BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Transfer Topic

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That isn't really the point. We knew Santa Cruz was leaving, or at least that the chance was very, very high. We should have had our targets lined up and sounded out. How can we still be looking over names and approaching clubs? We should have had a short-list ready to go and been able to move as soon as the cheque cleared.

I didn't expect us to have all of our summer signings done by now, but the fact that we are making little or no progress with our striker search is a sign of poor work on the part of our scouts and management over the past couple of months.

Did not the club say that they were waiting to see what league they would be in before they started to plan transfers?

Did not the club say that they were waiting to see what league they would be in before they started to plan transfers?

Also there was the question of what they would get for Santa Cruz, how much in installments, etc.

If we've not signed anyone by the start of the season I'll join Eddie in flapping. Until then I'm going to relax and just trust the club to get it right.

Nicko, you reckon we have £7-8 million to spend on a striker? If so where has the rest of the money gone, it was reported we had roughly £13 million? Thought Sam wanted to get the striker situation sorted and if there was some cash left over perhaps bring in another central midfielder...

Do you expect our new striker to play for free?

Well the news coming out of the club is all a bit depressing really.

Whilst I don’t want the club to get into financial trouble, you need to question the motives behind the scenes for not releasing extra funds for a top striker.

Mangers have had little or no financial backing for a number of seasons now, and we almost came a cropper last season, lets hope at the expense of saving 5-10 million we don’t jeopardise 50-60 million for remaining in the premiership.

I think that is the range you were hoping to spend when you asked about players last week...but they are even more expensive than that as we speak...and other, bigger clubs are either in for them or being 'used.'

It is frustrating.

But imagine how the Rovers management feel?

How would you rate Florent Sinama Pongolla as a player? Fully aware he was on loan at Rovers for awhile. But only 24 and must have gained a lot more experience since then. Would he be out of Rovers price?

How would you rate Florent Sinama Pongolla as a player? Fully aware he was on loan at Rovers for awhile. But only 24 and must have gained a lot more experience since then. Would he be out of Rovers price?

It's pretty obvious he's the polar opposite of what Sam is looking for. Very good player but there is 0% chance of Sam signing him to lead the line for us.

Well the news coming out of the club is all a bit depressing really.

Whilst I don’t want the club to get into financial trouble, you need to question the motives behind the scenes for not releasing extra funds for a top striker.

Mangers have had little or no financial backing for a number of seasons now, and we almost came a cropper last season, lets hope at the expense of saving 5-10 million we don’t jeopardise 50-60 million for remaining in the premiership.

Exactly how I'm feeling !!!!

Nicko

There doesn't seem to be many big transfers going on at any club at the minute

Are all clubs having similar problems with inflated prices?

Yes, fair point. Big prices, limited quality talent out there.

However your [Rovers] need for a striker is fairly acute.

It's pretty obvious he's the polar opposite of what Sam is looking for. Very good player but there is 0% chance of Sam signing him to lead the line for us.

Does he not play as a striker and as a winger - therefore a player who can play in different positions when called on to do so - a Sam type player.

who would you think is our first choice striker now nicko? and do you know when hoilett will be officially announced?

If I knew that I would have written it.

No idea why the club is being so sluggish with the Hoilett news...but, to be fair, their case to the panel was very professional.

i don`t really understand the panic. even if we start the season as we are we`ll have added reid, dunn, emerton and roberts to the squad that ended last season in top 10 form. yes we need a front man, but we don`t want to be ripped off. we have a certain amount of cash and need to be getting this decision right, let`s cut sam and the club a little slack eh? it`s fine to speculate(as i have too) and get excited about possibilities, but first and foremost we are rovers fans and WILL be there no matter what(hopefully). also the question of money `disappearing`- i think to be honest it`s clear that rovers cannot sustain finacially a season like last unlike clubs that fill their stadiums with full price paying punters, the lower we drop down the league the more it eats away at transfer funds for the following season. let`s face it, even when we finished top 7 we were only getting around 3m tops a season for transfer funds(before player sales), so it`s no surprise that last season`s finish put us at a minus situation.

on the other issue regarding paddy kenny-

isn`t it incredibly ironic that sheffield utd will likely now have to compensate PNE for lost premier league revenue? after all that crap they went through to get their money, they are now likely going to have to go through it all again, this time as wrongdoers.

ok. so do you know if hoilett has joined the rest of the team already?

I believe he had to leave the country, probably to Canada, get his visa/permit processed and then return...so it's an 'any day now' job.

The main thing is you will finally get to see him in a Rovers strip soon.

I can almost hear unleaded blubbing with emotion on that one.

It's driving me a bit mental right now. I have never known your club chase so many players in such a short space of time- and those are only the fraction I know about.

No complaints about their efforts, but it is confirming some fears about the current striker market.

And, you can't say 'we should have planned ahead' because that just doesn't happen.

Ask Fergie or Michael Owen. Some things happen on impulse...and in a day.

Or even Eric Cantona, the most inspired signing ever and yet a total accident.

I am fairly relaxed about things at the moment - we are showing a desire to get players in, and by the sounds of it we are being very pro-active rather than in past seasons where we have "appeared" to be quite slow and not very aggressive in pursuing an array of targets, possibly due to financial restrictions.

I think we can take heart in the fact that the club are trying hard to progress and improve the squad and first team :-)

just to add to my last post, we signed benni mccarthy sometime around the end of july as bellamy`s replacement(i remember as i was on holiday at the time), there is lots of time left to make a main striker signing yet. it`s even possible somebody will become available in a few weeks that isn`t available right now. it could be worth the wait.

my hope is still for us to sign janko, but whoever we get i` ll back sam`s choice as he knows better than all of us who suits his team.

Any idea how much Pavel Pogrebnyak would cost, Nicko? I know this isn't the first time I've mentioned him but surely he must be a 'live' one if they aren't demanding ridiculous money for him.

Between £6-8 million perhaps?

I believe he had to leave the country, probably to Canada, get his visa/permit processed and then return...so it's an 'any day now' job.

The main thing is you will finally get to see him in a Rovers strip soon.

I can almost hear unleaded blubbing with emotion on that one.

The club are quite possibly waiting for him to join up with the squad so they can take a few pictures and get a word with him in the story once they write it.

There's no rush, I don't imagine they expect it to make huge waves outside of the hardcore support/unleaded's bedroom.

Archived