already!?!

Roque was on around 65,000 a week & we would have had to pay him that had he stayed so why is that not used to pay our new striker??

my thoughts exactly

I can't subscribe to that point of view at all. The occupations you mention involve years of education and training as well as significant amounts of scientific knowledge. Being a football manager does not. It's not as if the average man in the street can watch 10 hours of live surgery every week in order to help them form an opinion.

To suggest that the fans shouldn't criticise because they're not involved in the game is ridiculous. Myself and a few others had that argument thrown at us last Summer when the signs of the Ince disaster were looming, yet not many would argue that his "methods" are beyond reproach now, would they?

Firstly I didn't suggest fans shouldn't criticise. I simply said most people think they know better. They don't. And to a certain extent you answer my point quoting ince. You do need qualifications and you do need experience otherwise anyone could do it. They can't.

And the point about buying and selling used cars a few posts later isctrue only if you know that no research had been done. The poster doesn't know that at all.

Are people saying the £13 million is meant to include wages? That's got to be wrong if so.

That doesn't even make sense anyway, because surely you'd have to budget for the wages of the entire contract, not just one season. What would happen next summer, would we have to sell someone to finance their wages for another year?

I think some people are getting a bit confused!

Nicko, there are a few reports around Newcastle that Big Sam will come back in for Barton, if Barton is willing to lower his wage demands. Assuming Shearer eventually gets the job, Barton is out and it is between Blackburn and Birmingham for his signature. You heard much about this.

Rovers have made no move for Barton at this stage. He doesn't fancy Birmingham City much.

Anyway, are you sure Shearer is going to be the next manager?

Is there a betting market on that one?

Archived