BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

Been there and done it at Bolton. Failed at Newcastle.

I find it slightly uninspiring that you group us in the same class as Bolton. When Souness was in charge I used to laugh at the Bolton football philosophy yet now I am supposed to lap it up. It makes it even worse when fans of other teams say we are "suited" to each other.

We are at the same level as Bolton. Only an idiot would deny that. Our footballing philosophy has nothing to do with who we can afford to buy, it works the other way around and that's just the way it is. That is why Big Sam is probably the ideal manager for Rovers right now.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forget the prejudce, bitterness, bigotry, stupidity.

There is one good reason to oppose the Davies signing.

It can only mean that Allardyce plans to replicate the Bolton extra-terrestrial football, with Davies as battering ram, Diouf as fiendish second-ball battler and so on.

I don't care what Bolton achieved with those tactics but I think that they are contrary to the spirit - the aesthetic and entertainment - of football.

If football is all about results and the actual game doesn't matter, why watch matches? FOr the see-saw suspense of anticipating the final result? Well, just watch the vidi-printer.

This sucks.

Football is all about results rover6 or do you expect people to pay good money to watch their team attempt to play good football and then get relegated. Perhaps you don't recall the boring football that we played under Howard Kendall but we had two tremendously successful seasons and the fans loved it. Football is a results business.

If Sam adopts the same tactics as he did at Bolton and keeps the Rovers in the Premier League the Boardroom and supporters will be more than happy. I've seen all of the games we've played under Sam and I certainly don't have a problem with his tactics or approach to the game. Our main aim is to retain Premier League status. He delivered last season and I believe he will do so again.

Nicko. Is it possible we have other striker targets you just haven't heard about? :unsure:

I find it unlikely our striker wanted list consists of two strikers. Di Santo and Davies?

Kevin Davies is the name at the top of the manager's wanted list.

End of.

No others are being pursued just now [apart from the Di Santo deal which you know all about].

Abuse the power you have Mr.Nixon :rover:

Is Davies, Roque's replacement or Derbyshire's?

As neither of them played much last season it's a bit hard to say...

Basically you are about to sell two and bring in two.

The manager would like Davies to be one of them. Di Santo would be the other.

If he is the replacement for Derbyshire, then I would be more than happy as he is a much better all round player than Derbyshire, and has proven this week in week out for Bolton in the Premier League.

Nicko, have you heard anything from the Davies camp to suggest that he would fancy a move to Ewood?

Football is all about results rover6 or do you expect people to pay good money to watch their team attempt to play good football and then get relegated. Perhaps you don't recall the boring football that we played under Howard Kendall but we had two tremendously successful seasons and the fans loved it. Football is a results business.

If Sam adopts the same tactics as he did at Bolton and keeps the Rovers in the Premier League the Boardroom and supporters will be more than happy. I've seen all of the games we've played under Sam and I certainly don't have a problem with his tactics or approach to the game. Our main aim is to retain Premier League status. He delivered last season and I believe he will do so again.

Well said sir !

Please post it again each time someone complains about lack of "entertainment".

West Brom anyone ?

Guest benmaxwell

End of.

No others are being pursued just now [apart from the Di Santo deal which you know all about].

That's pathetic if true.

End of.

Nicko - though from your previous quotes you obviously rate Davies - do you agree with the concerns of this MB -

1. £5m would be a significant fee for somebody over 30

2. Given the average age of our squad - we really need to be buying players with a longer shelf life.

My own opinion - I think Davies would enable us to stand still - but offers nothing for the future. We have a good recetn record of buying in youngish talent and selling them on for a profit - Davies would be a £5m outlay - with probably no return.

Given Rovers finances - I think it would be a mistake to buy a player as old as Davies - irrespective of his talents.

Nicko - though from your pevious quotes you obviously rate Davies - do you agree with the concerns of this MB -

1. £5m would be a significant fee for somebody over 30

2. Given the average age of our squad - we really need to be buying players with a longer shelf life.

My own opinion - I think Davies would enable us to stand still - but offers nothing for the future. We have a good recetn record of buying in youngish talent and selling them on for a profit - Davies would be a £5m outlay - with probably no return.

Given Rovers finances - I think it would be a mistake to buy a player as old as Davies - irrespective of his talents.

I can see why people reckon a big fee is too much for a player of his age. Yes, there is no re-sale value. However you only usually get two or three good seasons out of any striker...and you would have as good a chance of value for money from him as anyone else.

You also have 'free' money from Roque coming your way. He is NOT worth the £15 million you will make on him, which is a hefty profit of around £11 million or so. So in those circumstances you could maybe over-pay a bit on a new striker.

As for players over a certain age not being worth money I would compare Davies to Brad Friedel. Both signed on frees and went on to prove top men in their position. So much so that Villa paid a decent price for Brad, quite fairly in most people's minds.

Guest benmaxwell

Nicko, how many players after Di Santo and Davies (if they happen) do you see coming in.

I hope Sam recognises our midfield needing work.

Nicko, how many players after Di Santo and Davies (if they happen) do you see coming in.

I hope Sam recognises our midfield needing work.

I'm sure he does, but apart from Rothen I have not heard of any other names just yet. There could be others, but they have not surfaced.

It's only been a few days since Rovers found out they were likely to come into the Roque windfall.

That changes a lot of things.

Guest benmaxwell

Was Davies a target before we knew we were selling Roque...

Is it not possible that Sam will refocus his attention now he knows he has more to spend?

Was Davies a target before we knew we were selling Roque...

Is it not possible that Sam will refocus his attention now he knows he has more to spend?

Davies has been a target 'if' Roque goes...and he is just about to.

I'm sure he does, but apart from Rothen I have not heard of any other names just yet. There could be others, but they have not surfaced.

It's only been a few days since Rovers found out they were likely to come into the Roque windfall.

What so you haven't heard about the Messi link? :o Call yourself a journalist pssht :P

When will the Derbyshire and Roque deals go through, so we would see these deals for Di Santo and Davies be pushed through? OR are City playing a waiting game..

Guest benmaxwell
Davies has been a target 'if' Roque goes...and he is just about to.

Sorry i have to ask. Do you really rate Davies higher then Roque?!

Why would Davies want to come to us? Apart from BFS being the manager, I cannot think why at this stage of his career he would want to start again, at a club he flopped at after a big money move which antagonized the natives hugely (just read this thread for evidence) for probably the same sort of wages he is currently on.

Don't see it happening me self to be honest.

In reality definately not, Roque is a quality player, good in the air, reasonable pace,holds the ball up well, link up play and given a run of games, scores goals. excellent a top class Striker.

Sam didnt want to lose him so he ha to be replaced !!

On the strength of last season - and most of the previous four or five - there is no contest. Davies wins every time.

Roque had ONE good campaign for Rovers.

Check the stats.

Did you read the Sam Allardyce and Hypocrasy of Rovers supports. I think he wrote it just so he could use his favourite word!!

Been reading a few of his 'articles'. He's quite a hateful individual really isn't he.

"Derbyshire is the epitome of what's wrong in society. The finest example of someone who gets everything handed to them without earning it."

unreal

Guest benmaxwell
Roque had ONE good campaign for Rovers.

Check the stats.

The same could be said about Davies last term. Check the stats?

Roque has more time on his side then Davies, and anyone can circum to a injury...

I SERIOUSLY HOPE THAT THIS IS SPECULATION IS A LOAD OF BOBBINS!!!

Not the type of signing I was expecting really, maybe a similar player 5-7 years younger, but not at 32 years old, having flopped at Ewood once, and possibly one of the dirtiest & nasty strikers (if you can call him a striker) I have ever seen play, and to boot costing as much as £5m.

I suppose just to rub salt in the wounds, I bet if we sign him, Sam will give him our famous number 9 shirt (as worn by some of this countrys finest strikers, Shearer & Cole to name the 2 that most spring to mind for me). this guy doesnt deserve to even look at the shirt, nevermind wear it!!! (I hope at this point he never had it the first time he was here as I cant remember, even if he has worn it before, he doesnt deserve it now!!!)

Please let this be a load of pants, or that JW wakes up tonight in a hot sweat, having just dreamed that a god like figure sporting a Rovers shirt came to him in a dream and said "if you sign Kevin Davies, you will die instantly!!!"

I hope someone down at Ewood wakes up, sorts the job out and doesnt let Sam do his mate a favour & get him a little wage rise!!!

I SERIOUSLY HOPE THAT THIS IS SPECULATION IS A LOAD OF BOBBINS!!!

Not the type of signing I was expecting really, maybe a similar player 5-7 years younger, but not at 32 years old, having flopped at Ewood once, and possibly one of the dirtiest & nasty strikers (if you can call him a striker) I have ever seen play, and to boot costing as much as £5m.

I suppose just to rub salt in the wounds, I bet if we sign him, Sam will give him our famous number 9 shirt (as worn by some of this countrys finest strikers, Shearer & Cole to name the 2 that most spring to mind for me). this guy doesnt deserve to even look at the shirt, nevermind wear it!!! (I hope at this point he never had it the first time he was here as I cant remember, even if he has worn it before, he doesnt deserve it now!!!)

Please let this be a load of pants, or that JW wakes up tonight in a hot sweat, having just dreamed that a god like figure sporting a Rovers shirt came to him in a dream and said "if you sign Kevin Davies, you will die instantly!!!"

I hope someone down at Ewood wakes up, sorts the job out and doesnt let Sam do his mate a favour & get him a little wage rise!!!

Stupidity taken to a higher level. Well done.

Archived