BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

I completely understand your reasoning Nicko and Davies will no doubt do a job for a couple of season's.

But surely we should have a mix up top with a big man (Davies/Di Santo) and somebody with pace to get in behind defences? For too long have we been one dimensional and our team is crying out for both pace and creativity.

I'd not be against Davies if we were to bring in some pace to compliment him, but if we're bringing in Mr X and Y already then I can't see this happening.

The only season that matters is the next one...

You saw what happened when experiments were made a year ago. Vital money was lost in league placings and - in some cases - bad signings.

If you manage to pair Davies and Di Santo next season I would imagine you are looking at 9th to 12th place rather than bottom five or six. That is worth fortunes in league placing money.

Di Santo is a 'wages only' deal and potentially one of the signings of the summer. Davies would cost more than you would want to normally pay. But as a pairing it is relatively cheap.

I can't get my head round the fact that I think this is an exciting plan - and I don't even support your team.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest benmaxwell
Di Santo is a 'wages only' deal and potentially one of the signings of the summer. Davies would cost more than you would want to normally pay. But as a pairing it is relatively cheap.

How much do you think Sam would be willing to pay for Davies max?

How much would it take Bolton to let him go?

Would rather we had Di Santo (tall and good finisher) and Darren Bent (pace, creativity and good finisher)...

Err, not sure if this has been said already but I'm pretty sure Nicko said:

Mr X and Mr Y were to compensate for Derbyshire and "that's not even taking Roque into the equation".

Which seems to suggest we'll be looking at A.N.Other plus Davies.

Oh and for what it's worth, I'm not totally against Davies. He scores his fair share, is a pain in the arse for opposition teams and knows BFS. My only issue is the cost.

You saw what happened when experiments were made a year ago. Vital money was lost in league placings and - in some cases - bad signings.

If you manage to pair Davies and Di Santo next season I would imagine you are looking at 9th to 12th place rather than bottom five or six. That is worth fortunes in league placing money.

I can't get my head round the fact that I think this is an exciting plan - and I don't even support your team.

My take on things too. I jsut can't see a. Bolton letting him go, or b. Him wanting to come here.

Guest benmaxwell
Mr X and Mr Y were to compensate for Derbyshire and "that's not even taking Roque into the equation".

Derbs out: £3.5 million

Davies in: £5 million

Represents bloody awful value for money if you ask me!

So you would rather pay £5m-£6m for Davies and 2 years then the same fee for Janko and 6 years? :blink:

I'd rather give Janko the chance personally, our squad is aged enough as it is!

Please read my posts, I said if it was a good deal, 3M or around there and yes I would take him over Janko. At the end of the day they got him for free, he's given good service and if its what he wants they may move the goal posts, may.

However Personally I wouldn't be in for any of them, they are not my idea of footballers.

But Davies for good money with a tall and reasonably quick Di Santo, with Benni and Roberts as back-up, means we have two potentially good strike forces.

Sam has his way we all knew that when he came, don't forget those two make for quite an ariel threat, and our goals from set-pieces would increase. Samba Di Santo and the mighty leaping midget would take some marking.

I'd love to ask one question on Janko, why is he still playing in Austria?????? why has no single club paid the 6M (very cheap for a quality striker) even now the fanfares gone away and the only club he's being linked to is us, why?

30 goals before december and then 9 up till the end of the season if he's the world beater people are making him out to be why did they dry up???

People should stop using Utube, give me a cam and a player and I'll have you thinking he's the next Pele, it wouldn't be hard.

Benmaxwell, I'm a strong voice on youth at rovers always have been always will be, but I'm not prepared to gamble our future with Janko and a huge gamble he is especially considering 6M plus signing and wages would take the best part of all our budget. Cheap but proven striker means serious cash for areas that are really weak.

Why Kevin Davies when we have Chris Samba? :lol:

£5 million is a lot of money for someone who will play in the top flight for a maximum of 2-3 years, resale value is none.

To answer another question, there are quality centre forwards available who can do it in the premier league, a realistic one being John Carew?

29 years old and scores goals and is an excellent target man.

I am downbeat about the money being spent on KD but the player I have no issue with as it is exactly what we need if we want a target man.

F*** this, and F*** YOU FAT ALLARDYCE.

Sign Joey Barton while you're at it you despicable toad.

Why the hell would ANYONE want to watch "football" at Ewood next season with this "style" in the offing?

P.S. Nicko - I'm absolutely staggered by your take on this potential transfer. As a "football man" (and a fan of sides who play like Burnley) I thought Davies' very existence would repulse you. You're openly advocating that our front two come August should be a 33-year-old one-dimensional huddy (who DOES NOT score many goals) and an untried, untested youngster who we wouldn't even own.)

JANKO - is he worth the money? He represents better value for money then Davies FACT. is he any good? YES what league does he play in again? What a stupid stupid comment to come out with as a seasoned journo you should know better... I have heard similar comments said about the Dutch league. To dismiss a player because of the league he plays in is stupid. why is he not a regular starter for Austria?

Sorry Nicko. I agree with you on allot of things. But on this matter i strongly disagree with you.

If Bolton will require a large sum of money (over £3m) for Davies, then Sam should look elsewhere (having said that IMO he should look elsewhere regardless). If he blasts a insane amount on Davies, he is compromising the future development of our team, and taking investment out of other key positions in the squad and other potential better players who would be in the same value bracket. Our team needs improving, this is not the way to do it!

'benmaxwell', I know you claim to be some sort of journalist, but your endless posting of derivative junk mail is starting to wear a bit thin. Maybe calm down and give it a bit of a rest for a while, eh?

Besides which, everybody knows that anyone who puts FACT in bold at the end of a sentence is a gayer.

wouldnt buy him from the pound shop...HAND ON HEART I THINK HE HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST POUND FOR POUND WASTE OF MONEY IN THE WORLD!!!!

100% PATHETIC WHEN HE WAS HERE..

Agree but a lot has changed in the last decade and Kevin Davies is clearly a very good target man.

Biggest waste of money in the world? Mendieta- joined Lazio for over £40 million and joined Boro on a free 2 years later!

I've been giving this potential signing a lot of thought all morning at work (it was a slow morning :lol: ), but I'm starting to come round to the idea of Davies in a Rovers shirt (again).

His record over the last few seasons in the league is just as good/better than what we have at present. Davies's has brought much more to Bolton than any of our players have in overall play for the last 5 years. He has scored and assisted in more goals than any of our players have.

I have also noted Fergie's constant moaning about him prior to every game against them. He has a superior injury record to everyone of our current crop and seems to run through walls for Bolton.

My only problem with any proposed deal is the stupid money we'd have to pay for an aging player!

I mean after experiencing the Robbie Fowler fiasco I can't see us ever signing such a poor player ever again :)

According to this article which was on the back page of the Bolton News paper on Friday, he wouldn't want a move away he's kinda calling the shots really saying they need this and that, why would he want to move to us we wouldn't give him the captaincy surely not, so if Bolton did sell him it wouldn't be his decision to move, so I'm beginning to think would he actually play well for us? If we failed in a bid for him would I be bothered, hmmmm probably not. He is still a decent player though.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/44471...__Kevin_Davies/

Guest benmaxwell
'benmaxwell', I know you claim to be some sort of journalist, but your endless posting of derivative junk mail is starting to wear a bit thin. Maybe calm down and give it a bit of a rest for a while, eh?

Besides which, everybody knows that anyone who puts FACT in bold at the end of a sentence is a gayer.

I am calm, and i don't need a sarcastic man-child like you talking down to me. Your post is neither intelligent, helpful or progressive to this this discussion.

Also, i think the moderators have warned several times, not to talk about a persons work life on here...

Also, i never claimed to be a journo... I am in the media circuit, but not a Journo.

I have to admit........I have a soft spot for Davies. He went through torrid times early in his career but eventually picked himself up and made a niche for himself at Bolton.

He causes problems for all defences but 5 million or so for someone his age doesn't make sense to me.

I am sorry leftfooter, I understand that like all of us we are entiltled to our views which may or not be the views of others, likewise Ben is entitled to his!!

We are all Rovers fans and insults to a fellow Supporter is uneccessary!!

Please read my posts, I said if it was a good deal, 3M or around there and yes I would take him over Janko. At the end of the day they got him for free, he's given good service and if its what he wants they may move the goal posts, may.

However Personally I wouldn't be in for any of them, they are not my idea of footballers.

But Davies for good money with a tall and reasonably quick Di Santo, with Benni and Roberts as back-up, means we have two potentially good strike forces.

Sam has his way we all knew that when he came, don't forget those two make for quite an ariel threat, and our goals from set-pieces would increase. Samba Di Santo and the mighty leaping midget would take some marking.

I'd love to ask one question on Janko, why is he still playing in Austria?????? why has no single club paid the 6M (very cheap for a quality striker) even now the fanfares gone away and the only club he's being linked to is us, why?

30 goals before december and then 9 up till the end of the season if he's the world beater people are making him out to be why did they dry up???

People should stop using Utube, give me a cam and a player and I'll have you thinking he's the next Pele, it wouldn't be hard.

Benmaxwell, I'm a strong voice on youth at rovers always have been always will be, but I'm not prepared to gamble our future with Janko and a huge gamble he is especially considering 6M plus signing and wages would take the best part of all our budget. Cheap but proven striker means serious cash for areas that are really weak.

If Davies comes he will not come cheap. Why should he? Bolton don't want or have to sell. We cannot afford to blow the percentage of our transfer budget that he represents on an elderly striker. Like it or not strikers peak earlier than defenders or keepers and probably midfielders too. He is uninspiring, expensive and soon to be past it. I know we need to be careful with cash but if this is us being careful then perhaps we should just give in to the inevitable and volunteer for relegation next season and save the players the trouble of trying.

Perhaps it's because you don't support our team and therefore don't have to spend hard earned cash watching them that you think it's exciting. An almost unheard of kid that is supposedly a good prospect but none of us has seen enough to judge and an almost past it expensive, disliked, dirty player that very few here would list among their top ten choices won't draw the crowds and won't keep those who go interested. Whenever i've watched Bolton I've said "If I were a Bolton fan, I wouldn't pay to watch this lot ever" Well, I for one am reaching the point where I'll be saying that about Rovers. I know it feels good when you win and it's better than losing for sure, but then you do have to look at the quality of what you are watching and we've been spoilt by having some good performers over recent years, forwards who have provided excitement and style and which of the players we are supposedly looking at bringing in will give us one iota of what we've had with Bellamy or RSC?

F*** this, and F*** YOU FAT ALLARDYCE.

Sign Joey Barton while you're at it you despicable toad.

Why the hell would ANYONE want to watch "football" at Ewood next season with this "style" in the offing?

P.S. Nicko - I'm absolutely staggered by your take on this potential transfer. As a "football man" (and a fan of sides who play like Burnley) I thought Davies' very existence would repulse you. You're openly advocating that our front two come August should be a 33-year-old one-dimensional huddy (who DOES NOT score many goals) and an untried, untested youngster who we wouldn't even own.)

How about you get behind your team . I dont want Davies but if he comes then so be it , you dont turn your back on your team ever, again it needs spelling out we are Blackburn Rovers. Total football did west Brom a lot of good didnt it, in any case i think Nicko has fallen in to the trap of lazy journo, do we really think Davies will come back to Rovers after the stick he's had ?

Perhaps it's because you don't support our team and therefore don't have to spend hard earned cash watching them that you think it's exciting.

Any fan who pays their money is entitled to their opinion in my book.

However I have seen Davies many times over the past few years - from a neutral perspective - and he has been outstanding in 85-90 per cent of those matches.

Ask any player or opposition manager who they fear facing and they say him.

Archived