BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How will his 12 goals for Notlob last season keep us up next season?? :wacko:

If he scores 12 for us, as is likely we will stay up. Its very rare that a team goes down when they have a player that hits 12 -15 goals a season.

He knows the league players hate playing against him and he brings others into play, far less riskier than say Janko or Zigic. As long as he's not expensive I'm OK with it.

So you would rather have a 32 year old Rovers reject who's best years are behind him, scores on average 0.8 goals every 2 games as our replacement for our main goalscorer then a 21 year old quality creative midfielder we have all been screaming out for, for God knows how many years, who scores 8 goals a season and is a full USA international footballer who has suceeded in Germany and Holland who would be the perfect source of goals for a top quality striker like Darren Bent or Marc Janko, who we could afford? :unsure:

Gladback finished just above the relegation zone he hit 5 goals and 1 assist,(ESPN) last season in the Bundsliga. I believe we can do better, a lot of teams looked at him last year and said no. Now that doesn't mean much but I'm not going to get excited about a player in a international tournement because it means nothing in reality, Diouf poborsky ring any bells. Neuville played up front most of the season and whilst old he's a good striker he got one goal in 23 starts, his lowest ever tally, don't forget he was still playing for germany till the end of 2008, so he's still a player. Must have had lots of great balls from this creative midfielder. I saw the 2-2 against Bayern, he scored but could have done better.

Being a full USA international doesn't mean anything thats the same argument as Andrews on another thread. I think he would struggle in the prem at present. I don't disagree we need a creative midfielder but theres a lot better for 6M than Bradley. I could see him in the squad but we need better as a starter.

0.8 every two games is better than most of our current strike force I'd call it improvement.

I'd take Bent, but never would I even consider Janko.

Your really keen on Janko, all because he had one purple patch, can I ask what happened to him after the half way point of last year didn't he already have 30 goals odd at that stage, You'll notice he didn't win the golden boot even with that tally and the maths. He had 30 goals before Christmas and 39 at the end, he's too big a risk for our club. Alves ripped the dutch league, Kezman as well and Kezman couldn't hit the back door of a barn with chelsea's midfield behind him and Alves well just ask middlesbourgh fans. He scored against Italy which is good but one game is not enough and Italy are on the decline. Given that he's hit so many you would have thought someone would have gone in for him by now, but no-one has, why? 6M for a top quality striker is peanuts these days.

He's too big a risk, you must see that?

We must have striker who will hit 10+ in the league next year.

We cannot afford one single mistake so must be very diligent in our signings this summer, we had too many last summer.

I'm a strong believer in us signing more youngsters, but not for the sake of it.

I've backed Sam so far but I would be absolutely devastated if this happened. I thought for once we might use a big transfer windfall to set us up for the future.

I hope someone sees sense and doesn't allow this to happen.

I'm a strong believer in us signing more youngsters, but not for the sake of it.

There's a lot of middle ground between signing youngsters and signing 32 year olds.

If he does sign for us I just hope people get off his back and let his football do the talking.OFF HIS BACK? FOOTBALL?? DONT YOU REMEBER LAST TIME HE WAS HERE....LAZY BONE IDLE DRUNK WASTE OF SPACE!!!!!

He works extremely hard as a player,NOT AT EWOOD HE DIDNT!!!!!! i've watched him a lot it's difficult not to when I live in a house full of Bolton fans, his tackling for a front man is the best i've seen,DIRTIEST PLAYER OF THE SEASON ..FACT!!!! he did a nice crunching tackle on someone last season right near the touchline I remember MOTD commenting on how good it was, he's probably one of the best all round players in the league, i can't really think of one forward player who can tackle like he can, he can play in different positions too which is always a bonus, he can play off the front man and his heading of the ball onto forward players is awesome, kinda what a goal poacher like McCarthy would love to play alongside if we got another decent finisher our attacking force would seem complete, I think he'd be used as a more attacking midfielder who plays off the front men he's not the ideal replacement "to fill Roque Santa Cruz''s boots" imo. I'm wondering if we buy two strikers Davies being one of them, where would Roberts fit into the equation.

What is the big deal with a player aged 32, ok he's no spring chicken but surely we'd get a good four years out of himGOOD SEASONS?? HES USELESS I think if we offered £4 million for him Phil Gartside would be rubbing his hands he's only interested in the moneyIF WE OFFERED FOUR MILLION I THINK GARTSIDE WOULD JACK OFF, he's not interested in pleasing the supporters they all dislike him anyway, paying £4 million and getting 4 years out of him would mean over a £1 million spent on him a seasonWHAT ABOUT THE MILLIONS WEVE WASTED ON HIM BEFORE...4 MILLION I WOULDNT GIVE FOUR PENNY CHEWS FOR HIM, would it be worth it I actually think it would. He's a player who wants to play football maybe he wants the chance to prove all the Rovers fans wrong. If I was a good enough player I'd want to prove all my doubters wrong.IF HE WAS GOOD ENOUGH HED HAVE DONE IT WHEN HE WAS IN PRIME AT EWOOD!!!!

it would be nice to see a relatively exciting name.

Exciting Names?? We went through this before we got Sam, Laudrup etc big names, I am not into names, I hadnt heard much of Santa Cruz, Nelsen, Samba etc till they came to Rovers, names mean nothing except a greater expense to the club and not neccessarily successful, Janco, Zidic etc are untried at this level of football and the fees and wages could cripple us and we have a flop on our hands!! I'll give you some names, Martins, Duff, Owen, Beye, Loverkrands to name a few of the Newcastle relegation squad!!

However, having said all that, I do feel we need some youth and pace in the side!!

Oh, we hadnt heard of Pienaar either!!

I think you will see a fitter an quicker side next season anyway, whoever we sign, the scientific approach in training will prevent a repeat of the pathetic excuse for pre season preparations lasty year

Exciting Names?? We went through this before we got Sam, Laudrup etc big names, I am not into names, I hadnt heard much of Santa Cruz, Nelsen, Samba etc till they came to Rovers, names mean nothing except a greater expense to the club and not neccessarily successful, Janco, Zidic etc are untried at this level of football and the fees and wages could criple us and wehve a flop on our hands!! I'll give you some names, Martins, Duff, Owen, Beye, Loverkrands to name a few of the Newcastle relegation squad!!

I'm seeing a flaw in your argument. Can you see what it is?

At least nicko knows what he's talking about, no offence to people but saying he's terrible is just rubbish, i can understand anyone's frustration with what happened last time, i think that's how people are judging him as a player, he's moved on since then, developed into a decent player, a lot of pressure was on him to perform last time after we paid a lot of money for him, it will be again this time if we sign him, he's got the fans to prove wrong which is always difficult but if he knows deep down, he has the confidence and the ability to prove his doubters wrong then he'll take this opportunity.

*Abbey i did try quoting you it didn't work*

Well that's your opinion he can only prove you and all the rest who doubt him wrong.

Dirtiest player have you seen where we ended up in the fair play league without Davies :rolleyes: You probably think Warnock is the finest tackler on this planet too.

He likes Allardyce, we'll increase his wages. He'll come.

This may be true but he has had arguably his best two seasons since Allardyce left them. On the wages, I don't know how much he is paid but we are not known for paying high wages. I can't see him wanting to come here and I hope I'm right. Surely Allardyce must see the need for pace in the side.

There's a lot of middle ground between signing youngsters and signing 32 year olds.

Everyone on here should know exactly how I feel about youth.

Davies is proven in the league will score 10 at least, and about half in assists. as long as its about 3M, personnally I think its a good deal.

We can still bring in some younger players in other area's, but getting a striker who will score 10+ for that money is good business, even if its Kevin Davies at 32. RSC is off the wage bill, others will be as well, if we can then get say Civelli that would leave a lot of money left over for Sam too play with.

Bolton signed him on a free, he's been very loyal to the club as long as he wants the move I can see him coming for a reasonable price.

With reference to pace Di santo is reasonably quick as well.

I don’t think anyone can be surprised by this rumour, Sam has always liked playing with a big target man upfront. Roberts and Samba at the end of last season, Davis while he was at Bolton.

Often a managers best signings are often players that they have worked with before, Friedel and Bellamy for example.

I had a feeling that we might end up spending 10 million on Crouch while we where playing Portsmouth last season. But if we are only going to spend 5 on Davis might suggest that Sam thinks he needs to spend some money elsewhere, in midfield hopefully

I also doubt we will end up spending to much more than he’s worth, mainly because we haven’t got too much to splash out. But as we’ve found out with Roque over the last year if a player wants a move there isn’t any point keeping them, because they will just act like a spoilt brat for 12 months, while you pay them 30k a week for the privilege.

Exciting Names?? We went through this before we got Sam, Laudrup etc big names, I am not into names, I hadnt heard much of Santa Cruz

Oh, we hadnt heard of Pienaar either!!

You don't know enough about European football then, so no point having this conversation. Both Pienaar and Santa Cruz were very well known players.

Davies is proven in the league will score 10 at least, and about half in assists.

Really? He seems to fall just short most seasons.

46 goals in 210 games for notlob. Hardly setting the world on fire.

PL goals

08/09: 12

07/08: 3

06/07: 8

05/06: 7

04/05: 8

03/04: 9

I've seen plenty of him, dating back to when he was at Southampton and all through his career. He does a job, he was a good signing for Bolton, but he isn't worth paying 4-5 million for. HE IS 32. We will have to replace him within two years and he will have no sell-on value whatsoever. We have money to spend now and supposedly we are looking to bring in a bunch of 30 year olds so that we can generate no income from transfers in a few years and have no money to spend to replace them?

Just a terrible transfer. Santa Cruz for Kevin Davies? I was all for selling Santa Cruz, but we need to bring in someone who will be our BEST PLAYER to replace him. Not someone who can just do one job. Saying he is one of the best all round players in the league? Rubbish. He's a mediocre forward who uses his size to cause trouble and makes up for his lack of ability by working hard. Sound familiar? He's (possibly) a slighty better version of Jason Roberts. What would the reaction have been if Ince had tried to sign Davies?

I'm quite simply furious.

I agree completely Eddie.

*Abbey i did try quoting you it didn't work*

Well that's your opinion he can only prove you and all the rest who doubt him wrong.

Dirtiest player have you seen where we ended up in the fair play league without Davies :rolleyes: You probably think Warnock is the finest tackler on this planet too.

It was in the papers he commited more fouls than anyone else...alls i can say if you believe in slobdavies then you have been brainwashed by the bolton fans in your house. warnock gives 100% ...davie didnt give 5% to us and thus DOES NOT DESEVER TO WEAR A ROVERS SHIRT EVER AGAIN!

Kevin Davies is a good player, but he’s to old to be spending 5million on, what we need is Kevin Davies but hmmm ten years younger :wacko:

Didn't we have him when he WAS ten years younger?

Anyone remember the Telegraph article when he arrived last time where he "Modestly" downplayed comparisons to Shearer? A lot like Ince's "Not yet" remark - asking for trouble further down the line.

Guest benmaxwell
JANKO - is he worth the money? He represents better value for money then Davies FACT. is he any good? YES what league does he play in again? What a stupid stupid comment to come out with as a seasoned journo you should know better... I have heard similar comments said about the Dutch league. To dismiss a player because of the league he plays in is stupid. why is he not a regular starter for Austria? Possibly because Austria has a new coach who has had a shakeup in the ranks replacing ageing players with younger players like Janko. Look at their first team for goodness sakes. Erwin Hoffer Age 22 - 11 Caps - Stefan Maierhofer Age 26 - 5 Caps - Rubin Okotie Age 22 - 4 Caps - Marc Janko Age 25 - 9 Caps and 3 Goals. The fact is Janko has become a regular starter under their new manager

ZIGIC - how much? why have so many looked and not bid? Possibly because Valencia have decided they want to sell and not loan. Teams have been put off because the asking price is too high? Only about £2 million more then you have linked us with for Davies mind?

DZEKO - out of the price range and probably bound for bigger things. Agreed. Null point.

Kevin Davies is as good as any target man in the Premier League. OK, the age is an issue and you would have to pay miles over the top. - Davies is not as good as any target man in the Premier League. If anyone other then Mr Nixon had said that, they would have been torn a new one! We have articles in newspapers claiming that Roque is not as good as people think, as he has had just one good season in the Premier League, what's to say Davies will replicate the same form next season with different players around him and age creaping up on him?

But if your manager - who is no mug - rates him, then you have to back him. - No we don't. Sam has not managed Davies since 2007. He has changed as a player due to his age. The chances of him having the same kind of season at a different club next term is highly unlikely! To replace a prolific goalscorer like Cruz with a ageing hasbeen like Davies or a untried loan is stupid and a horrific waste of money that we cannot afford! I'm all for us giving Di Santo a try. But bringing in Di Santo on loan and Davies perminantly is crazy! it doesn't improve our squad in the shorterm or longterm. By the time they have properly settled, one will be returning to Chelsea, and the other will be thinking of retirement. Talk about two ends of the spectrum! A signing like Darren Bent alongside Di Santo would have made sense. To think we could sign Davies for £5 million, £2 millionish short of Bent's asking price makes me shudder!

This deal will only happen if the price is big - bigger than it should be - but the idea of Davies as a Roque replacement is very good.

Sorry Nicko. I agree with you on allot of things. But on this matter i strongly disagree with you.

If Bolton will require a large sum of money (over £3m) for Davies, then Sam should look elsewhere (having said that IMO he should look elsewhere regardless). If he blasts a insane amount on Davies, he is compromising the future development of our team, and taking investment out of other key positions in the squad and other potential better players who would be in the same value bracket. Our team needs improving, this is not the way to do it!

Roberts is 31. If we did sign Davies I can't see where Roberts would fit in other than on the bench, he wouldn't want that at least he had a few chances to shine, what if Sam offers Roberts and cash :unsure: Oh no this is quite worrying now, we can only assume what will happen and I think it's a little premature to be even thinking of him playing for us again.

Archived